Katie Isn't Thin Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, in that picture she does look like she's had a make-over. She's too thin. Let's let women be themselves. I wouldn't do that.

Way too thin, verte...

I mean you have regular thin, or overdone-thin :slant: What is the purpose in living your life 'fighting your body' every damn day, 24/7? Because in my opinion, that is what these women are doing. Fighting their own natural bodies, just to answer to a certain media image. And tell me, do you really think they're happy like this in the long run?

Last edited:
I'm not really shocked or intrigued by all of this. I thought it was generally accepted that magazines have been airbrushing and touching up since the beginning of colour photography.

I don't feel that as a guy I have to aspire to be a muscle-man just because someone photoshopped a famous tennis player's face onto a buffer body for a fitness magazine cover.

Canadiens1160 said:

I don't feel that as a guy I have to aspire to be a muscle-man just because someone photoshopped a famous tennis player's face onto a buffer body for a fitness magazine cover.

How many images of females do you see like this?

King%20of%20Queens.jpg

14549103_03.jpg

according%20to%20jim.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I loved that Mark Addy's (the guy on the right) character in The Full Monty was all worried about how he looked. I mean I felt sorry for the character, but it was kind of nice to see a guy worry (in a movie anyway) that he didn't look good enough.

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm not really shocked or intrigued by all of this. I thought it was generally accepted that magazines have been airbrushing and touching up since the beginning of colour photography.

I knew they airbrushed and touched up. The shocking things about that video were a) seeing it all done rapidly, so the transformation is like a morph and b) seeing the stuff I had no idea they did, like the neck elongation.

And there is a lot less pressure on guys to look like magazine pictures, furthermore, as shown in the pictures above, there are plenty of media images of mediocre guys but their wives still are smoking to be actresses that make it onto TV. Not saying there aren't good looking guys on TV but there are way more mediocre/average guys than girls. Same is true for ad campaigns which we are barraged with.

Yeah I'm waiting for the TV show with the hot good looking guy with the "average or below average and/or overweight" wife, girlfriend. Where is it, is there one? But that's not a double standard of course. Just like I'm waiting for Charlie Gibson and Brian Williams to be made slimmer in their network promo magazines. Obviously airbrushing takes place everywhere but the double standard/higher standard for women, more scrutiny on their looks remains.

Back
Top Bottom