Kerry not really Kerry after all! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Just did, and regretted it

FYI everyone, here's the links of the faux "Kerry" name thing:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1164529/posts

http://www4.fosters.com/July2004/07....ap_nh0718d.asp

It looks like this discovery was made accidently as a surprise by someoen researching his roots trying to prove a link to some famous Irish potato guy named Kerry so there was no ill intent or 'dirt digging' intentionally. Every time someone runs for president, they get their 'roots' dug into. They found out one of Carter's ancestors was hung for horse thievery.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #32
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But the last name Kerry and being Irish Catholic is all he's ever known. At some point a lot of our families may have changed religions or where they live. So do we all have to go back to our very origin to be real? This is how he grew up this is who he is, this wasn't something he did or his parents did to be more Kennedy like. I really think you are stretching here.
While he has claimed he has always set the record straight every time he was called Irish Catholic, there is no real evidence of this. Let's face it, being Irish Catholic is going to get you a lot further in Mass. (one of the links in my last post mentions this) I don't think it can be discounted that he has used it to his advantage.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Is pointing out that the fact that the Kerry family changed its name decades ago really a counterbalance to the "Bush bashing" you've seen in other threads? How this even has anything to do with John Kerry as a person, or his campaign for president is beyond me.

Edited because you replied while I was posting:

Kerry didn't even know about his heritage until very recently. Not being Irish does not make him any less Catholic.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 05:02 AM
why "bash" anybody? And why is this election getting so wrapped up on trivial issues? I'm not pointing fingers here because I have taken part in this myself I am sad to say. But why do we sit and argue about if Bush's kid stuck her tongue out, if Kerry's wife told somebody to shove it, if Kerry's family changed his last name or whatever. And why do people on opposing sides feel the need to ruthlessly attack each other? Can't we just debate the issues and each allow other people to have their opinions? Guess what? Nobody is going to "convert" anybody here, especially not by dragging out silly and trivial points.

And like I said BP, this isn't directed at you. I myself have commented in several threads that were about trivial type issues so we all do it and I am in no way above anybody else when it comes to this issue.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM   #35
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
How this even has anything to do with John Kerry as a person, or his campaign for president is beyond me.
Then most of my posts must have been 'beyond you' or you didnt' read them, because I stated why- I think he's using the "Irish Catholic from Mass." image to appear Kennedy-esque and influence gullible voters who'd be impressed by that connection.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #36
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
Nobody is going to "convert" anybody here, especially not by dragging out silly and trivial points.
I totally agree. NOBODY is going to convert anyone, or change their mind on any issues. So really all we're doing here is debating and fighting and making our own positions known, but it's not doing any good. IMO it's doing more bad than good!

Quote:
And like I said BP, this isn't directed at you. I myself have commented in several threads that were about trivial type issues so we all do it and I am in no way above anybody else when it comes to this issue.
Thanks. A lot of ppl have done it but you and I may be the only 2 to admit it
Old 08-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #37
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

Kerry didn't even know about his heritage until very recently.
Ah, but there are contradictions here. So some of you say this, yet that story claims he has 'always' set the record straight over the years, and while there is no evidence that he really did, the fact that he says he did would lead me to believe he had to have known it all along! So which way is it? What's the truth and what's the story? He's just another lying, faking politician, just like Bush! If he gets in there who knows what he'll lie about next!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart

Then most of my posts must have been 'beyond you' or you didnt' read them, because I stated why- I think he's using the "Irish Catholic from Mass." image to appear Kennedy-esque and influence gullible voters who'd be impressed by that connection.
So you're upset because he's "pretending" to be Irish? Until recently he thought he was Irish. And listening to him speak I've gotten no indication that he's perpetuating the idea that he's Irish. Do you think people are going to vote for him because they think he's Irish? Should he change his name to avoid the confusion?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:37 PM   #39
Refugee

I never said he "always" set the record straight. I have no idea if he does or not, but he certainly isn't perpetuating it.

Kerry's known he had Jewish roots for 15 years (thank you Google). So for three quarters of his life he had no idea.

Article here: http://www.rense.com/general56/hew.htm
Old 08-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Umm...you know, being Irish Catholic might help in Massachusetts politically, but it's not helpful in the rest of the country (small pockets notwithstanding). There are still far too many people in this nation that believe that Catholics take their orders from the Vatican. Many of these same people believe Catholics are not even true US citizens, but citizens of Vatican City (since they are supposed to swear allegiance to the church over everything -- at least that is the thought by many).

And the above qoute is very condescending towards ThatGuy, essentially implying that he is too stupid to understand what he read.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #41
War Child

15 years isn't 'only recently.'
Old 08-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #42
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:02 AM
indra brings up a good point. Playing up your Irish Catholic background isn't necessarily a good thing nation wide. And as far as playing up a sort of Kennedy-esque image as an Irish Catholic, I'm sorry but I don't see it. He's mentioned his faith numerous times, and he's mentioned life in Massachusetts, but I've never heard or seen him try and make any sort of point about his cultural heritage as an Irishman.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:02 AM
The only thing I've heard in regards to his Irish heritage are all of the "Oh, his initials are JFK... JFK, eh, EH?!" references.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:04 PM   #44
Refugee

I just thought of something. Kerry's wife spoke out against Ted Kennedy at one point. Soooooo I don't think John is trying to be just like the Kennedys hehe
Old 08-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
15 years isn't 'only recently.'
It is when you're 60.

And can you give me an example of where he's played up his Irish heritage in the last 15 years?