Kerry's fellow ex vets have their own stories to tell - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Given Bush's AWOL record, I'd be willing to bet that many of his former superiors and colleagues probably see him as unfit for command, too.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #17
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:37 PM
This is laughable. Those fellow crew members against Kerry have a gigantic chip on their shoulder and score to settle, plain and simple. Kerry spoke out against the war, and they feel guilty by association.

But here's what I find laughable, if we were to judge fitness for command on past records, who would you rather go for:

Candidate A: Served in Vietnam War. Highly decorated, Extremely well-reviewed and regarded by his commanding officers. Spoke out against a highly controversial war when he got home. Went on to serve on foreign relations committee for several years.

Candidate B: Served in Coast Guard. Failed to report for medical examinations, irregular attendance at required functions, requested transfer to what essentially was a desk job. May or may not have been AWOL. No active duty in war. Went on into oil industry.

Well there you have it. They want to make it an issue of his past record, so here are their (very condensed) past records, at least with relevancy towards being fit to command. Based on that, who seems more unfit to command?

That's what I thought.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Other bizarro world Republican attacks on Kerry/Edwards:

But, Kerry and Edwards are filthy rich!
John Edwards doesn't have enough government experience!

And so on.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart

They can rest assured, he's now a 'baby killer' too' (with his support for the a-word)

All of these abortion "jokes" are really beginning to wear thin. Wait, they were never funny in the first place.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Hey I wonder ...what did Bush's Vietnam Comrades think about him?

Oh ...my bad.... he didn't go
Old 07-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Hmmm....guess Clinton was unfit to command too since he totally dodged the draft...ahh how soon we conveniently forget
Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #22
Refugee

I didn't know Clinton was running for president.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
All of these abortion "jokes" are really beginning to wear thin. Wait, they were never funny in the first place.
I'd have to agree...I've personally gotten really sick of discussing that issue.

Angela
Old 07-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
This is laughable. Those fellow crew members against Kerry have a gigantic chip on their shoulder and score to settle, plain and simple. Kerry spoke out against the war, and they feel guilty by association.

But here's what I find laughable, if we were to judge fitness for command on past records, who would you rather go for:

Candidate A: Served in Vietnam War. Highly decorated, Extremely well-reviewed and regarded by his commanding officers. Spoke out against a highly controversial war when he got home. Went on to serve on foreign relations committee for several years.

Candidate B: Served in Coast Guard. Failed to report for medical examinations, irregular attendance at required functions, requested transfer to what essentially was a desk job. May or may not have been AWOL. No active duty in war. Went on into oil industry.

Well there you have it. They want to make it an issue of his past record, so here are their (very condensed) past records, at least with relevancy towards being fit to command. Based on that, who seems more unfit to command?

That's what I thought.

Though I don't view Bush or Clinton negatively for wanting to avoid being sent to Vietnam, the fact that Kerry went is admirable.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I'd have to agree...I've personally gotten really sick of discussing that issue.

Angela
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I didn't know Clinton was running for president.

Ah but when he was, against war hero George Bush I, and again against disabled veteran Bob Dole, nobody, especially not democrats, cared. Now all of a sudden military service in Viet Nam is an issue? What I'm trying to say is, it's hypocrisy to only make an issue of it when it benefits YOUR candidate. If draft dodging is bad, if someone is unfit to lead if they did not serve, sorry, you have to consider that no one minded when it was Clinton, so why does it matter now???
Old 07-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #27
Refugee

To paraphrase BostonAnne upthread, I honestly don't hold it against Bush or Clinton for not serving. If it were me, I probably would have done my best to avoid service, too.

However, this Republican-backed group is trying to cut down Kerry by questioning his service. Is it not resonable to point out that their own guy (as you did with Clinton) was conspicuously absent from Vietnam? Kerry didn't have to go, but he chose to. That's admirable no matter what your political beliefs are.

To answer your questions about no one caring, people did. But it wasn't an issue. No one was questioning Bush I's or Dole's service. No one was claiming that Bob Dole's war injuries were self-inflicted. This is an issue in this because Kerry is being attacked.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
To paraphrase BostonAnne upthread, I honestly don't hold it against Bush or Clinton for not serving. If it were me, I probably would have done my best to avoid service, too.

However, this Republican-backed group is trying to cut down Kerry by questioning his service. Is it not resonable to point out that their own guy (as you did with Clinton) was conspicuously absent from Vietnam? Kerry didn't have to go, but he chose to. That's admirable no matter what your political beliefs are.

To answer your questions about no one caring, people did. But it wasn't an issue. No one was questioning Bush I's or Dole's service. No one was claiming that Bob Dole's war injuries were self-inflicted. This is an issue in this because Kerry is being attacked.

Angela
Old 07-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #29
Acrobat

I don't hold it against anyone for not serving either. If I were a guy in those days, I'd have dodged too. But that's not the point.

The point is, Bush's non service compared to Kerry's service is being made an issue, and I don't think that's fair since when it was Clinton vs. war veterans, it didn't matter, and it shouldn't be used now when it's convenient to the democrat. It's hypocritical.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #30
Refugee

You know how it wouldn't be an issue? Two ways:

1.) Partisan groups stopped attacking Kerry's service
2.) Bush wasn't so secretive about his service records. He could release all of them and say, "While I did not serve in Vietnam, I did serve my country honorably in a time of crisis." The fact that he hasn't released his guard records, unlike Kerry who has his Navy records posted on his website, shows that he may have something to hide.

How is this hypocritical?