Kafir and Alan= MY 2 heroes. Total Diamondmove at the Peace Rally.. luv these guys. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #61
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Tell me this: why aren't any of the protestors addressing the current human rights abuses in Iraq if humanitarian causes are truly their concern? Is it the same attitude of Jesse Jackson, who refuses to campaign against institutional slavery in Sudan because it would be perceived as "anti-Arab" for him to speak against it? I am not trying to put the burden and liability of any of these proterstors on your shoulder, I am just wanting to hear an explanation from any of you.
As others have stated, the current human rights issues in Iraq have been mostly ignored by the west over the last couple of decades. Interesting that the "pro-war" folks are suddenly proclaiming this their big issue. The peace rallies are about PEACE. If the human rights issues in Iraq are to be protested, then all pro-war (a curious term by the way) and anti-war people should together be protesting said violations.

Why aren't the pro-End-Sadaam's-Tyranny-By-Any-Means-Necessary people protesting by the millions against Sadaam's human rights violations?? That's the truly valid question.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:50 AM   #62
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
[B]Diamond is right !!

Calling those two guys moron is unwarranted no matter how much free a country you live in. Everyone has his views and you cant go on calling everyone who doesnot agree with you as "morons"
Those two guys are calling the millions of pro-peace demonstrators morons. See the contradiction there?

Quote:
I really envy Saddam Hussian - he has got so much of world support. I am beginning to think he is getting more & more popular. Not in Iraq but in USA.
That's a ridiculous and insulting statement.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #63
New Yorker

Re: Where was public opinion 10, 20 years ago!?

Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx

If we were really doing this as a humanitarian and preemptive mission, then we should be as humanitarian in our war plans as possible. But we're not, we have a MASSIVE buildup and we're going to use the shock-and-awe strategy and flex our big muscles and make sure every one else gets the message. U.S. imperalism will not be deterred!

I think most everybody is for the removal of Saddam, and sense it can be done without a massive full-scale shock-and-awe war and the hidden agendas associated with it. I think that is what is reflected in the anti-war movement more than anything.
You make some great points, elfyx, and eloquently stated.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:45 AM   #64
New Yorker

Actually, folks, this whole discussion and all other debates about the current U.S. military buildup in Iraq, as well as any peace rallies held in opposition to said buildup are completely moot because, luckily for us, under the Gulf War Ceasefire Agreement and its resolutions as ratified by the U.N. member nations, the U.S. is authorized by law to bomb Iraq and remove Sadaam from power. How are we authorized, you ask? Because Sadaam has violated the terms of the ceasefire agreement, and that violation is by default an act of war.

Hence, Iraq is at presently at war with the international community. U.N. member states are mandated to enforce the applicable U.N. Security Council resolutions of the ceasefire agreement, the most important of which is Resolution 678, which authorizes U.N. member states to use all necessary means to uphold any and all U.N. resolutions pertaining to Iraq and to restore international peace and security in the area.

For more than a decade, the U.S. government has been justifying military action against Iraq per resolution 678.

So you see, any debate surrounding the impending war is moot. No need to argue over the peace rallies, or potential deaths of innocent people – I dare say, no need to use our brains in any fashion whatsoever with respect to “arguing Iraq,” because Iraq has clearly violated the terms of the ceasefire agreement. Case closed.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #65
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Re: Re: I'll try to answer

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

It seems they are preoccupied w/one thing-hatred towards America, no Bono openmindedness there.

I actually think they are more preoccupied by hatred toward GW Bush and his administration than a hatred of America
Old 02-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Re: Re: Re: I'll try to answer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I actually think they are more preoccupied by hatred toward GW Bush and his administration than a hatred of America
I agree, they are angry with the government, not the people. I actually read in the press where some demonstrators somewhere said that. They said they were mad at the U.S. government but not the people. I'm concerned at human rights abuses in Iraq. Saddam Hussein reminds me of Slobodan Milosevic, the Atrocity Dictator From Hell. I actually had trouble with stress and stuff during Kosovo because I was very upset with the atrocities and I was wishing to hell the war could take him out. Unfortunately, it didn't. I'm not convinced a war could take Saddam out. If I felt like it would I'd have different sentiments. I'm afraid it would be another Kosovo type bust. That was a horrible experience for me and I wouldn't go through it again for love or money.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

In case you're wondering how I got into fund-raising, it was Kosovo. I started looking for aid agencies to help those people. I was stressed and sad about the horrible things that were going on. Some idiot shot a woman nursing a baby. There was a new horror story every day. Mass graves, etc, etc..........unspeakable. I can't believe some of the things people do.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Actually, folks, this whole discussion and all other debates about the current U.S. military buildup in Iraq, as well as any peace rallies held in opposition to said buildup are completely moot because, luckily for us, under the Gulf War Ceasefire Agreement and its resolutions as ratified by the U.N. member nations, the U.S. is authorized by law to bomb Iraq and remove Sadaam from power. How are we authorized, you ask? Because Sadaam has violated the terms of the ceasefire agreement, and that violation is by default an act of war.

Hence, Iraq is at presently at war with the international community. U.N. member states are mandated to enforce the applicable U.N. Security Council resolutions of the ceasefire agreement, the most important of which is Resolution 678, which authorizes U.N. member states to use all necessary means to uphold any and all U.N. resolutions pertaining to Iraq and to restore international peace and security in the area.

For more than a decade, the U.S. government has been justifying military action against Iraq per resolution 678.

So you see, any debate surrounding the impending war is moot. No need to argue over the peace rallies, or potential deaths of innocent people – I dare say, no need to use our brains in any fashion whatsoever with respect to “arguing Iraq,” because Iraq has clearly violated the terms of the ceasefire agreement. Case closed.
Wow...so many things wrong with this post. Umm...if you want to join in the debate over resolution 678 here is the link. I do not feel like turning this thread into a debate on that. Or was this sarcasm?

http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=72549
Old 02-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Please, enough of that already

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

after viewing the taught hatred of almost anything USA/or WesternCulture by the main body of protesters..
this is a tough sell.
You see the protesters turn a blind eye to all of the good America has done thru out the world.
It seems they are preoccupied w/one thing-hatred towards America, no Bono openmindedness there.

As this thing keeps appearing, once and for all, explain to me how people disagreeing with US administration (including many Americans themselves!), are automatically against America.
I am sure no one there has a problem with the American people, just like I'm sure Americans don't have a problem with people who disagree with Bush. (I could be wrong though)
And no more of that "anti war = pro Saddam" argument either, too simplistic and not true.

Also, did you read in FYM that Bono was seen in an anti-war march in Dublin?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Have you thought of writing a play spoofing the demonstrators? I think that would be very clever and funny and informative, all at the same time.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Please, enough of that already

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Also, did you read in FYM that Bono was seen in an anti-war march in Dublin?
And this means what? That I as a U2 fan should not be upset that the United Nations has turned away from its responsibilities? That I should be happy that they are not enforcing the Terms of the Peace Agreement among other things?

Why has Saddam even entertained the thought of inspections again? DO you think it is because the UN passed another reolution last fall? There is one reason and one reason only....He is afraid he will be removed from power.

Why are there reports today that he is not cooperating any more than when the inspections started last fall? Because he believes the tide has turned in his favor.

If you think, that peacefully, this man, his family, and the Ba'ath party that he belongs to will repond to anything other than the loss of power you are fooling yourselves. His behavior over the past 20 years clearly demonstrate this fact.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Please, enough of that already

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
If you think, that peacefully, this man, his family, and the Ba'ath party that he belongs to will repond to anything other than the loss of power you are fooling yourselves. His behavior over the past 20 years clearly demonstrate this fact.
I believe, perhaps unfortunately, that this is, indeed, the truth of the matter.

Melon
Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Have you thought of writing a play spoofing the demonstrators? I think that would be very clever and funny and informative, all at the same time.
Ooh...thanks for the idea.

*has been generating ideas for a new screenplay

Melon
Old 02-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Good grief. I'm sure Bono knows that not everybody likes it that he did the demonstration. This coming Saturday in Birmingham the local Young Republicans at the University are having a peaceful rally to support the troops. God forbid that I presume any sort of right to do your political thinking for you but I don't think having your own rally is such a bad idea. Make signs! Call up the local military, the local Republicans, and (perhaps) political officials to get speakers. Stage your own spoof! It can't hurt.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Ooh...thanks for the idea.

*has been generating ideas for a new screenplay

Melon
I want the part of the aging bald republican.