Just Wait for the Rioting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Congratulations to SBS and the SMH for taking a stand for the free press by publishing these images that will no doubt upset Muslims and fuel more anti-American sentiment abroad. These are images that they don't want you to see and are being published.

Check it out

Oh and these are both media outlets that took a stand against those Danish cartoons.

A_Wanderer said:

Oh and these are both media outlets that took a stand against those Danish cartoons.

they were right both times

refuse to print cartoons created for no other purpose than to incite

and print photos that are evidence of torture crimes

abughraib6.jpg

Free speech is an absolute, it extends to publishing US soldiers stripping down, beating and degrading prisoners to the Mukhabarat dismembering prisoners. It also extends to free expression including cartoons depicting the so-called prophet Mohammed. To compromise any element of that liberty ensures that it is that little bit easier to compromise another.

I fully support publishing these pictures, I also encourage people to see for themselves what went on at Abu Ghraib both under US control and the crimes comitted by the regime that they deposed. Both bad to be sure, not shying away from either will at least mean that you are more informed.

If you put free speech on a gradient then your rights will only roll down.

Last edited:
But the Danish cartoons are clearly only created to aggrevate the Muslim Community. Free speech is always a necessity, but not speech that's deliberately and purely provocative. I hardly think that the reactions (riotings on Muslims behalf) are justified, they aren't, but free speech, like everything else, comes with limitations. Kinda offtopic, sorry

It does not come with limitations set by government, social and political fears may force one to consider what they say and publish but the freedom to do say anything that does not directly infringe upon the rights of other individuals must be unlimited.

That includes both documentation of human rights violations and free expression.

AussieU2fanman said:
But the Danish cartoons are clearly only created to aggrevate the Muslim Community. Free speech is always a necessity, but not speech that's deliberately and purely provocative. I hardly think that the reactions (riotings on Muslims behalf) are justified, they aren't, but free speech, like everything else, comes with limitations. Kinda offtopic, sorry

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
BRAVO!!!

I've been saying this for a long time.....

Free speech does not come with limitations; limitations, thus, make it not free. However, free speech also comes with the right to criticize expressions of others' free speech that one deems to be in poor taste. But that right does not extend into banning it.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for the Muslim world, considering the kind of virulently anti-Semitic nonsense that beams from Arabic-language satellite TV. Iran didn't need a "Holocaust cartoon contest," because that's really redundant compared to what they broadcast on a regular basis.

Melon

Last edited:
AussieU2fanman said:

Imans are using the cartoons to aggrevate the Muslim community. It is not a spontaneous response to individuals viewing the cartoons.

verte76 said:
Sometimes "freedom of speech" is more "license to insult" than anything else.

:up:

I'm off to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater.

Freedom of speech is certainly a right, but it is also a responsibility, and one that must be wielded with care.

nbcrusader said:

Imans are using the cartoons to aggrevate the Muslim community. It is not a spontaneous response to individuals viewing the cartoons.

Yeah, didn't the cartoons initially come out in December..and have been peddled around to various religious and political leaders since then simply to cause trouble?

Back
Top Bottom