Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri

Log Cabin Republicans Denounce Senator Kerry's Support for Discriminatory Amendment

Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri

(Washington, DC)"We are deeply disappointed that Senator Kerry has decided to play politics with the Constitutional process in Missouri. It is yet another example of a Kerry flip-flop," said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director Patrick Guerriero. Senator Kerry told the Los Angeles Times, in an article published on Friday, that he would have voted for the anti-gay Missouri Constitutional Amendment.

http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/press_081004.html

Old 08-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Kerry's really pissing me off this week. He is so lame I can't even believe it. I am really tempted not to vote at all.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:52 AM
ditto, joyfulgirl. First he says he still would've given Bush the go ahead knowing what he knows now, and now this. WTF?

He's going to lose this election on his own if he keeps trying to make himself look like Bush instead of like his own person.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Kerry's really pissing me off this week. He is so lame I can't even believe it. I am really tempted not to vote at all.

Yup...I really don't know what I'm going to do now.

I was 99.9% sure I was going to vote for him but he's really lost me in the last few weeks. I hate the thought of not voting at all but this is the last straw for me.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

The choices the American public faces in November are GRIM.

So, when Kerry loses on the 2nd, does that mean that the Hillary campaign starts on the 3rd?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
ditto, joyfulgirl. First he says he still would've given Bush the go ahead knowing what he knows now, and now this. WTF?

He's going to lose this election on his own if he keeps trying to make himself look like Bush instead of like his own person.
What my wife, a very liberal woman said after the convention was that she felt like Kerry is trying to sell himself off as a better version of Bush. He agrees with the decisions of war, just not the way things are conducted.

Very wise statement....Diemen.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:52 PM
I agree, joyfulgirl and Diemen.

*sigh* This is very, very disappointing turn of events. I thought hope was on the way - and I know it sounds self defeating but it's very hard to see promise in a Kerry-led future if the lines between him and Bush become any more blurred.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Even Jon Stewart said, on his show Thurs. night ...
"Are you TRYING to loose this election." lol I have to wonder also. I don't think Kerry has quite realized that nearly everything either one of them say, could conceivably be quoted by anyone and come back to haunt them. He needs to make up his mind or watch more late night tv. Although I watched Bush on Larry King also, and he contradicted himself on the gay marriage issue. But everyone expects him to do this. Maybe he should read the book:
All the Presidents Spin and get some tip's on how the republicans became the spin masters they are.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Here's the article that Dread's link referred to:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

He said he would have voted against gay marriage, which - unfortunately is what he has been saying. I don't see a flip flop here, just sad news.

Nothing new really. He says he supports civil unions and doesn't think the constitution should be amended to ban gay marriage. He also says that the states should decide.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 AM
So he would have voted against gay marriage before he would have voted before it, its good that the has cleared that up,
Old 08-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

This doesn't encourage me.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I wish I had voted for Dennis Kucinich in our primary. I could have, and I didn't because Kerry had the nomination sewn up. But votes for Kucinich would have put more pressure on Kerry to at least think about issues in a different light, perhaps. I fd up big time.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

He said he would have voted against gay marriage, which - unfortunately is what he has been saying. I don't see a flip flop here, just sad news.

Nothing new really. He says he supports civil unions and doesn't think the constitution should be amended to ban gay marriage. He also says that the states should decide.

Is nobody besides Anne paying attention.

He has always said he is against gay marriage and for civil unions.

There is no flip flop
just misrepresentation by typical anti- kerry folks.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

no offence, dread

Quote:
THE RACE TO THE WHITE HOUSE
Kerry Backs Missouri Ban on Gay Marriage
By Mark Z. Barabak
Times Staff Writer

August 7, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Drawn into a Missouri debate over same-sex marriage, Sen. John F. Kerry said in an interview published Friday that he would've voted for the gay marriage ban passed overwhelmingly this week by state voters.

The Democratic presidential nominee, who spent parts of two days campaigning across Missouri, told the Kansas City Star that the ballot measure was the same as one his home state of Massachusetts passed a few years ago. Kerry supported that measure.

In a separate interview with Kansas City's NBC affiliate, Kerry reiterated that both he and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, are opposed to gay marriage, though they favor civil unions.

"We support nondiscrimination against our fellow Americans," Kerry said. "We've always argued the states will be capable of taking care of this by themselves. Massachusetts and Missouri are proving they are capable of taking care of it by themselves. [That] I think bears out that we didn't need a [federal] constitutional amendment in order to do what's right."

Kerry was referring to a proposed amendment, backed by President Bush, that would outlaw same-sex marriage. The amendment was derailed in the Senate in July.

On Tuesday, about 70% of Missouri voters approved adding language to the state Constitution reading, "To be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman."

A spokesman for the Human Rights Fund, a Washington group that lobbies for gay rights, said Kerry's support for the Missouri amendment was not surprising. "This is consistent with what he's been saying all along,'' Steven Fisher, the group's communications director, said.

How is this a FLIP FLOP?

The title to this thread is misleading.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Thank you deep. This is not a flip-flop at all for Kerry. He has said all along that he does NOT support a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages and that he thinks it should be left up to the individual states. He has also always said that he is personally opposed to same sex marriages.

that being said, I don't agree with him on this issue. If two people love each other and want to be together forever they should be allowed to be married in my book. If you can find love (with another adult of your own species lol) in this world more power to ya!

However, I still plan on voting for Kerry because at least he is willing to give the states the chance to allow same sex marriages. This is A LOT more than what Bush will do. He wants them banned totally in the United States.