kids today: just keep getting better. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:10 PM
Good point from above.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Yeah, from what I can tell, we're having a lot less sex than my parents were havin back in the day

Old 04-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 AM

especially those of us whose parents came of age in the 60s!

Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that's what I'm sayin
Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
finally something positive about my generation! thanks irvine

i want to ask some people not to make sweeping generalizations about "kids today" since i am in fact on of those "kids".

i've only got 10 years on you, but that stuff drove me CRAZY when i was in high school. i've worked with kids on and off for years, and, for the most part, things haven't changed all that much. we had horrible rumors about promiscuous kids back then, we had drugs, we had lots of drinking ... and the stories were always better than the reality.

the other reality is that kids today are WAY more pressured than they ever have been. its an amazingly competitive world, especially the college admissions process at the most competitive universities. back when my father, for example, attended an Ivy League institution, he was in a class of around 800 mostly white men. now, it's an international group of 1000 men and women. the world has opened up, and our kids are asked to do more, earlier, and better, than their parents ever did. i have never, ever bought into the whole "kids today have it so easy" garbage. there's a whole different set of pressures, some things have gotten better, and some things have gotten worse, but in the end it's pretty much a wash, save for the increased pressure.

don't buy into the myth that kids were "better" in the 1950s. the comparison is impossible, and NEVER trust an adult's memories of their childhood. nostalgia is one big, fat lie.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Hrm. I don't know, they're all still little shits to me.

Ant.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

"i have never, ever bought into the whole "kids today have it so easy" garbage. there's a whole different set of pressures, some things have gotten better, and some things have gotten worse, but in the end it's pretty much a wash, save for the increased pressure.

don't buy into the myth that kids were "better" in the 1950s. the comparison is impossible, and NEVER trust an adult's memories of their childhood. nostalgia is one big, fat lie." ~ Irvine511

I agree Irvine - I remember that same crap going on when I was a kid. I think once people reach a certain period in their lives, they tend to fantasize that their generation is the way it should be. I can't say that it should be said about ANY generation. Reminds me of "Wear Sunscreen" for those of you who remember it.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
i want to ask some people not to make sweeping generalizations about "kids today" since i am in fact on of those "kids".
. Thank you. That's pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier wrapped up in a nutshell .

Angela
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Yes alright, I'm willing to accept that they're not as bad as all that. But honestly, you guys should really conduct more surveys in the UK, where young people are referred to as 'youths' with raised eyebrows and dried pursed lips by anyone older than 18... and I can't blame them. The Youth culture in the United Kingdom is absolutely apalling, but thats for another thread.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Yes alright, I'm willing to accept that they're not as bad as all that. But honestly, you guys should really conduct more surveys in the UK, where young people are referred to as 'youths' with raised eyebrows and dried pursed lips by anyone older than 18... and I can't blame them. The Youth culture in the United Kingdom is absolutely apalling, but thats for another thread.

Ant.

but that won't sell newspapers and win TV ratings in the US. what the mothers of America want to hear is that their children are in constant peril, whether it be a sex offender in Florida, oral sex parties in junior high school, or that the lyrics to a 50 Cent song is going to turn their daughters into gyrating whores. god forbid our children be anything less than in constant peril and with Katie Couric donning her "serious" face to deliver "crucial information that every parent *must* know" -- and a direct comparison with other countries that might have similar, if not worse problems, isn't nearly myopic or sensationalist enough to lead a newscast.

that said, i'm very curious as to what is so appaling about UK youth culture. i haven't met anyone under the age of 18 from the UK -- most of those i met were students at either Cambridge or the U of Edinburgh, so that's hardly a representative sample. things, to me, seemed to be about the same as in the US, with a bit less religion, better music, and a bit more skin in advertising. i did have some students and coached some swimmers from the UK whilst teaching in Belgium for a year, and they were all perfectly lovely people, parents and children.

and such is the trap of anecdotal evidence.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

wait, i did share a flight from Boston to Reykjavik with a group of kids from the UK about 13-14 who had been in the States on a school trip. they seemed perfectly fine to me -- obsessed with The Strokes and whatnot.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but that won't sell newspapers and win TV ratings in the US. what the mothers of America want to hear is that their children are in constant peril, whether it be a sex offender in Florida, oral sex parties in junior high school, or that the lyrics to a 50 Cent song is going to turn their daughters into gyrating whores. god forbid our children be anything less than in constant peril and with Katie Couric donning her "serious" face to deliver "crucial information that every parent *must* know" -- and a direct comparison with other countries that might have similar, if not worse problems, isn't nearly myopic or sensationalist enough to lead a newscast.
And that's really sad.

The other thing that really gets me when I hear adults complaining about today's youth-uh, do any of those same adults recall how much they hated it when the generation before them stereotyped them like that? So why are they turning around and doing it to us?

Angela
Old 04-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

And that's really sad.

The other thing that really gets me when I hear adults complaining about today's youth-uh, do any of those same adults recall how much they hated it when the generation before them stereotyped them like that? So why are they turning around and doing it to us?

Angela

because back in their day, kids had respect for their elders.

and they had to walk 2 miles, uphill (both ways), in the snow just to go to school.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Sounds like the Lincoln days to me.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
because back in their day, kids had respect for their elders.

and they had to walk 2 miles, uphill (both ways), in the snow just to go to school.
Barefoot. Plus they got by on two potatoes a day, they had no tv, no hot water, no electricity, etc/ But they were HAPPY, damnit!