kids today: just keep getting better. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Good point from above.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Yeah, from what I can tell, we're having a lot less sex than my parents were havin back in the day
__________________

__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 07:10 AM


especially those of us whose parents came of age in the 60s!

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 02:10 AM
that's what I'm sayin
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
finally something positive about my generation! thanks irvine

i want to ask some people not to make sweeping generalizations about "kids today" since i am in fact on of those "kids".

i've only got 10 years on you, but that stuff drove me CRAZY when i was in high school. i've worked with kids on and off for years, and, for the most part, things haven't changed all that much. we had horrible rumors about promiscuous kids back then, we had drugs, we had lots of drinking ... and the stories were always better than the reality.

the other reality is that kids today are WAY more pressured than they ever have been. its an amazingly competitive world, especially the college admissions process at the most competitive universities. back when my father, for example, attended an Ivy League institution, he was in a class of around 800 mostly white men. now, it's an international group of 1000 men and women. the world has opened up, and our kids are asked to do more, earlier, and better, than their parents ever did. i have never, ever bought into the whole "kids today have it so easy" garbage. there's a whole different set of pressures, some things have gotten better, and some things have gotten worse, but in the end it's pretty much a wash, save for the increased pressure.

don't buy into the myth that kids were "better" in the 1950s. the comparison is impossible, and NEVER trust an adult's memories of their childhood. nostalgia is one big, fat lie.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Hrm. I don't know, they're all still little shits to me.

Ant.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:10 AM
"i have never, ever bought into the whole "kids today have it so easy" garbage. there's a whole different set of pressures, some things have gotten better, and some things have gotten worse, but in the end it's pretty much a wash, save for the increased pressure.

don't buy into the myth that kids were "better" in the 1950s. the comparison is impossible, and NEVER trust an adult's memories of their childhood. nostalgia is one big, fat lie." ~ Irvine511

I agree Irvine - I remember that same crap going on when I was a kid. I think once people reach a certain period in their lives, they tend to fantasize that their generation is the way it should be. I can't say that it should be said about ANY generation. Reminds me of "Wear Sunscreen" for those of you who remember it.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
i want to ask some people not to make sweeping generalizations about "kids today" since i am in fact on of those "kids".
. Thank you. That's pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier wrapped up in a nutshell .

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #24
Refugee
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,538
Local Time: 07:10 AM
Yes alright, I'm willing to accept that they're not as bad as all that. But honestly, you guys should really conduct more surveys in the UK, where young people are referred to as 'youths' with raised eyebrows and dried pursed lips by anyone older than 18... and I can't blame them. The Youth culture in the United Kingdom is absolutely apalling, but thats for another thread.

Ant.
__________________
Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Anthony is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Yes alright, I'm willing to accept that they're not as bad as all that. But honestly, you guys should really conduct more surveys in the UK, where young people are referred to as 'youths' with raised eyebrows and dried pursed lips by anyone older than 18... and I can't blame them. The Youth culture in the United Kingdom is absolutely apalling, but thats for another thread.

Ant.

but that won't sell newspapers and win TV ratings in the US. what the mothers of America want to hear is that their children are in constant peril, whether it be a sex offender in Florida, oral sex parties in junior high school, or that the lyrics to a 50 Cent song is going to turn their daughters into gyrating whores. god forbid our children be anything less than in constant peril and with Katie Couric donning her "serious" face to deliver "crucial information that every parent *must* know" -- and a direct comparison with other countries that might have similar, if not worse problems, isn't nearly myopic or sensationalist enough to lead a newscast.

that said, i'm very curious as to what is so appaling about UK youth culture. i haven't met anyone under the age of 18 from the UK -- most of those i met were students at either Cambridge or the U of Edinburgh, so that's hardly a representative sample. things, to me, seemed to be about the same as in the US, with a bit less religion, better music, and a bit more skin in advertising. i did have some students and coached some swimmers from the UK whilst teaching in Belgium for a year, and they were all perfectly lovely people, parents and children.

and such is the trap of anecdotal evidence.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:10 AM
wait, i did share a flight from Boston to Reykjavik with a group of kids from the UK about 13-14 who had been in the States on a school trip. they seemed perfectly fine to me -- obsessed with The Strokes and whatnot.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but that won't sell newspapers and win TV ratings in the US. what the mothers of America want to hear is that their children are in constant peril, whether it be a sex offender in Florida, oral sex parties in junior high school, or that the lyrics to a 50 Cent song is going to turn their daughters into gyrating whores. god forbid our children be anything less than in constant peril and with Katie Couric donning her "serious" face to deliver "crucial information that every parent *must* know" -- and a direct comparison with other countries that might have similar, if not worse problems, isn't nearly myopic or sensationalist enough to lead a newscast.
And that's really sad.

The other thing that really gets me when I hear adults complaining about today's youth-uh, do any of those same adults recall how much they hated it when the generation before them stereotyped them like that? So why are they turning around and doing it to us?

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


And that's really sad.

The other thing that really gets me when I hear adults complaining about today's youth-uh, do any of those same adults recall how much they hated it when the generation before them stereotyped them like that? So why are they turning around and doing it to us?

Angela

because back in their day, kids had respect for their elders.

and they had to walk 2 miles, uphill (both ways), in the snow just to go to school.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Sounds like the Lincoln days to me.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
because back in their day, kids had respect for their elders.

and they had to walk 2 miles, uphill (both ways), in the snow just to go to school.
Barefoot. Plus they got by on two potatoes a day, they had no tv, no hot water, no electricity, etc/ But they were HAPPY, damnit!
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com