Kerry lovers! What makes him so much better than Bush anyway? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 PM
I'm not a Kerry lover I just don't support George Bush and therefore I'm going to vote for the person running against him. However, please keep in mind if the person running against him was way out of line with my moral, poltical and ethical values I would not vote for them either.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
I wouldn't vote for anyone who didn't share my political and ethical values either. Kerry is acceptable to me. Not great, mind you, but acceptable.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Being an environmentalist, I cringe and shudder in outrage at what Bush has allowed happen to our environment. Yes, I believe Kerry has many faults but I believe he will provide our country with the leadership that we desperately need.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
However, please keep in mind if the person running against him was way out of line with my moral, poltical and ethical values I would not vote for them either.
Kerry is all those things to me, so it's impossible for me to vote for him.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Let's get the thread back to Kerry. You can start a new thread about education reforms if you like.
I believe I answered the question in realtion to the candidates and their posisitions....

Could you please explain to me how we are to answer a question about Kerry without discussing the issues?

Am I allowed to say I like Kerry based on his education positions?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I also believe that Kerry has a more comprehensive plan, based on what I have read, for dealing with enriched uranium. Terrorists are NOT going to go out and make their own materials to use nukes. They are going to try and aquire these materials from the relativbely few nations that can produce them. I believe Kerry has a better plan for dealing with this problem.

I also disagree with the characterization of my post as teachers need more money. Read what I wrote, that is not what I said. I said we are offering less to our kids because the $$$ is being spent on testing.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:05 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I also believe that Kerry has a more comprehensive plan, based on what I have read, for dealing with enriched uranium. Terrorists are NOT going to go out and make their own materials to use nukes. They are going to try and aquire these materials from the relativbely few nations that can produce them. I believe Kerry has a better plan for dealing with this problem.

I also disagree with the characterization of my post as teachers need more money. Read what I wrote, that is not what I said. I said we are offering less to our kids because the $$$ is being spent on testing. Anyone who has been following ed reform and NCLB is aware that the funding did not come through the way it was promised to the democrats when NCLB passed. It was funded enough to test. This is another issue in which I believe Kerry as president would run differently. I think he would fund it, so that we do not just test kids, but fund it so that there can be improvements as well. Kerry, has a plus in his column from me on this issue.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

No, of course you can respond to questions about Kerry. I just didn't want the thread to go too far afield.

I also remind the un-Kerry-fans in this thread that we have a lovely anti-Kerry thread just down the forum a bit.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i would like a president who can string a sentence together without me cringing.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not American, but if I were, I would likely vote for him over a Green candidate on account of the fact that Bush has got to go. That is priority #1.

As for why I think he is the better candidate?

He sounds clearly intellectually superior to Bush, he is eloquent and well spoken. He is not surrounded by ideologues and dinosaurs with agendas, and is capable of thinking for himself. He does not come across as a moron. With him, IMO, Americans would be better off on the world stage, because nobody on the planet should be excited by 6 billion people hating 300 million on account of a ridiculous administration and their horrid policies. I believe his stance on environmental protection is weak compared to the leftists like the Greens, but at the very least it is not as destructive as that of Bush. I believe he will not pursue religious right wing legislation, nor pander to the religious right. I believe he is better for racial equality and for the poor. I don't think he will create appalling tax cuts for his rich fat cats at the expense of the middle and lower classes.

Just a few reasons.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I also disagree with the characterization of my post as teachers need more money. Read what I wrote, that is not what I said. I said we are offering less to our kids because the $$$ is being spent on testing.
I didn't say YOU did, I meant that seems to be the government's idea of how it works, but it doesn't.

Quote:

I also remind the un-Kerry-fans in this thread that we have a lovely anti-Kerry thread just down the forum a bit.
Where?!

No I'm serious, what's the name of it? I didn't know about it. Kerry was in town today, but I wouldn't drive 2 inches, much less 20 miles, to see him. The heat, the crowd, the kids, I wouldn't do that for anybody (except Bono )
Old 07-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #27
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:25 AM
I don't love Kerry either, but I do tend to agree with him on a lot of issues.

Gay marriage: He may not agree with it personally, he may think it's wrong, but he recognizes that it's not his place (or the government's) to tell anyone they can't do something simply because he doesn't agree with it. Bush and clan are still in complete denial about homosexuality. They were trying to constitutionally ban something by forcing an amendment through that had absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution and everything to do with bigotry, prejudice and irrational fear, and a clear violation of the separation of church and state.

Conservatives have long blamed homosexuality and the supposed promiscuity rampant in them as a major cause of the rise of AIDS. If this is what they believe, then wouldn't it be in their best interest to promote gay marriage so we are supporting the idea of monogamous, committed relationships? No, that would be showing too much....what's the word, oh yes, compassion, for their fellow human beings and countrymen.

And that's one of the main reasons I will be voting for Kerry - because Bush has not followed through AT ALL on the platform he was elected under - which was the platform of "compassionate conservatism." Oh, I've seen the conservatism, but what I've noticed a very pronounced LACK of is compassion. He has shown absolutely NO compassion for homosexuals whatsoever. Zero, none. In fact, what I have seen is quite the opposite of compassion - contempt and cruelty. Any president who tries to flat out deny equal rights to a portion of the populace should not be allowed to continue to serve his country, in my eyes.

And then there's the war in Iraq. I won't get into too much detail, but I have yet to hear Bush apologize for any mistakes. Oh sure, Colin Powell has apologized and some of his other underlings have, but I think when mistakes are made on the magnitude they were made leading up to and during the war in Iraq, the man in charge should be able to face his people and take some of the blame himself. Instead he remains curiously silent.

Kerry went to war in Vietnam, fought bravely and was highly decorated, but also had the courage to stand up to what he believed were big mistakes. I admire the fact that he wasn't so wrapped up in this fake "patriotism" that silences any criticsm against a country or it's government. We need more healthy debate and criticism, and if anything what I have seen from the Bush administration is a tendency to ignore and resist criticism and attempts to gain the whole truth (the administration was originally against an independent commission to investigate 9/11, and up until recently still distanced itself from the commission's findings and recommendations). I believe Kerry will lead a more open and honest administration, that is more receptive to the people.

Bottom line, I don't feel Bush is being as honest as a president should be. I do feel that he is probably trying to do what's best for the country, but in my eyes he has not succeeded. It's time for someone new.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:03 AM   #28
War Child

I wasn't a Kerry fan to begin with (I caucused for Kucinich), and I have been considering going green. However, I can safely say that Kerry has won my vote.

I like his plan for full funding of NCLB. I feel that the education system has to be held accountable to something and now that most people and politicians agree that the initial plan was flawed and underfunded, I have confidence that they can develop a plan that will work better. Not perfectly, but better.

I admire Kerry's stance on abortion, as I have the same sentiment.

I love that John Edwards is a sexy bitch. *swoon*

I believe that John Kerry is much more qualified in matters of national defense than Bush and will surround himself people who care about living in not only a secure United States of America, but a secure world.

The US healthcare system is an absolute mess. While I would love to see a candidate with a single-payer system on his/her platform, I know that there's no way we could make the transition in the span of one presidential term. Thus, I think Kerry's plan for covering all children is a step in the right direction.

I also like that Kerry would keep the 9/11 pannel for another 18 months to evaluate progress on recommendations to reform and improve intelligence.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I... really....really... dont like Kerry... sorry guys. But I love Bush and if I could vote I would vote for him. But I don't know much about this, I was just sharing my thoughts.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:28 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:25 AM
to what anitram and Diemen said. .

Angela