Kerry won't cross a picket line; Romney will. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 11:56 PM
wages, benefits, and a lot more.

when I worked overnights at Stop&Shop paying my way through UMass, I had a bulk bin slide off a top shelf and hit me square in the face, destroying my (expensive, complicated bifocal prescription) glasses. Union paid for the replacement pair, no problems -- and no way could I have afforded to do so on my own as there was no vision coverage provided thru the university health care and I didn't work enough hours at S&S to qualify for their health plan either.

Fast forward to working for a private ambulance service -- that did not offer a health care plan.
I hurt my back on the job -- no union, no bennies, no nothing. If I'd filed for workman's comp I'd have lost my job. Two weeks out of work, no pay, no coverage.

I'll take the union, thanks.
"Healthy corporations" don't give a rat's toenail about their workers - does Enron mean anything to ya? How healthy was THAT for California?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Unions

Old 06-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
Fast forward to working for a private ambulance service -- that did not offer a health care plan.
I hurt my back on the job -- no union, no bennies, no nothing. If I'd filed for workman's comp I'd have lost my job. Two weeks out of work, no pay, no coverage.

Isn't it illegal to lose your job if you filed for worker's comp? How could that have happened?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Isn't it illegal to lose your job if you filed for worker's comp? How could that have happened?
normally yes; somehow because this ambulance service was a nonprofit agency they had it in their bylaws or something. yeah it was pretty dodgy but at the time I couldn't afford to fight it -- rookie EMT only a couple years into the profession, and here in MA (as you may know) it's almost impossible to get hired by another service if you're _fired..._..
I was so groggy and out of it from the stuff they had me pumped full of at the ER (muscle relaxers and some tach-nuke painkiller) I kinda spent the whole first week flat on my back in a blur and the second one in physical therapy.. by the time I was back on the job it wasn't worth me fighting over it..
Old 06-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #20
Refugee

wolfeden, I'm sorry you had to go through that! That stinks!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #21
Refugee

Heh, thanks... No biggie, at least it was only a couple weeks...
Goes to illustrate again though, a few sharp differences between unionized/non; my brother works for Boston EMS and thereby has union benefits and that sort of thing would not have happened to him; he also would have had the option of "light duty" until he could safely lift again.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #22
Refugee

Well, I admire you for your career choice. I couldn't handle all of that trauma.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Lots of businesses do things like this. On a different vein, I was fired from my job when they found out I was enlisting. It too is against the law to do such a thing,......but
Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 PM   #24
Refugee

damn dreadsox. that sucks.
heh. Stop&Shop union had a specific clause for enlistment and deployment stuff.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:40 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Lots of businesses do things like this. On a different vein, I was fired from my job when they found out I was enlisting. It too is against the law to do such a thing,......but
Unbelievable. How can a business get away with that?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:56 PM
If America had some kind of standard with wages and conditions, you'd not need a union.
Unions shit me.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I was a maid at the time..hehe...going house to house in Milton and in Brookline. I was disposable.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #28
Refugee

Aaargh yeah... the summer I was between junior and senior year high school I worked for a moving company ($20/hr was nothing to sneeze at back then) and they got spastic when they found out I was going up for the Marines... didn't fire me, but there was an understanding that if I had ended up going off to boot camp I'd lose the job...
Old 06-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Mayor Thomas M. Menino unloaded a searing attack on fellow Democrat John F. Kerry [related, bio] yesterday, calling his presidential campaign ``small-minded'' and ``incompetent'' - laying bare a years-old rift weeks before the city plays host to Kerry's FleetCenter coronation.

Menino, in an exclusive Herald interview, let loose on the hometown senator two days after Kerry snubbed him by siding with union picketers outside a U.S. Conference of Mayors event.

``Maybe they should use some of their energies to get their message across to the American people instead of trying to destroy the integrity of someone who is on their team, to try to discredit someone on their team,'' Menino said. ``They have better things to do.'' [/Q]

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=33881
Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Menino should know better that Democrats crossing a picket line is the equivalent of a political death sentence. He should spend less time blowing hot air at a fellow Democrat and more time trying to settle the union contract disputes.

Melon