Kerry Concedes - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i think we're pretty smrt, too.
Word.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:36 AM
I have been considering moving to another state recently, but this election has made me realize that I don't want to live in a traditionally democratic state, even though I'm indepdent. I do prefer the strongly Republican environment.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
Moral values=religious beliefs in the bible belt. Hence, I agree with deep's comment.
Other than redneck stereotypes, what do you really understand about the Bible Belt?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

You don't know at all what the bible belt understands. Neither do I, since I'm not considered in the Bible belt (thank goodness). Of course they do, but what's wrong with voting your values? Didn't you????

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they're stupid or don't understand and can't decide what they think is best for them and this country.

Maybe you're just a little big religious-phobic. That doesn't make you right.
I DID vote with my values. I am just saying that I agree with Deep's comment about the "lord" being at the polls. They (bible belt) voted from their religious values which are very similar to Bush's religious values which in turn has made this war on Terror a "crusade" (Bush did say this) and THAT's what angers me. THAT's WRONG! This country is on the brink of turning into a theocracy, and that scares me.

I am not religious phobic, by the way. I am a catholic, but I believe in SEPERATION of CHURCH AND STATE, and that is what's "right". I don't have to be "right"
Old 11-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #50
Acrobat

Quote:

I DID vote with my values. I am just saying that I agree with Deep's comment about the "lord" being at the polls. They (bible belt) voted from their religious values which are very similar to Bush's religious values which in turn has made this war on Terror a "crusade" (Bush did say this) and THAT's what angers me. THAT's WRONG! This country is on the brink of turning into a theocracy, and that scares me.

I am not religious phobic, by the way. I am a catholic, but I believe in SEPERATION of CHURCH AND STATE, and that is what's "right". I don't have to be "right"
What's wrong with voting from your religious values?

What's wrong with leading a country using your values (which is one of the reasons you were elected - at least this time around). I guess it's time for the rest of the country to look at the center, eh?

This country has always had a close alliance with church and state right from the start. It hasn't divorced itself from it. In fact this last election shows that is has just been made stronger. But, if the majority of the people feel this way what are you going to do about it?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think you may have bought the hyperbole on the issue. The same things were said during the Reagan years. Remember the influence of the "Moral Majority"?

And what happened? Did we turn into a theocracy? NO.

Will it happen now? NO.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #52
War Child

Quote:

What's wrong with voting from your religious values?

What's wrong with leading a country using your values (which is one of the reasons you were elected - at least this time around). I guess it's time for the rest of the country to look at the center, eh?

This country has always had a close alliance with church and state right from the start. It hasn't divorced itself from it. In fact this last election shows that is has just been made stronger. But, if the majority of the people feel this way what are you going to do about it?
Nothing. I think it's just wrong, in my opinion. And the majority of the people "who voted" feel this way, not ALL the people. I think we are making this war about religion and that's not what it is about, and I think people are falling into this trap. I believe in separation of Church and State. And I think more than ever (in my lifetime at least) we have moved the farthest away from this "moral value."
Old 11-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #53
Acrobat

Quote:

Nothing. I think it's just wrong, in my opinion. And the majority of the people "who voted" feel this way, not ALL the people. I think we are making this war about religion and that's not what it is about, and I think people are falling into this trap. I believe in separation of Church and State. And I think more than ever (in my lifetime at least) we have moved the farthest away from this "moral value."
I agree with nbcrusader above.

If to a person religion is a major part of their lives then everything is viewed through these glasses, and it's A-OKAY. There's nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone has their own perspective, and yours is not better than theirs.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:33 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think we are making this war about religion and that's not what it is about, and I think people are falling into this trap.
I would share your concerns if people are making the "War on Terror" into a religious war. I think Bush has made overt statements to say this is NOT a war between Christians and Muslims. Bush has been clear that a small minority is trying to hijack Islam in this conflict.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:35 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:36 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it at all.
There's definitely something wrong when your personal religious values are transformed into legislation. Who are you to push your opinions on gay marriage on other people (and I'm using ' you' in general here)?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Word.
thought you'd like that one
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Not surprisingly, my mother is really, really upset. She's convinced that we are on a one-way road to decline. Gosh, I hope not. But alot can happen in four years.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:36 PM

I guess this thread is in serious danger of getting derailed.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

america survived pearl harbor, america survived vietnam, america survived watergate, america survived dan quayle, america survived monica lewinsky, america survived 9/11... america would have survived if john kerry has been elected, and america will survive with 4 more years of bush.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #60
New Yorker

In my mind it's a sad day for America and the world.