Kerry won't cross a picket line; Romney will. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 03:54 PM
Normal Kerry won't cross a picket line; Romney will.

..and did, here in Boston at the Mayor's Conference.

I've been both a unionized and non-union worker before. Some union stuff pisses me off but overall -- in my experience -- the proletarians amongst us are a lot better off with the protections of an organized labor force. From public service (EMS) to food service (supermarket clerk) I've learned to respect the power of the union. From working outside those unions in hellish retail and veterinary jobs I learned to appreciate them even more.

Romney crossed the police picket line.
Kerry did not.

Draw your own conclusions.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
If you support unions, you will applaud Kerry. If you don't, you will applaud Romney.

If you criticize a politician for being "owned" by big business, is it any better when a politician is "owned" by a union?

Old 06-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
It seems to me that Politicans that are "owned" by a union are owned by the people or are more for the people, so yes - it is better.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I tend to find those "people" are union bosses and not average workers.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

So let me understand this......

If Boston Police Department sets up picket lines in front of the Democratic National Convention....Kerry will not cross them?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

For those of you outside the state...the police union has been holding up work outside the Fleet Center preventing work to prepare for the convention.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

If Boston Police Department sets up picket lines in front of the Democratic National Convention....Kerry will not cross them?
Principle only goes so far.....
Old 06-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
For those of you outside the state...the police union has been holding up work outside the Fleet Center preventing work to prepare for the convention.
That sounds like a heck of a mess.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Quote:

Given the BoPo's own long and convoluted history of corruption, who knows what exactly they're going to do at the convention itself.

Likely as not they will "demonstrate" but not picket, so as to make as much of a mess as possible without actually, you know, standing on principle and picketing.

But yes...I believe Kerry (and just about everyone else scheduled to be there) would not cross that picket line if one was present at the Fleet Center during the DNC.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I hope to God they set up a picket line. They have been without a contract for long enough.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I doubt the unions with picket the DNC. They would make the Democratic Party look bad, and they know the alternative.

Melon
Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I tend to find those "people" are union bosses and not average workers.
The purpose of the "union bosses" is to benefit the union workers. The purpose of big business is to produce a profit. While there is always a situation where people don't do their jobs properly - the unions that do are for the average workers.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #13
Refugee

Thought not. No DNC picket.
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...ket_convention

The police deserve a friggin contract already. God knows they don't have an easy job here.
What I don't know is if it's just Menino holding things up or something bigger.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
The purpose of the "union bosses" is to benefit the union workers. The purpose of big business is to produce a profit. While there is always a situation where people don't do their jobs properly - the unions that do are for the average workers.
Sounds great in theory, but doesn't work in the real world. When $200K+ a year bosses direct $50K a year workers to give up their paychecks in losing battles on principle, the benefit to the worker is not there.

Also, corporations produce profit for shareholders. Whether most workers realize it or not, they benefit as shareholders through pension funds or other investments. Healthy corporations benefit California state workers, for example, more than they realize.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

"Give up their paychecks?" If it weren't for the unions, they'd have worked for far less in wages--and we can see the difference between the salary and benefits of union workers versus non-union workers--and, secondly, they aren't really losing their paychecks; I would think that, most likely, they are picketing when they aren't working! I don't think that the police and firefighters are allowed to stop working completely, due to their importance in society.

As for "shareholders," most of them are not employees, and the difference between union pensions and non-union pensions are equally as dramatic as the differences in their wages and benefits. In the case of Costco, which is similar to Sam's Club (for all you Wal-Mart fans out there), the shareholders are bitching, because the CEO pays its workers far better than the competition does. The shareholders' logic? "It's not your place to help workers. It's your job make us money." That's why there are unions, because, outside of Costco, most businesses couldn't give a shit about their workers; they are as disposable as the computers they purchase and discard when they get too old.

Melon