Karma - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:34 PM
What is it, exactly? I don't mean (or necessarily want to exclude) the 'you reap what you sow' karma we throw around often when discussing the inevitable bad luck which happens to people who do bad things, though that perhaps might be part of it. I know Buddhism speaks of it (a bit?) in it's teachings, and it's a common theme in many religions and spiritual schools of thought, but I am interested in a somewhat more detailed answer than a mere balance for individuals.
I've got a friend who is very into all this, he mainly talks about it when he's smoked a few and then he ceases to make much sense lol.
I know a few of the FYM ladies have made mention of the greater and wider implications of it, but they at the time seemed hesitant to delve too far into it because the thread at the time was steering into lockdown, so I'd hope they might come forward. Either way, anyone who can share their views, I'd love to hear them.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Listening to acoustic version of "black stars" and enjoying it is good Karma

Karma literally mean "action or work done"

In English ( and philosphically), it means something different.

3 entries found for karma.
kar·ma ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kärm)
n.
Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
Fate; destiny.
Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:34 AM

Old 05-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Angela, I'd love to get into this but it's such a deep subject that I don't think I have adequate time to give to it right now. Much of what I'd say was already in the thread you are referencing, and I am reluctant to go there again because I don't have the energy for another religious fight. But let me think about it and maybe over the weekend I can get into it.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Much of what I'd say was already in the thread you are referencing, and I am reluctant to go there again because I don't have the energy for another religious fight.
As usual, what I wanted to say, but much more tactfully and without swearing.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Thanks everyone. Joyful and Martha, thanks for replying. I really dont want any arguments to take place over this and more importantly for you guys to feel as anyone does when these fym fights flare up. For that reason, please dont feel you need to answer again with an answer just to respond from politeness or anything. It isn't worth it if it will end up nasty. We can let this slide so no one ends up in that position. Preventative medicine, so to speak. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
"Karma" is a Sanskrit word meaning "action". It's a concept in the Buddhist tradition and it's complex, it's tied up in their belief in reincarnation. "Nuff said.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Angie, theres a fair bit of Karma discussion going on over at this thread:

http://forum.interference.com/t126501.html
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Kinda pitiful that a belief/idea outside the "traditional" Christian doesn't get discussed because so many people will try to preach over it.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #10
Jesus Online

Thanks guys. Beli that is the exact thing I'd want to avoid, but thank you anyway as it was an interesting read. The few responses which danced around karma are the kind of things I want to talk about, but not with Christianity alongside it. I dont want to hear from a Christian perspective about it, or hear them refute it. I'm not interested in it's correctness or incorrectness, I just want an idea of what it is all about -- A Q&A type thread. I only have a vague understanding of what it fundamentally is and my interest was piqued a while ago. It was precisely Joyful and Martha whom I knew were learned on it, from that other thread which I now cannot even recall the name of - but do remember it was long and filled with arguments (even finding the thread now would be fruitless as I merely want a Q&A factual thread on it). I dont want them to go through that again, and clearly neither do they. I'm probably sounding rather uppity toward anyone who hasn't even replied to this as of now, ie our Christian members, but it happened once before, and more recently in the GIS forum, so I understand where the Martha, joyful and indra are coming from.

So that is that, I guess. It wouldn't be right to ask Christian perspectives be kept out of this, as we are supposed to be welcoming of all responses and views, but frankly, I'm not interested in Christianity for this thread. Other times, yes, perhaps. But just not now.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Cool. Sorry. I don't recall this mythical closed thread so I'm unware of the previous issues.

I was amused that I was asking about karma in one forum at the same time you were asking about it in another. :cm:
Old 05-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #12
Jesus Online

it's another sign we belong together! on our island!
/practicing jealous lover routine

:cm:

this thread where martha and joyful were discussing it was perhaps some time last year. it wasnt about karma, but something else. it might have even been closed, not because of them though at all. just because it was one of those marathon FYM bitch fights where no one is listening to anyone except the last person who said they were a fucking moron etc.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:10 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's not so hard. You just keep bringing the thread back to topic.
You don't need to reply to the other posts. You just respond to those posters who are keeping on topic. That's how you control it. You don't react. It's really pretty easy to do if you don't get sidetracked. Appears there are enough people interested in this topic to keep it going.

Personally, I think it would be an interesting topic. I've been reading up on Buddhism recently and would like to know more about karma. One of the books I read implied that is more your intent when doing an action than the actual outcome that determines whether it is good or bad karma.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
She's the One

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Re: Karma

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
What is it, exactly? I don't mean (or necessarily want to exclude) the 'you reap what you sow' karma we throw around often when discussing the inevitable bad luck which happens to people who do bad things, though that perhaps might be part of it.
Well, let's start here.

The "reap what you sow" idea is it in a nutshell really, but extended through a series of many many lifetimes. You spend these lives aquiring and discharging karma, both good and bad, learning the lessons needed to advance your soul. Your actions, again both good and bad, determine what happens to you in subsequent lifetimes. Dharma, or (very very simplified) how you respond to and carry out your karma, comes into play as well.

Karma, both good and bad, is binding. My religion teaches that the ultimate goal is to be rid of both kinds of karma, for "golden chains are still chains."

We'll see how this goes.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One of the things, I love about Buddhism. Just when you think you have a grasp on it, they tell you you can't hold on to that either. Took me a long time to get relaxed about that, now I kind of enjoy it.

How did Buddhism mean (and I am assuming you are Buddhist here, Martha) by being rid of good karma? Would you clarify Dharma for me?

What I gathered from what I have learned on Buddhist teaching (and being a complete neophyte, I defer to any practicing Buddhists here) is that karma is everything you send out--action, thought, intent, whether positive or negative and all of these have consequence. But to be too concerned with karma--the idea of good and bad being completely separate entities--you begin to make too many judgments, which begins to block you from the objectivity which Buddhism asks you to view life with. Am I close here, Martha?