Kerry Flip-Flops Again to Support Anti-Gay Amendment in Missouri - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
Thank you deep. This is not a flip-flop at all for Kerry. He has said all along that he does NOT support a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages and that he thinks it should be left up to the individual states. He has also always said that he is personally opposed to same sex marriages.

that being said, I don't agree with him on this issue. If two people love each other and want to be together forever they should be allowed to be married in my book. If you can find love (with another adult of your own species lol) in this world more power to ya!

However, I still plan on voting for Kerry because at least he is willing to give the states the chance to allow same sex marriages. This is A LOT more than what Bush will do. He wants them banned totally in the United States.
Ditto this whole post. .

Angela

Old 08-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:43 AM
I'm really disgusted with both dems and
repubs now. I don't even listen to political news anymore.

Old 08-15-2004, 12:50 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Vote Nader
Old 08-15-2004, 02:12 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks to LoveTown, deep, Moonlit_Angel and BostonAnne.

The important thing to remember is that BUSH MUST BE DEFEATED in November.

Kerry is not perfect, nor is he anyone's savior, but he is a MUCH BETTER CHOICE for the hopes and needs of the vast majority of the American People than Bush.

Every politician will spin their words and vacillate in their public comments occasionally - that's unfortunately the nature of the beast called politics. What is most important is what THEY DO, and not always in what they say.

So, I will not be swayed NOR WILL I BE DETERRED FROM VOTING FOR JOHN KERRY in November - no matter what a group of disaffected Republicans say!

I would encourage these Log Cabin folks to work harder in their own party to clean up their own mess before they point out a small spot in the Democrats' backyard.

I encourage folks here NOT TO BE SWAYED by every article posted here - people may be trying to steer you away from voting for a certain candidate you want to support and keep in office a candidate who has done nothing but create war and confusion abroad while creating an economic mess at home.

Vote your own consciences.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:25 AM   #20
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Ah, in light of this other article, I think I am going to have to reverse my opinion (Gasp! I'm....flip-flopping!!!) .

The wording in the article dread linked made it sound like he was endorsing an amendment that banned gay marriage AND gay civil unions and that was it. Some obviously partisan writing in light of these other articles.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 PM
So Jamila you appear to subscribe to the ABB (Anybody But Bush) school of political thought - it makes me quite sad to consider that the passion of politics has gotten to a point of, he isn't as bad as the other guy!, I personally find it amusing to ignore the articles that are anti-Kerry but accept the anti-Bush ones. People should vote with their minds and not with their hearts, its the only way democracy can be kept in check.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:48 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's very easy to ignore tripe like the article in this thread.

Kerry has never been for allowing Gay Marriage.
He has ALWAYS been against the Federal Amednment Proposal.
He has ALWAYS thought it should be left up to the states.

He hasn't flip-flopped on Iraq either, it's a myth.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:52 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Ah, in light of this other article, I think I am going to have to reverse my opinion (Gasp! I'm....flip-flopping!!!) .

The wording in the article dread linked made it sound like he was endorsing an amendment that banned gay marriage AND gay civil unions and that was it. Some obviously partisan writing in light of these other articles.

Perhaps Kerry will flip-flop on this issue and grow to support gay marriage too in a year or so.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:17 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Kerry's really pissing me off this week. He is so lame I can't even believe it. I am really tempted not to vote at all.
That's how I feel about both candidates, all the time. Told you all, there ARE no 'least sucky' politicians. Voting is a waste of time until a better selection of candidates are available.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:31 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

That's right, this really is not a flip-flop. He's on record as opposing gay marriage but supporting gay civil unions. I already knew this. When I posted those notes last night I'd just come in from a medieval faire where I worked my ass off and was really tired. It's OK. I'm still voting for him in November.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

You do all realize that the article I posted was written by a gay man. The title of the thread came from his article.

And while some of you claim I posted partisan political things....The Log Cabin republicans, a gay group of republicans, have been BLASTING BUSH on their own site. They, while you would love to paint them as being partisan, have been very fair in their criticism of both men. The article I posted ends with this:

[Q]"It is wrong for President Bush to play politics with the Constitutional process and it is wrong for Senator Kerry and Senator Edwards to do the same thing," concluded Barron.[/Q]

Unfortunately it is getting more and more difficult to post any article, no matter how much some of us try, before it degenerates into Dread is posting partisan crap.

Check the log cabin boys out....While republican, they hold no punches.

http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/index
Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Just to clarify.....

Having re-read my article is that the flip flop is not in allowing the states to decide...which I concede he has said.

[Q]The Missouri amendment that Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards support is very different from the Massachusetts amendment that Kerry already backed. Unlike in Massachusetts, Missouri law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Additionally, unlike the Massachusetts amendment, the amendment in Missouri did not provide any protections, such as civil unions, for gay and lesbian couples.

"Senator Kerry's position before had been that he would only support an amendment that provides some protections for gay and lesbian families. He has flip-flopped once again and now supports a discriminatory amendment, without any protections, in a state where the law is already clear. This is an alarming departure from Senator Kerry's previous position," continued Barron.
[/Q]

The flip flop is in the fact that while he has consistently said he is opposed to gay marriage on a personal level, he has always been supportive of making sure there were provisions for equal rights, something based on my reading, is NOT AFFORDED by the Missouri provisions. That is the Flip Flop.

Peace

Dread is out.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

For the record I certainly don't consider John Kerry above criticism. Quite frankly I don't hold any politicians in particularly high esteem. However, I do think I should vote. Sometimes the whole thing is a pain in the neck for me. But it's part of being a citizen to me. I do think that if we didn't have this punishing, expensive campaign season of ours we'd get better candidates. God knows how many good people this stupid system is keeping out of the campaigns. That's what pisses me off.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Is nobody besides Anne paying attention.

He has always said he is against gay marriage and for civil unions.

There is no flip flop
just misrepresentation by typical anti- kerry folks.
While I love Anne because she does pay attention and does respond with things to back herself up........

Your typical Kerry misrepresentation gets old.

Maybe if we read the article provided by the link, we would see where the GAY man has issue with Kerry's position.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:54 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Just to clarify.....

Having re-read my article is that the flip flop is not in allowing the states to decide...which I concede he has said.

[Q]The Missouri amendment that Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards support is very different from the Massachusetts amendment that Kerry already backed. Unlike in Massachusetts, Missouri law already defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Additionally, unlike the Massachusetts amendment, the amendment in Missouri did not provide any protections, such as civil unions, for gay and lesbian couples.

"Senator Kerry's position before had been that he would only support an amendment that provides some protections for gay and lesbian families. He has flip-flopped once again and now supports a discriminatory amendment, without any protections, in a state where the law is already clear. This is an alarming departure from Senator Kerry's previous position," continued Barron.
[/Q]

The flip flop is in the fact that while he has consistently said he is opposed to gay marriage on a personal level, he has always been supportive of making sure there were provisions for equal rights, something based on my reading, is NOT AFFORDED by the Missouri provisions. That is the Flip Flop.

Peace

Dread is out.
I don't know Dread. I still don't see it as a flip flop. This issue isn't about civil unions, it's about marriage. He stated his stance and is following it. Personally, I think it sucks - but flip flop?