Kerry not really Kerry after all! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Kerry not really Kerry after all!

I don't have the link, but one of my friends said he saw on the CNN that Kerry's family was actually of Austrian Jewish descent and converted to being Catholic in 1901. When they moved from Vienna to the US, they changed their name. How did they come by Kerry? Threw a dart at a map and hit Kerry, Ireland! LOL! So he's not really Irish, he's not really "Kerry." If his name is fake, what else is phoney about him?

disclaimer: This is NOT meant in any way to be 'anti-sematic"- it could have been any other ethnicity and it would have been the same basic story.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I've heard this, but let me ask you this:

How many other families changed their name once they came to America? A lot of immigrants changed their last names to sound less ethnic back in the day.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Actually read this in the Enquirer at my in-laws' house a couple months ago. Since it was coming from the Enquirer of all rags, I took it with a grain of salt.

Funny how this story ended up on CNN.

I have a gut feeling why Kerry's family changed their name, if this story is really true. My great Jewish grandmother (dad's side) did when they moved to the US back in the early 1900's. They settled in Chicago where they faced a lot of discrimination - they dropped the "witz" from their family name in an attempt to escape discimination so they could, at the very least, find work. Jews in the US changing their last names to avoid discrimination was not (and still is not) a highly unlikely occurance.

It would be interesting to hear what John Kerry has to say about all this, if it's indeed true.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:26 PM
First of all this is still speculation. Second of all how does this affect anything? So they changed their name in 1901 does this mean every descendent since then has been phoney, don't forget there are family trees out there that show Kerry and Bush may be very distant cousins.

What about this? I'm adopted and don't know my bloodline. If I ran, whould people be looking into my ancestory to claim I was a fraud? I sure hope not.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Kerry not really Kerry after all!

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
If his name is fake, what else is phoney about him?

Many of us happen to arrive to the West, and then people look at our names on paper as if though we've fallen down from Mars. Therefore, people end up changing their names, or adopting an English version of the name because it's either that or people looking stumped every time they see our name on paper. Are we frauds now?

My mother has a very good friend who was a Jew growing up in Brooklyn in the 1960s. Every single one of her neighbours was Italian, and her mother, not wanting her daughter to stick out or be discriminated against, named her Paula, and her sister Luisa. Are they frauds too?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Goran Visnijc would be way more famous if anyone could pronounce his name correctly...

hi anitram

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
Refugee

I have to say that using a family name that was adopted in 1901 does not make Kerry a fraud in any way. Like many have said. lots of immigrants either changed their names or had the immigration people dub them with new names that were easier to say or sounded more American.

And, if we are talking about names....is Bono a fraud for not strictly going by Paul Hewson?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Kerry not really Kerry after all!

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
I don't have the link, but one of my friends said he saw on the CNN that Kerry's family was actually of Austrian Jewish descent and converted to being Catholic in 1901. When they moved from Vienna to the US, they changed their name. How did they come by Kerry? Threw a dart at a map and hit Kerry, Ireland! LOL! So he's not really Irish, he's not really "Kerry." If his name is fake, what else is phoney about him?

disclaimer: This is NOT meant in any way to be 'anti-sematic"- it could have been any other ethnicity and it would have been the same basic story.

what exactly is your point?

My great grandfather was told at Ellis Island when he arrived in America that his last name was too long and too hard to pronounce. They told him he could pick a "new" name instead. My great grandpa asked what the man's last name in front of him was. That became his last name which he passed on to my grandfather. I guess my family is fake too. Good thing my grandpa was the only boy in his family and only had daughters because when my 89 year old grandpa dies his "fake" name that his father gave him will die with him too. The name that he has beat himself up over the years since his last daughter was born knowing that he won't be able to pass on the last name his father gave to him.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

It's likely BP was just having a bit of fun.

BP, can you clarify what you mean?

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #10
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Yes, please clarify - and I do hope this was meant light-heartedly. Otherwise I see no point to this thread, as it insults anyone who changed their name and implies they're all phoney.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:07 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Desperate.....but not serious.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #12
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 08:26 PM
I happen to be a direct decendent of someone named Peter Pancake and I have no problem with the fact he changed the family name. He did it to blend in as a first generation American, something that was quite common 100 years ago.

This story about Kerry isn't new...but why does it matter anyway? He's not the one who changed the name 103 years ago. And yes, he is Kerry...legally and otherwise.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I happen to be a direct decendent of someone named Peter Pancake
That's a great name. Think of the fun you can have naming your kids.

BTW that wasn't meant as a jab at you or your family.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Hmm, no , , or even a . I'd like to believe this is a joke, but ...

And I was waiting to see how long it would take for Kerry's Jewish roots to come up, and in what context. It is true, I read it in Time a few weeks ago. Apparently John Kerry himself didn't know it until someone unearthed it doing research for a biography on him.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't see that it matters. It's interesting in that people felt (and in some cases still feel) the need or desire to change names when they come to this country. In some ways it would be interesting to know what prompts such a name change (not just in Kerry's ancestor's case), but I hardly think a name change makes someone a phoney -- if it did, many married women would be phoney.