Kerry not really Kerry after all! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2004, 05:41 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:22 AM
If the fact that Kerry's family changed their surname over a hundred years ago is the worst thing you can criticise him for he's going to make a great president.

I actually find this post quite worrying, it reminds me of a press conference given in Burnley (a town in northern England) a few months ago. Michael Howard, the leader of the Tory party had given a speech there condemning racism and far-right parties. In response the BNP (an far-right, racist party) gave a speech denouncing Michael Howard. Their main criticism was that when his family moved to the UK in the twentieth century, they'd changed their name because their original named sounded distinctively Jewish. In their view the fact that his parents had changed their surname meant he was a fraud and not fit to lead one of Britain's main political parties.

I also think it reflects poorly on the mainstream media that stories originating in the trashy tabloids are now making it onto the screens of mainstream news channels. I shouldn't be suprised though, after all that's precisely how the majority of the so-called scandals about Clinton were publicised.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:53 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
If the fact that Kerry's family changed their surname over a hundred years ago is the worst thing you can criticise him for he's going to make a great president.
AMEN!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:57 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:22 PM
I think that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth make a good case against Kerry based on his actions and not his name.
http://www.swiftvets.com/
Old 08-04-2004, 08:07 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

ok..for anyone who felt that I posted or started threads for purely partisan reasons, just to stir the pot....please...

I would like an apology.

This thread makes me want to vote for Kerry!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #20
War Child

crys

So much for disclaimers

Let me try again:

First, I also know a lot of families got their names changed at Ellis Island. My great grandfather had his name changed to "Mike Thomas" when his name was considered not only unpronounceable but unspellable in English! That doesn't make anyone a fraud! No!

However, according to CNN, it didn't happen at Ellis Island, it happened while they were still living in Vienna, and they chose to do it themselves to hide from their Jewish heritage, or something like that. So they were already "Kerry" coming to America. That ALSO doesn't make anyone a fraud.

My point is, he seems to be, now don't trash me, I'm not sure but said *SEEMS* to be, kind of running as a Kennedy-eque, evoke the memory of Kennedy, Irish Catholic famliy guy from Massachusetts, and in truth, he's not. There is nothing wrong with changing your name, I just think *HE* should have been the one to be very open and up front with this if he wasn't ashamed or 'pretending' to be Irish Catholic, as I said, which kind of appeals to the Kennedy loving types. So yes, I think he's denying his true heritage and putting on a 'character' that isn't true so yes I think that makes him a fake. If tabloids and CNN had to dig this out, it only makes it look like he was hiding something. Is it that HE'S not proud of his true heritage? Or does he think he can bilk a simple minded and impressionable electorate better with the "Irish Catholic Kennedy-esque" thing?

I DON'T think there's anything wrong with being a Jew, or Austrian, but I do think there's something wrong with passing yourself off as an Irish Catholic guy for possible political appeal when it's not the truth. I hope I have explained this clearly so that everyone understands what I'm getting at instead of grabbing for the totally lame and shallow and oh so handy cries of 'racism.' Shit, I've got more mixed in me than most stray dogs. That's NOT the issue!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:22 PM
But the last name Kerry and being Irish Catholic is all he's ever known. At some point a lot of our families may have changed religions or where they live. So do we all have to go back to our very origin to be real? This is how he grew up this is who he is, this wasn't something he did or his parents did to be more Kennedy like. I really think you are stretching here.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #22
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Thank you for the explanation, BP.

It does seem, however, that even Kerry himself wasn't aware of his Jewish roots until recently, and if he himself is now Catholic (arguments about that notwithstanding), then I think one is hard-pressed to claim that he's lying or trying to hide something. There's been no cover-up attempt or anything (that we know of), so it's probably just an interesting piece of Kerry family history that happened, let's not forget, WELL before John was even born.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:22 PM
I'd be very very careful about calling the kettle black, Blueberrypoptart. I mean, pretending for even one second that the topic of this thread has any relevance, don't forget that George W. Bush's Texan heritage doesn't run so very deep either. He's about one generation removed from the same East Coast culture as John Kerry.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

This is just one of the many things I love about elections.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:22 PM
It's obvious from this and other threads that are being started by the same person that they are only interested in promoting an anti-liberal viewpoint in these forums, and not really interested in well thought out fair-minded discussions.

First it was castigating Bono in his anti-AIDS efforts, now it's promoting ill-thought out anti-Kerry bias!

I think to cast dispersions on ANYONE's ethnic background to promote your point of view is in VERY POOR TASTE.

Why don't you call John Kerry's office in DC, Blueberry. since I think that is the area you live in and ask THEM these questions?

That would get to the bottom of your inquiry, wouldn't it?

If you REALLY want to know the truth, there are ways to uncover it.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #26
Refugee

As far as hiding their Jewish background.....it likely kept their family alive. Unfortunately millions of Jewish people around the world have been persecuted and killed. So, if I had a Jewish last name at that point in history I very well may have changed it too.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #27
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

All right, there is no need to call out people individually. BP believed this was a significant issue to raise. If you have an individual problem, please discuss it off the forum. Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:07 AM   #28
Refugee

paxetaurora, I just wanted to take a second to thank you for being a great mod
Old 08-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #29
War Child

and it must not be an easy job I'd be

BTW I know Bush is not a real Texan, the Bushes are from Connecticut high society. I do not ignore that nor am I much of a fan of Bush. Just because I hate Kerry doesn't mean I think Bush is perfect. He's very, very far from it. I just get so tired of only Bush getting bashed, either no one gets bashed or give equal time to Kerry bashing
Old 08-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
I just get so tired of only Bush getting bashed, either no one gets bashed or give equal time to Kerry bashing
Um, have you checked the Kerry Lovers thread lately?