Kerry to run again in 2008? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Kerry to run again in 2008?

"Fired up" Kerry returning to Senate

Not only is he going back to the Senate, but also he is looking to run again in 2008. I admire him not dropping off the radar like Al Gore, but I'm not sure how good of an idea it would be to run again for the presidency.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 PM
I'm glad he's not dropping off the radar a la Al Gore, but the guess here is that the Democrats will choose another candidate. People are talking up Hillary Clinton, but quite frankly that's got to be a joke. I think the Republicans might like this because it'd end up being an electoral disaster for the Democrats. Hillary is too controversial to even win the Democratic nomination. Plenty of Democrats want to go with somebody with more substance and less pizzazz like Wesley Clark or John Edwards. If either one of them runs watch out. If they don't run, hell, we'll draft them! It's really cool to know that they're out there for us now. We'll use them for sure!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Well, he's "assessing the feasibility" of running again. That doesn't mean a whole lot. I think it's safe to say that Gore "assessed the feasibility" of running again, too, but he didn't.

If he wants to run, let him. I think he'll find out pretty quickly in that case that he should have "assessed the feasibility" for a bit longer.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Barack Obama
Old 11-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Barack Obama
I am very impressed by this man.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
Acrobat

2008 and 2012 - Blagojevich (governor of Illinois)
2016 and 2020 - Obama

16 years of Illinois rule should fix this country right up!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Kerry can call on me at any time to help him fight in the senate.

I doubt seriously he'll run again though.

But I'll do whatever he asks of me!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

edwards would be a horrific candidate for president... he looked like dan quayle durring the democratic events... a dreamy dan quayle but dan quayle none the less.

if wesley clark is gonna run for president again, i sure hope he runs for some smaller office in the meantime in order to gain some political experience, which was his major problem this time around.

obama is exciting but he hasn't done shit yet... give him a year in the senate to actually prove he can get the job done before we start crowning him the next king.

the dems need somebody who comes out of no where, the way clinton did in '92. they can't go with the same old faces again.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:10 PM

Could anyone please explain to me (with a bit of class please not just dumb oneliners) what's wrong with Hillary Clinton?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #10
New Yorker

Clinton didn't exactly come out of nowhere.... he was know to have given the longest and most boring keynote speech ever at a democratic convention. Clinton was also governor of the great state of Arkansas.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

No, Clinton did not come out of nowhere. He first attracted national attention in 1978 when he was elected Governor of Arkansas at the age of 32. As we all know, he screwed up and got thrown out of office, but came back to get back in in 1982. That attracted more attention, and he became prominent as a governor. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Edwards' candidacy, headache. The guy came out of complete obscurity to place second in the Iowa caucuses, ahead of favorite Howard Dean. It's true he only won one primary, but he probably learned a hell of alot during 2004 and will use it as a stepping stone. James Carville, no less, said he has the best stump speech he's ever heard, and this bloke was Bill Clinton's campaign manager. If it hadn't been for the "front-end loaded" primary schedule he might have won the nomination. This strategy was drafted by Terry McAuliffe, and his term as National Chairman of the DNC is about to end. It's rumored that Howard Dean may make a run at the position. Good point about Wesley Clark and lesser political office. Maybe he should run for Congress from Arkansas.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Could anyone please explain to me (with a bit of class please not just dumb oneliners) what's wrong with Hillary Clinton?
Perception...

IMO she has been demonized and caricatured enough that the mere mention of her name brings revulsion in the right wing of the Repub party and may encourage a sort of "Anyone but Hillary" type of thing. People may find it hard to believe but I don't. Hell, I think the Clintons by in large may have contributed to Gore's downfall in 2000, b/c of the controversies surrounding them.

Bill Clinton, may have had the most scandalous controversy with Monica-gate but Hillary tended to be associated with the most of the "other" controversies of that administration. Filegate, Travelgate, Whitewater, Foster's suicide, etc... The fact that she is just a first lady but became associated with "policy" in that adminstration rubbed people the wrong way (healthcare?!?), moreso than the rumors of Nancy Regan and her influence of Reagan (conjecture). First Lady is not a cabinet position.

Also there is a perception of Hillary as overly ambitious and a super-political animal. Rumors of Hillary orchestrating a run in 2008 have been around forever and rumors of her influencing Wesley Clark and the Kerry Campaign in order to make a run in 2008 are always floating around. True or not, they contribute to that "politically ambitious" perception. Hell the media generally supports this idea with a wink. That perception does not sit well with people as well. Just ask John Kerry.

Now that is perception. From what I understand, Hillary has been doing fine as a NY senator and even though it was lame that she pulled Alan Keyes, people have been very positive about her work. She served on the Armed Services Committee and has gotten pretty positive reviews. By 2008, (unless she loses her seat cuz I think she has to run for re-election by 2006), she may be qualified enough to run for President or have the "capital" too.

However, there never has been a woman president since forever. IMO part of its cultural and the lack of strong candidates. Hillary can be a strong candidate but IMO the polarizing aspect of who she is and her past just makes her an ineffective candidate and is too much of an obstacle to overcome. Those two things just make it unlikely that she has a chance IMO.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #13
New Yorker

Kerry running again, sure he can... However, I don't think he will make headway to be honest... interesting observation/ opinion from that article...

Quote:
Several Democrats expressed skepticism about Kerry's plans, saying they believe the party needs a fresh face and must turn a corner. One well-known Democratic operative who worked with the Kerry campaign said opposition to Bush, not excitement about Kerry, was behind the senator's fundraising success. "If he thinks he's going to capitalize on that going forward, he's in for a surprise," said the operative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
I, for one, don't think there's anything "wrong" with her. She seems intelligent and I agree with her politically for the most part. I'm not familiar enough with her Senate record to know if she's been effective in that role or not, but I assume she's been OK because the GOP would sure let us know it if he hadn't.

But I think she'd make a lousy Presidential candidate. She's well known enough that people wouldn't be likely to change their opinions of her, and too many people just don't like her. It's hard to build a majority when you start the race with 35-40% (maybe more) of the country just not liking you.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #15
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

I, for one, don't think there's anything "wrong" with her. She seems intelligent and I agree with her politically for the most part. I'm not familiar enough with her Senate record to know if she's been effective in that role or not, but I assume she's been OK because the GOP would sure let us know it if he hadn't.

But I think she'd make a lousy Presidential candidate. She's well known enough that people wouldn't be likely to change their opinions of her, and too many people just don't like her. It's hard to build a majority when you start the race with 35-40% (maybe more) of the country just not liking you.
That is good point...