Kerry not really Kerry after all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did, and regretted it :tsk:

FYI everyone, here's the links of the faux "Kerry" name thing:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1164529/posts

http://www4.fosters.com/July2004/07.18.04/news/ap_nh0718d.asp

It looks like this discovery was made accidently as a surprise by someoen researching his roots trying to prove a link to some famous Irish potato guy named Kerry :ohmy: so there was no ill intent or 'dirt digging' intentionally. Every time someone runs for president, they get their 'roots' dug into. They found out one of Carter's ancestors was hung for horse thievery.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
But the last name Kerry and being Irish Catholic is all he's ever known. At some point a lot of our families may have changed religions or where they live. So do we all have to go back to our very origin to be real? This is how he grew up this is who he is, this wasn't something he did or his parents did to be more Kennedy like. I really think you are stretching here.

While he has claimed he has always set the record straight every time he was called Irish Catholic, there is no real evidence of this. Let's face it, being Irish Catholic is going to get you a lot further in Mass. (one of the links in my last post mentions this) I don't think it can be discounted that he has used it to his advantage.

Is pointing out that the fact that the Kerry family changed its name decades ago really a counterbalance to the "Bush bashing" you've seen in other threads? How this even has anything to do with John Kerry as a person, or his campaign for president is beyond me.

Edited because you replied while I was posting:

Kerry didn't even know about his heritage until very recently. Not being Irish does not make him any less Catholic.

Last edited:
why "bash" anybody? And why is this election getting so wrapped up on trivial issues? I'm not pointing fingers here because I have taken part in this myself I am sad to say. But why do we sit and argue about if Bush's kid stuck her tongue out, if Kerry's wife told somebody to shove it, if Kerry's family changed his last name or whatever. And why do people on opposing sides feel the need to ruthlessly attack each other? Can't we just debate the issues and each allow other people to have their opinions? Guess what? Nobody is going to "convert" anybody here, especially not by dragging out silly and trivial points.

And like I said BP, this isn't directed at you. I myself have commented in several threads that were about trivial type issues so we all do it and I am in no way above anybody else when it comes to this issue.

ThatGuy said:
How this even has anything to do with John Kerry as a person, or his campaign for president is beyond me.

Then most of my posts must have been 'beyond you' or you didnt' read them, because I stated why- I think he's using the "Irish Catholic from Mass." image to appear Kennedy-esque and influence gullible voters who'd be impressed by that connection.

LoveTown said:
Nobody is going to "convert" anybody here, especially not by dragging out silly and trivial points.

I totally agree. NOBODY is going to convert anyone, or change their mind on any issues. So really all we're doing here is debating and fighting and making our own positions known, but it's not doing any good. IMO it's doing more bad than good!

And like I said BP, this isn't directed at you. I myself have commented in several threads that were about trivial type issues so we all do it and I am in no way above anybody else when it comes to this issue.

Thanks. A lot of ppl have done it but you and I may be the only 2 to admit it;)

ThatGuy said:

Kerry didn't even know about his heritage until very recently.

Ah, but there are contradictions here. So some of you say this, yet that story claims he has 'always' set the record straight over the years, and while there is no evidence that he really did, the fact that he says he did would lead me to believe he had to have known it all along! So which way is it? What's the truth and what's the story? He's just another lying, faking politician, just like Bush! If he gets in there who knows what he'll lie about next!

BluberryPoptart said:

Then most of my posts must have been 'beyond you' or you didnt' read them, because I stated why- I think he's using the "Irish Catholic from Mass." image to appear Kennedy-esque and influence gullible voters who'd be impressed by that connection.

So you're upset because he's "pretending" to be Irish? Until recently he thought he was Irish. And listening to him speak I've gotten no indication that he's perpetuating the idea that he's Irish. Do you think people are going to vote for him because they think he's Irish? Should he change his name to avoid the confusion?

Last edited:
I never said he "always" set the record straight. I have no idea if he does or not, but he certainly isn't perpetuating it.

Kerry's known he had Jewish roots for 15 years (thank you Google). So for three quarters of his life he had no idea.

Article here: http://www.rense.com/general56/hew.htm

Last edited:

Umm...you know, being Irish Catholic might help in Massachusetts politically, but it's not helpful in the rest of the country (small pockets notwithstanding). There are still far too many people in this nation that believe that Catholics take their orders from the Vatican. Many of these same people believe Catholics are not even true US citizens, but citizens of Vatican City (since they are supposed to swear allegiance to the church over everything -- at least that is the thought by many).

And the above qoute is very condescending towards ThatGuy, essentially implying that he is too stupid to understand what he read.

indra brings up a good point. Playing up your Irish Catholic background isn't necessarily a good thing nation wide. And as far as playing up a sort of Kennedy-esque image as an Irish Catholic, I'm sorry but I don't see it. He's mentioned his faith numerous times, and he's mentioned life in Massachusetts, but I've never heard or seen him try and make any sort of point about his cultural heritage as an Irishman.

Last edited:
I just thought of something. Kerry's wife spoke out against Ted Kennedy at one point. Soooooo I don't think John is trying to be just like the Kennedys hehe

BluberryPoptart said:
15 years isn't 'only recently.'

It is when you're 60.

And can you give me an example of where he's played up his Irish heritage in the last 15 years?

BluberryPoptart said:

While he has claimed he has always set the record straight every time he was called Irish Catholic, there is no real evidence of this. Let's face it, being Irish Catholic is going to get you a lot further in Mass. (one of the links in my last post mentions this) I don't think it can be discounted that he has used it to his advantage.

So his family back in 1901 had a crystal ball and knew there would be a well liked president by the name of John F. Kennedy, they also knew that they would have a relative running in 2004 so they changed their name in order to help him?

Hell yeah, we should all vote for this man now! His family owns a crystal ball and it works!!! Kerry has the power to see in the future and see what is best for this country. Why would we not want to vote for a man who's family has these powers, hell bring his whole family in.

This is the name the man was born with, what should he do change it? Is the adopted canidate suppose to abandon their name and religion because they found out their birth parents were really athiests? Is the canidate running on a platform of civil rights suppose to neglect that platform because he finds out ancestors of his owned slaves at one time.

Are we saying we should punish the man for the "sins" of his ancestors?

Kerry should be ashamed indeed for misleading the country, the entire world actually, like this

SHAME on You Mr. Kerry

I amuse myself :up:

BluberryPoptart said:

What's the truth and what's the story? He's just another lying, faking politician, just like Bush! If he gets in there who knows what he'll lie about next!

this is where I have a problem with your entire argument. So John Kerry, should he be elected, should not be trusted solely on the fact that he hasn't told the truth about his heritage? Or I guess I should say that John Kerry should NOT be elected because he doesn't introduce himself as "John Kerry but my family's name is really.....we had a name change way back in 1901....."

I'm just trying to figure out why a name change in his family YEARS before he was even born has anything to do with how he'd run our country. The point behind this thread is not a good enough reason for me to want to vote against Kerry.

BluberryPoptart said:
He's just another lying, faking politician, just like Bush! If he gets in there who knows what he'll lie about next!

So you are voting for Nader? I mean, you say Bush and Kerry are "lying, faking politician" (s), and you also say you hate Kerry...so that leaves Nader (et. al.) :D

BluberryPoptart said:

BTW I know Bush is not a real Texan, the Bushes are from Connecticut high society.

Then why not a thread about how bush is a fake too? It must be somehow worse when Kerry uses his "fake heritage to appeal to voters".:ohmy:

I have also never heard Kerry talk about being Irish, Catholic yes.

That's 'cause W isn't fakin' at being a cowboy. I've seen him wear cowboy hats and boots and clear brush from his ranch. That tells me that he's a real honest to goodness cowboy, just like John Wayne.

you know what they say there's only two things that come from Texas, steers and ........uhm this joke is not politically correct. I shall refrain from completing it!!!

I know his name comes from his father's side but he also has heritage from his mother. I'm assuming that after his jewish ancestor became a catholic that the male descendants married other catholics and there's a good chance that some of those might have been Irish, especially if the first generations with the new name didn't generally broadcast the fact they'd changed it. He's probably got more Irish cathloic blood in him than any other by now.

ILuvLarryMullen said:

Then why not a thread about how bush is a fake too? It must be somehow worse when Kerry uses his "fake heritage to appeal to voters".:ohmy:

1. I've never seen him use it that way.

2. Everyone knows it anyway and always has.

3. I never said Bush WASN'T a big fake. He's a politician, of course he's a fake. I've said many times here, I don't even like Bush that much, I just get so sick of the constant Bush bashing when Kerry is even more sickening to me (not for this particular reason)

BluberryPoptart said:
3. I never said Bush WASN'T a big fake. He's a politician, of course he's a fake. I've said many times here, I don't even like Bush that much, I just get so sick of the constant Bush bashing when Kerry is even more sickening to me (not for this particular reason)

So your theory in life is "an eye for an eye"?

You feel the best way to deal with things (because you see so much "Bush Bashing" is to start silly threads like this?

Are you SURE your last name is actually your last name? I know for a fact that my last name was changed BEFORE my ancestors came to America...AND, despite being "Catholic" - neither of my grandfathers were Catholic.

Who cares?

Why don'y you learn to take the high road BPT and NOT post meaningless crap like this to stir up crap!?

I mean, it really cuts at your credibility here...I am not sure if I can ever take one of your statements/rguments serious ever again.

why "bash" anybody? And why is this election getting so wrapped up on trivial issues? I'm not pointing fingers here because I have taken part in this myself I am sad to say. But why do we sit and argue about if Bush's kid stuck her tongue out, if Kerry's wife told somebody to shove it, if Kerry's family changed his last name or whatever. And why do people on opposing sides feel the need to ruthlessly attack each other? Can't we just debate the issues and each allow other people to have their opinions? Guess what? Nobody is going to "convert" anybody here, especially not by dragging out silly and trivial points.

Thank. You. Honestly, I'm starting to forget what some of the real issues are that are being focused on in this election because both sides have been nitpicking at really irrelevant stuff.

Angela

I am Catholic and I am Jewish - interesting heritage, isn't it?:wink:

So I have an outlook on religious dogma and denominations that REFUSES to "take sides" on behalf of what dogma God prefers! (similar to Bono's outlook on his own mixed-religion background).

indra - I have NEVER considered myself to be a citizen of the Vatican and during all my years of being raised as a Catholic I don't EVER remember that being brought up in my church.:ohmy:

Sometimes I think in the passion of getting our points across, we can say things that are WAY OUT OF LINE and actually PREJUDICIAL and does nothing to increase understanding of our ideas.

Let's just make sure that if we're saying things about others - especially about other races, religions, ethnic backgrounds, etc that we can BACK UP our opinions with facts, otherwise we run the risk of appearing biased and hateful, which may not be the case.:up:

And Moonlit_Angel - thank you for your excellent posts. They are always well thought out and noninflammatory.:hug:

OK, I have to delurk and say something. My family changed the spelling of our name when they came to this country. It was a German name with very tricky pronunciation. I fail to see the significance of your family changing your name, particularly as it happens before you're born. That's a little too soon to have any choice in the matter. I couldn't care less where Kerry's ancestors were from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom