Kerry guaranteed to win! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Kerry guaranteed to win!

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5986623

*waits for inevitable Kerry=French aristocrat jokes*

Old 09-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I wonder how many of us are descended from royalty? I'm just a schmuck of mainly Scotch-Irish descent, but there could be a blue blood in there somewhere.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I know i have royalty in my family....somewhere back in the scottish line. I'm related to 2 presidents also, william h. and benjamin harrison.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Oh, Verte...

I am 18 generations removed from Norwegian Royalty!

all of you should to me!

or so my dad believes we are royalty
Old 09-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm surprised that researchers would come out with such claims when most ancestry for even the Presidents start to have dead ends once one gets back 5 or 6 generations. For example, all of Ronald Reagan's ancestors on his father's side came from southern Ireland where record keeping with relevent genealogical information was not common until after 1800. Reagan's ancestry on his father's side can only be searched back to that point. Whether he is related to royalty further back through his father is simply unknown.

It is there for impossible for one to declare that one actually has more royal blood than another. Certainly some have made some lucky finds that are interesting, but it does not prove that one has more royal blood than another.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Sting, there are ways you can trace your ancestry back for a long time. I have a record of an ancestor who was born in Scotland in the late 17th century, around 1680. Subsequent births took place in both Scotland and Ireland, and my folks came to this country, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina, in the late eighteenth century. It's a ton of research and work, but it's doable.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

My dad has done lots of research on our family, even on my mom's side. My relative was the first to be beheaded by the guillotine (however you spell that) in France because he was a protestant. I tease my Catholic friends about that.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Well I have one half bog Irish going back to 1860 when one Daniel was deported to Australia for firearms offenses and stealing pigs. And then another side of the family goes back to wealthy Scots.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Sting, there are ways you can trace your ancestry back for a long time. I have a record of an ancestor who was born in Scotland in the late 17th century, around 1680. Subsequent births took place in both Scotland and Ireland, and my folks came to this country, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina, in the late eighteenth century. It's a ton of research and work, but it's doable.
There certainly are ways and I have searched "parts" of my ancestry back prior to 1500. But looking at any ancestor chart, even for the presidents, and you will discover dead ends in many area's around the 5th and 6th generation going back. Going 5 generations back(parent, grandparent, G Grandparent, GG Grandparent GGG Grandparent), every person has 32 Great, Great, Great, Grandparents. Some may have them complete, but most Presidents who have had their ancestry's researched by thousands of people will still not know all 32 of their Great, Great, Great, Grandparents. No doubt, several of those lines that are known will be traced hundreds of years back, but the further you go back after that, the more deadends will appear.

The fact is, the further in time you go back, the smaller the number of records there are that one can find their ancestors on.

Irish Catholics usually are not able to trace their roots in Ireland any farther back than 1800, which is the case with Reagan's father.

There a several things which make Genealogy in Ireland difficult. Census's and many other Genealogically important records were burned during the Irish Civil War in Dublin. The earliest surviving Census in Ireland is the 1901 Census. Civil registration of births, deaths and marriages did not begin until 1864. Prior to that, Church Records are very important. But Catholic record keeping did not begin in Ireland until the early 1800s, and some places not until the late 1800s. Protestant record keeping in Ireland started in the early 1700s, but many of those records were brought to Dublin prior to the Civil War to keep them in a central location and were burned in the fire.

Griffiths Land Valuation of Ireland from 1848-1864 is often used as a census substitute as it list the head of every household in Ireland during that time. The interesting thing is that if one can find their ancestor on this land valuation, they can go to the exact place where the house or dwelling place is or once stood during that time, for their ancestor. Most census's will only list a street or town where their person resided, but this land valuation allows one to find the exact piece of land that the ancestor lived on, regardless of what is there now.

Irish genealogy is exciting and there are many things that one can find, its just that research prior to 1800 for most will not be possible because there are simply no records available prior to that time in most area's of Ireland.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

The link now says "Sorry, story not available"

which even more telling.....
Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #11
Refugee

Indeed. Yahoo News and the Reuters site both pulled the story. You can still read it here:
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...l_researchers/

Why was the story pulled? Could be because it was bs, but I blame Karl Rove.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Don't forget about those vast right-wing conspiracies that can appear at any moment.....
Old 09-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, Sting, you are so right about the difficulty of Irish ancestor tracing. The Carmichaels, my paternal grandmother's family, have kept their records since coming to South Carolina from County Antrim in 1774. They did a whole slew of cousin marriage and stuff. We have records of a birth on my mother's side of the family in Antrim in 1709. This guy, David MacCurdy, is said to have lived to be 124 years old, dying in Georgia in 1833. But we've run into a whole slew of dead ends trying to find information in Ireland. I also have German ancestry. Forget about finding birthplaces on the Continent, particularly if you don't read German.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:07 PM
I am English and English. And I think I have some English in there somewhere

It's boring genealogy-wise coming from England cos most people are just English. We have no massive history of immigration/emigration in the past....apart from invasions that happened like in medieval times (eg normans) or roman / viking times.... unlike exciting countries genealogy wise eg US/Australia

My surname is Bampton. From that I can deduce that my family comes from the town of Bampton in either Cumbria or Devon. It's that exciting

edit to say - sorry - this is completely off topic lol
Old 09-16-2004, 07:34 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

If your from England and live in England, Genealogy can still be exciting because you learn about your family and their lives. Also, Bampton is but one name out of hundreds and thousands that are in your ancestry. One may not be able to find all these names, but the fun is in the hunt, because there are all kinds of things you can discover that you did not know before hand. In addition, someone living in England could potentially find they are related to people in the United States, Australia or Canada. I'm not talking about in the general sense either.