Kerry to run again in 2008? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
No, Clinton did not come out of nowhere. He first attracted national attention in 1978 when he was elected Governor of Arkansas at the age of 32. As we all know, he screwed up and got thrown out of office, but came back to get back in in 1982. That attracted more attention, and he became prominent as a governor. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Edwards' candidacy, headache. The guy came out of complete obscurity to place second in the Iowa caucuses, ahead of favorite Howard Dean. It's true he only won one primary, but he probably learned a hell of alot during 2004 and will use it as a stepping stone. James Carville, no less, said he has the best stump speech he's ever heard, and this bloke was Bill Clinton's campaign manager. If it hadn't been for the "front-end loaded" primary schedule he might have won the nomination. This strategy was drafted by Terry McAuliffe, and his term as National Chairman of the DNC is about to end. It's rumored that Howard Dean may make a run at the position. Good point about Wesley Clark and lesser political office. Maybe he should run for Congress from Arkansas.
my out of no where comment on clinton was based on the fact that he was by no means the favorite to win the democratic nomination in 92, let alone the white house. he captivated the american audience with his charisma and just exploded. that's what i meant.

i think edwards also needs more polishing before running for the white house, and it's not gonna help that he's completely out of washington now. is north carolina's governor's job up soon? perhaps he should consider a run there first.

clark deffinetly needs some sort of political office just so he can get used to the ins and outs of it before he runs for president... he was probably the best candidate of all the guys who ran for the democratic nomination, but he was so over-matched due to his lack of experience that he never even made a serious dent.

and on to hill hill...

why do people dislike her so? frankly, she's percieved by many to be an absolute phoney... even faker than Kerry was percieved to be. They think she's a carpetbagger who used New York State for her own personal political gain... They think she in a fake marrage that she only stays in for her own personal political gain... They think she's so power hungry that she'll do or say just about anything to get elected... that she's more of a flip flopper than kerry who makes her opinions based on where the polls are. Add in her involvement in the aformentioned scandles... whitewater, vince foster, ron brown, etc. etc. and now you have a candidate that many people despise.

A lot of what I mentioned is simply perception... but the problem is there's enough reality mixed in there to make the perception all the more believable, be it true or not. frankly, as a resident of new york state, i think she's been a horrific senator. i think she IS using us for her own political gain. she cares more about national issues than she does about issues here at "home." and you could say "oh you're just saying that because you're a republican" all you want... and I'm sure some people will say that. but before you say that, let me add that I voted for democrat chuck schumer for senator, and voted for democrat tim bishop for the house.

and in 2006 her re-election is by no means a lock... she may be facing off against either governor george pataki or rudy giuliani... both of whom are very popular throughout the state.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:33 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

Hell, I think the Clintons by in large may have contributed to Gore's downfall in 2000, b/c of the controversies surrounding them.

A very thoughtful post, FFM, but I have to quibble with this one little bit, because I think almost the opposite happened. For most of the campaign, Gore chose not to emphasize the Clinton/Gore record for the very reason you put here. I think it was a very costly mistake, because it took away his single most important qualification for the office. I think it left the question of why people should vote for the guy, which he never really provided an answer for.

Just an opinion, and it's worth noting you may be right. But remember that Clinton had very high approval ratings when he left office. I think it's unlikely that people would have supported Clinton despite the scandals yet turned against Gore because of them.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
I agree. You can't make a viable run for President when you already have a high negativity rating that's not going anywhere. If Hillary does run in 2008, and I actually have my doubts about this, she won't win the nomination. There's too much of a psychological barrier against a female candidate, any female candidate on either side of the aisle. It's been suggested that an African American male will win first. People are looking at Barack Obama. He's great, but he's just started his Senatorial career and he'll need experience before he can run for anything higher. I'm sure he won't do anything as a first term Senator aside from campaigning for the nominee.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
is north carolina's governor's job up soon? perhaps he should consider a run there first
No. Governor Easley (also a Democrat) was just reelected last week.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

No. Governor Easley (also a Democrat) was just reelected last week.
well there goes that then
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #21
New Yorker

I'm just guessing on the thing with Gore losing b/c of the Clintons. At the most, IMO it contributed to his loss. IF you believe the whole moral values theory on this election, then its not much of stretch to say/ think the Clinton scandals (alah Monica-gate) contributed to the image of the Democratic party being "against" family values (guilt by association), thus mobilzing people to support Bush in 2000. I know it mobilized votes against Gore (it didn't help that Gore was pretty wishy washy about his connection with Clinton) where I was. Pollsters and campaign managers for the Gore campaign must have thought it very important considering the choice of Leiberman.

Gore, who was technically an incumbent with the good economic years during his VP-ship should have won pretty handily (in spite of the crappy image) b/c Bush to be honest wasn't that strong of candidate to me. But the repubs were able to mobilize and something had to mobilize them that was near and dear to them outside of their pocketbook and against relatively good times.

This election showed that its about mobilization and getting people out to vote, in spite of the environment, in order to win elections. Same case could be made of 2000 since Rove was the campaign strategist of that time.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

if wesley clark is gonna run for president again, i sure hope he runs for some smaller office in the meantime in order to gain some political experience, which was his major problem this time around.
I agree...Clark was actually who I would have voted for in the primary if he hadn't dropped out a few weeks before. I thought his ideas were good, but the experience part was the problem.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker

I agree...Clark was actually who I would have voted for in the primary if he hadn't dropped out a few weeks before. I thought his ideas were good, but the experience part was the problem.
Yeah.....I think he should run for Congress.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:19 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

There's nothing wrong with Hillary except she's a woman. I have no problem with that, but guess what? A country that re-elects Bush, is NOT going to elect a woman. It's just not going to happen.

And Clark is the worst democrat ever. Or at least one of the most conservative democrats I've ever been familiar with. Anyway, I REALLY don't want a military lover in the white house again after Bush. I want a diplomat, NO MORE MILITARY LOVERS.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
There's nothing wrong with Hillary except she's a woman. I have no problem with that, but guess what? A country that re-elects Bush, is NOT going to elect a woman. It's just not going to happen.
You can't simply play the gender card with Hillary. There are plenty of thinking men and women who disagree with her politics.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You can't simply play the gender card with Hillary. There are plenty of thinking men and women who disagree with her politics.
And that's exactly why i think she can't win. She might win the northeast and the west coast, but absolutely nothing else.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I realize that, but I can't fathom that a man with the EXACT same politics as Hillary wouldn't get more electoral votes. Like I said, I myself have no problem with gender. But all the red states from Tuesday, these are the people who probably think gay people have cooties. My guess is they wouldn't take kindly to a female presidential candidate either.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #28
New Yorker

Uhhhmmmmm did I not mention the other things in her past as First Lady and before. Its not JUST b/c she is a woman... it may contribute to the total package, but her being a female isn't the only reason. Hell, Elizabeth Dole was elected Senator of North Carolina= home state of Helms and a red state. A woman President is possible, even in red states.... however, Hillary just won't cut it...
Old 11-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #29
New Yorker

She is also a famous/ infamous public figure. She already has a "past" and reputation. She isn't an unknown factor like Clark, Edwards, and even Bill Clinton. That means she ain't surprising anyone. So any candidate with her "history" would get the same scrutiny.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
And Clark is the worst democrat ever. Or at least one of the most conservative democrats I've ever been familiar with. Anyway, I REALLY don't want a military lover in the white house again after Bush. I want a diplomat, NO MORE MILITARY LOVERS.
The progressive wing of the Democratic Party wants to adopt a stronger anti-war platform. The thing is, 9/11 permanently changed the attitude of Americans towards national security, and, quite frankly, I'm not sure if pre-9/11 sentiments are what's going to win elections for the Democrats in the future. It's been suggested that that's why Kerry won the nomination with his Vietnam credentials. I'm sure when I start going to Democracy for America meetings next month, we'll get a mouthful of talk for a stronger anti-war platform. If Iraq crashes and burns, as I think it will, the party may take a turn away from the present attitudes about war and peace. We'll see.