Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Log Cabin Republicans Denounce Senator Kerry's Support for Discriminatory Amendment

Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri

(Washington, DC)?"We are deeply disappointed that Senator Kerry has decided to play politics with the Constitutional process in Missouri. It is yet another example of a Kerry flip-flop," said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director Patrick Guerriero. Senator Kerry told the Los Angeles Times, in an article published on Friday, that he would have voted for the anti-gay Missouri Constitutional Amendment.

http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/press_081004.html

Kerry's really pissing me off this week. He is so lame I can't even believe it. I am really tempted not to vote at all.

ditto, joyfulgirl. First he says he still would've given Bush the go ahead knowing what he knows now, and now this. WTF?

He's going to lose this election on his own if he keeps trying to make himself look like Bush instead of like his own person.

joyfulgirl said:
Kerry's really pissing me off this week. He is so lame I can't even believe it. I am really tempted not to vote at all.

Yup...I really don't know what I'm going to do now.

I was 99.9% sure I was going to vote for him but he's really lost me in the last few weeks. I hate the thought of not voting at all but this is the last straw for me. :down:

The choices the American public faces in November are GRIM.

So, when Kerry loses on the 2nd, does that mean that the Hillary campaign starts on the 3rd? :wink:

Diemen said:
ditto, joyfulgirl. First he says he still would've given Bush the go ahead knowing what he knows now, and now this. WTF?

He's going to lose this election on his own if he keeps trying to make himself look like Bush instead of like his own person.
What my wife, a very liberal woman said after the convention was that she felt like Kerry is trying to sell himself off as a better version of Bush. He agrees with the decisions of war, just not the way things are conducted.

Very wise statement....Diemen.

I agree, joyfulgirl and Diemen.

*sigh* This is very, very disappointing turn of events. I thought hope was on the way - and I know it sounds self defeating but it's very hard to see promise in a Kerry-led future if the lines between him and Bush become any more blurred.

Even Jon Stewart said, on his show Thurs. night ...
"Are you TRYING to loose this election." lol I have to wonder also. I don't think Kerry has quite realized that nearly everything either one of them say, could conceivably be quoted by anyone and come back to haunt them. He needs to make up his mind or watch more late night tv. Although I watched Bush on Larry King also, and he contradicted himself on the gay marriage issue. But everyone expects him to do this. Maybe he should read the book:
All the Presidents Spin and get some tip's on how the republicans became the spin masters they are.

So he would have voted against gay marriage before he would have voted before it, its good that the has cleared that up, :huh:

I wish I had voted for Dennis Kucinich in our primary. I could have, and I didn't because Kerry had the nomination sewn up. But votes for Kucinich would have put more pressure on Kerry to at least think about issues in a different light, perhaps. I f:censored:d up big time.

BostonAnne said:

He said he would have voted against gay marriage, which - unfortunately is what he has been saying. I don't see a flip flop here, just sad news.

Nothing new really. He says he supports civil unions and doesn't think the constitution should be amended to ban gay marriage. He also says that the states should decide.

Is nobody besides Anne paying attention.

He has always said he is against gay marriage and for civil unions.

There is no flip flop
just misrepresentation by typical anti- kerry folks.

no offence, dread

THE RACE TO THE WHITE HOUSE
Kerry Backs Missouri Ban on Gay Marriage
By Mark Z. Barabak
Times Staff Writer

August 7, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. ? Drawn into a Missouri debate over same-sex marriage, Sen. John F. Kerry said in an interview published Friday that he would've voted for the gay marriage ban passed overwhelmingly this week by state voters.

The Democratic presidential nominee, who spent parts of two days campaigning across Missouri, told the Kansas City Star that the ballot measure was the same as one his home state of Massachusetts passed a few years ago. Kerry supported that measure.

In a separate interview with Kansas City's NBC affiliate, Kerry reiterated that both he and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, are opposed to gay marriage, though they favor civil unions.

"We support nondiscrimination against our fellow Americans," Kerry said. "We've always argued the states will be capable of taking care of this by themselves. Massachusetts and Missouri are proving they are capable of taking care of it by themselves. [That] I think bears out that we didn't need a [federal] constitutional amendment in order to do what's right."

Kerry was referring to a proposed amendment, backed by President Bush, that would outlaw same-sex marriage. The amendment was derailed in the Senate in July.

On Tuesday, about 70% of Missouri voters approved adding language to the state Constitution reading, "To be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman."

A spokesman for the Human Rights Fund, a Washington group that lobbies for gay rights, said Kerry's support for the Missouri amendment was not surprising. "This is consistent with what he's been saying all along,'' Steven Fisher, the group's communications director, said.

How is this a FLIP FLOP?

The title to this thread is misleading.

Thank you deep. This is not a flip-flop at all for Kerry. He has said all along that he does NOT support a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages and that he thinks it should be left up to the individual states. He has also always said that he is personally opposed to same sex marriages.

that being said, I don't agree with him on this issue. If two people love each other and want to be together forever they should be allowed to be married in my book. If you can find love (with another adult of your own species lol) in this world more power to ya!

However, I still plan on voting for Kerry because at least he is willing to give the states the chance to allow same sex marriages. This is A LOT more than what Bush will do. He wants them banned totally in the United States.

LoveTown said:
Thank you deep. This is not a flip-flop at all for Kerry. He has said all along that he does NOT support a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages and that he thinks it should be left up to the individual states. He has also always said that he is personally opposed to same sex marriages.

that being said, I don't agree with him on this issue. If two people love each other and want to be together forever they should be allowed to be married in my book. If you can find love (with another adult of your own species lol) in this world more power to ya!

However, I still plan on voting for Kerry because at least he is willing to give the states the chance to allow same sex marriages. This is A LOT more than what Bush will do. He wants them banned totally in the United States.

Ditto this whole post. :up:.

Angela

Thanks to LoveTown, deep, Moonlit_Angel and BostonAnne.:yes:

The important thing to remember is that BUSH MUST BE DEFEATED in November.

Kerry is not perfect, nor is he anyone's savior, but he is a MUCH BETTER CHOICE for the hopes and needs of the vast majority of the American People than Bush. :up:

Every politician will spin their words and vacillate in their public comments occasionally - that's unfortunately the nature of the beast called politics. What is most important is what THEY DO, and not always in what they say.

So, I will not be swayed NOR WILL I BE DETERRED FROM VOTING FOR JOHN KERRY in November - no matter what a group of disaffected Republicans say!:ohmy:

I would encourage these Log Cabin folks to work harder in their own party to clean up their own mess before they point out a small spot in the Democrats' backyard.

I encourage folks here NOT TO BE SWAYED by every article posted here - people may be trying to steer you away from voting for a certain candidate you want to support and keep in office a candidate who has done nothing but create war and confusion abroad while creating an economic mess at home. :scratch:

Vote your own consciences. :hug:

Ah, in light of this other article, I think I am going to have to reverse my opinion (Gasp! I'm....flip-flopping!!!) :mac:.

The wording in the article dread linked made it sound like he was endorsing an amendment that banned gay marriage AND gay civil unions and that was it. Some obviously partisan writing in light of these other articles.

Last edited:
So Jamila you appear to subscribe to the ABB (Anybody But Bush) school of political thought - it makes me quite sad to consider that the passion of politics has gotten to a point of, he isn't as bad as the other guy!, I personally find it amusing to ignore the articles that are anti-Kerry but accept the anti-Bush ones. People should vote with their minds and not with their hearts, its the only way democracy can be kept in check.

Last edited:
It's very easy to ignore tripe like the article in this thread.

Kerry has never been for allowing Gay Marriage.
He has ALWAYS been against the Federal Amednment Proposal.
He has ALWAYS thought it should be left up to the states.

He hasn't flip-flopped on Iraq either, it's a myth.

Diemen said:
Ah, in light of this other article, I think I am going to have to reverse my opinion (Gasp! I'm....flip-flopping!!!) :mac:.

The wording in the article dread linked made it sound like he was endorsing an amendment that banned gay marriage AND gay civil unions and that was it. Some obviously partisan writing in light of these other articles.

:D

Perhaps Kerry will flip-flop on this issue and grow to support gay marriage too in a year or so.

joyfulgirl said:

That's how I feel about both candidates, all the time. Told you all, there ARE no 'least sucky' politicians. Voting is a waste of time until a better selection of candidates are available.

That's right, this really is not a flip-flop. He's on record as opposing gay marriage but supporting gay civil unions. I already knew this. When I posted those notes last night I'd just come in from a medieval faire where I worked my ass off and was really tired. It's OK. I'm still voting for him in November.

You do all realize that the article I posted was written by a gay man. The title of the thread came from his article.

And while some of you claim I posted partisan political things....The Log Cabin republicans, a gay group of republicans, have been BLASTING BUSH on their own site. They, while you would love to paint them as being partisan, have been very fair in their criticism of both men. The article I posted ends with this:

[Q]"It is wrong for President Bush to play politics with the Constitutional process and it is wrong for Senator Kerry and Senator Edwards to do the same thing," concluded Barron.[/Q]

Unfortunately it is getting more and more difficult to post any article, no matter how much some of us try, before it degenerates into Dread is posting partisan crap.

Check the log cabin boys out....While republican, they hold no punches.

http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/index

Just to clarify.....

Having re-read my article is that the flip flop is not in allowing the states to decide...which I concede he has said.

[Q]The Missouri amendment that Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards support is very different from the Massachusetts amendment that Kerry already backed. Unlike in Massachusetts, Missouri law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Additionally, unlike the Massachusetts amendment, the amendment in Missouri did not provide any protections, such as civil unions, for gay and lesbian couples.

"Senator Kerry's position before had been that he would only support an amendment that provides some protections for gay and lesbian families. He has flip-flopped once again and now supports a discriminatory amendment, without any protections, in a state where the law is already clear. This is an alarming departure from Senator Kerry's previous position," continued Barron.
[/Q]

The flip flop is in the fact that while he has consistently said he is opposed to gay marriage on a personal level, he has always been supportive of making sure there were provisions for equal rights, something based on my reading, is NOT AFFORDED by the Missouri provisions. That is the Flip Flop.

Peace

Dread is out.

Last edited:
For the record I certainly don't consider John Kerry above criticism. Quite frankly I don't hold any politicians in particularly high esteem. However, I do think I should vote. Sometimes the whole thing is a pain in the neck for me. But it's part of being a citizen to me. I do think that if we didn't have this punishing, expensive campaign season of ours we'd get better candidates. God knows how many good people this stupid system is keeping out of the campaigns. That's what pisses me off.:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

deep said:

Is nobody besides Anne paying attention.

He has always said he is against gay marriage and for civil unions.

There is no flip flop
just misrepresentation by typical anti- kerry folks.

While I love Anne because she does pay attention and does respond with things to back herself up........

Your typical Kerry misrepresentation gets old.

Maybe if we read the article provided by the link, we would see where the GAY man has issue with Kerry's position.

Dreadsox said:
Just to clarify.....

Having re-read my article is that the flip flop is not in allowing the states to decide...which I concede he has said.

[Q]The Missouri amendment that Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards support is very different from the Massachusetts amendment that Kerry already backed. Unlike in Massachusetts, Missouri law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Additionally, unlike the Massachusetts amendment, the amendment in Missouri did not provide any protections, such as civil unions, for gay and lesbian couples.

"Senator Kerry's position before had been that he would only support an amendment that provides some protections for gay and lesbian families. He has flip-flopped once again and now supports a discriminatory amendment, without any protections, in a state where the law is already clear. This is an alarming departure from Senator Kerry's previous position," continued Barron.
[/Q]

The flip flop is in the fact that while he has consistently said he is opposed to gay marriage on a personal level, he has always been supportive of making sure there were provisions for equal rights, something based on my reading, is NOT AFFORDED by the Missouri provisions. That is the Flip Flop.

Peace

Dread is out.

I don't know Dread. I still don't see it as a flip flop. This issue isn't about civil unions, it's about marriage. He stated his stance and is following it. Personally, I think it sucks - but flip flop? :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom