Karma - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 08:55 PM
I'm not a Buddhist at all, so I can't answer some of your questions, and I can only answer the rest as I see them.

As I see it, being overly concerned with your karma will bring you to a standstill, because you'd be unable to act at all. Every action, thought, and intent does indeed produce karma, either good or bad, so an unhealthy focus on trying not to create it would be counterproductive. A conscious effort to do only good is a better goal. While all karma binds, I personally feel it's better to be bound with golden chains.

Dharma as I inderstand it, is the way you live through your karma. To offer an example, say one of the results of lessons learned and karma accumulated is that in this lifetime you happen to be dreadfully unhealthy and doomed to die early. The laws of dharma require that you live through it with resolve and without railing against God or others for making your life the way it is. Dharma does not require you to avoid medical treatments that may prolong your life or ease your suffering, but you must accept what is happening to you as a result of karma from previous lives and actions.

I'm still very tentative here, because now we're getting into territory that Christians are unable to grasp.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is your religion, if you don't mind my asking?

No reason to be tentative. It's not a Christian thread so Christians don't have to grasp it. (Some will be able to, though)

Old 05-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
this thread where martha and joyful were discussing it was perhaps some time last year. it wasnt about karma, but something else. it might have even been closed, not because of them though at all. just because it was one of those marathon FYM bitch fights where no one is listening to anyone except the last person who said they were a fucking moron etc.
i think i know which thread that is. i remember because it was new year's and icelle was visiting me and we were reading it. martha and joyful both said some really beautiful things about karma in that thread.

i'm going to link it, but be careful anna, it's a beast...

http://forum.interference.com/t108058.html
Old 05-22-2005, 07:08 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Yep, that's the thread, the great tsunami thread.

I like this Q&A format. When I was thinking about where to start with talking about karma it paralyzed me, but I think I could handle a few questions. I agree with everything martha has said so well already.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
What is your religion, if you don't mind my asking?

I follow the teachings of Avatar Meher Baba.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:05 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I am also not Buddhist and cannot answer questions about karma from the Buddhist perspective. I am a student of surat shabd yoga, which means the yoga of light and sound.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Now I'm completely lost. Can you give me some background?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I'd personally rather keep the discussion on karma and not my particular spiritual path. I'll only discuss that privately with people who are sincerely interested. Sorry, but I feel pretty strongly about that for a lot of reasons. But it's important that people understand that there are as many different teachings related to karma as there are on Christianity.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Understood.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Old 05-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Isn't karma about the journey of energy as it assumes various forms?

foray
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:55 PM
If either of you feel ok answering some questions in a Q&A format, I cant tell how you how grateful I'd be. If it gets nasty, I'll personally ask someone to close it straight away. I personally am not looking for a debate and I respect the opinions of all, obviously more than the sake of a mere thread. I'd like to ask a big favour of anyone who has strong objections, to please keep out. I respect everyone's objections to any school of thought different to their or my own, but I personally just want to learn. I'd like that opportunity.

Life for the individual. It is cyclic? This is one of many many years, more previously, and more to come? I suppose this is reincarnation I am asking about. Are we people only? Or any living animal? Are our lives exclusive to others? I mean, how does our ongoing life cycle relate to not only the world, but to others? Are others (souls) important in this process?

What is the purpose, for want of a better word? Does it end somewhere? Why is it ongoing? What are we looking to achieve with this knowledge?

I'll keep it to that for now. I have many more, but I dont want to go on if this thread ends up dying. If either of you, or anyone else, prefer not to reply, please dont feel you should. Let the thread sink and it will be cool. I'm just after some information on this philosophy. I do hope everyone can respect not only the school of thought at least enough to keep it civil in here, but the idea of this thread simply being a learning tool.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Life for the individual. It is cyclic? This is one of many many years, more previously, and more to come? I suppose this is reincarnation I am asking about. Are we people only? Or any living animal? Are our lives exclusive to others? I mean, how does our ongoing life cycle relate to not only the world, but to others? Are others (souls) important in this process?

What is the purpose, for want of a better word? Does it end somewhere? Why is it ongoing? What are we looking to achieve with this knowledge?
From what I understand reincarnation happens again and again and again and I think that many versions of karma believe that you can be reincarnated as an animal, but I don't know that all do. The cycle of reincarnation can be escaped by reaching enlightenment which is very difficult to achieve and few people are able to do it. If I remember correctly once you escape the cycle of reincarnation through reaching enlightenment instead of being reborn when you die your soul goes to a higher plane of consciousness.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

my karma coincides w my mojo

db3
Old 05-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #30
She's the One

Quote:

Life for the individual. It is cyclic? This is one of many many years, more previously, and more to come? I suppose this is reincarnation I am asking about. Are we people only? Or any living animal?

In my faith, individual souls start out as inanimate objects (don't ask; I don't really understand it myself) and work their way through the cycles of rebirth to eventually reach humanity. Once you are human, you don't go back.

Quote:
Are our lives exclusive to others? I mean, how does our ongoing life cycle relate to not only the world, but to others? Are others (souls) important in this process?
This may be where karma comes in if I'm understanding your questions properly. We all are connected with each other. For example, I know that my husband and I have been together before. I can tell by how we relate to each other; the instant familiarity and connection we had when we met when we were 11.

Quote:

We are looking to reach Oneness with God. When we can eliminate our karma, we can achieve the Oneness with God that is within all of us.