Just saw Fahrenheit 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a DVD out called farenHYPE 9/11 by Dick Morris that disproves quite a bit of Moore's assertions and basically makes the film look like propaganda.

Moore links the Bush clan to the Saudis through the Carlyle group. He leaves out the fact that George Soros (sp?) also made millions through Carlyle, and using Moore's own conspiracy criteria, Moore HIMSELF through MoveOn.Org and Soros can be linked to the Saudis. Moore tampered with newpaper headlines to create the false impression that an editorial "Latest Recount Shows Gore Won" was an actual headline. The newspaper cited asked for an apology, the Moore legal staff called it a "typo." FarenHYPE shows EXACTLY what Bush accomplished those "vacation" days, while the oval office was being remodled... (Moore didn't mention that...did he?) Presidents don't "vacation like normal folks.

I believe very little of the conspiracy theories involving Bush, as most of them are demolished in FarenHYPE. What is especially troubling to me is the footage from Iraq. I'm human. But to say that Iraq was not actively pursuing the capability to one day attack us, and to leave out the fact that Hussien bribed suicide bombers in Palestine by making donations to their families is dishonest and makes pre-war Iraq look as free as America basically. Moore leaves out the genocide against the Kurds, the torture chambers, the child prisons. He makes Iraq look almost like a US ally that we turned on for no reason.

It seemed that Moore stopped just short with following the Marine recruiters that eventually Bush would reinstitute the draft. Actually the draft bill that republicans recently voted down was proposed by a democrat. If the draft returns it will be because "the rich kids aren't serving"...I've already heard several democrats favor it. Kerry's own party wouldn't mind if he did...if it got those damn rich kids in the service.

Moore misrepresented Bush's initial reaction to the news, and actuallly criticized him for STAYING CALM in front of school kids. FarenHYPE points out that he was told by the secret service not to do anything until told where to go. This is the way things work when the secret service is protecting you; they tell you where to go and clear the way before you. The teacher present also reaffirms that Bush did the right thing...and nothing could ahve been accomplished in those 5 minutes anyway. (Moore said 7 minutes...another misrepresentation.) Anyway, you could go on and on correcting his fabrications and overly emotional arguments.

Farenheit 9-11 is propaganda. Moore is a joke, lining his pockets by exploiting soldiers (who show up in FarenHYPE, resenting his hack jobs on their stories) and touring the nation's colleges, making a nice little profit. His detractors show up for free. You could make an expose on Michael Moore, if you wanted to, and it would be just as juicy (if not moreso.)

in fairness
i plan to watch this movie, it finally came to the dollar theater.
after i watch it, i will watch a rebuttal film called fahrenhype-9/11

i will let u know of my thoughts after watching both films.

i am a bush supporter.

db9

very well said iota but i will defer judgement until watching both films.

btw did u watch both films?

db9

Yes, I watched Farenheit and FarenHYPE back to back on DVD. The first loses much of it potency after the rebuttal, and that's puting it nicely. At worst, it looks like propaganda created to influence a presidential election, which is not only pathetic but detestable.

I will admit, though, Moore is a talented filmmaker. Too bad the substance is mostly fabricated dreck. The imagery from Iraq is serious and needs to be addressed. But the fact that some commit war crimes doesn't mean the war is unnecessary.

Iota that was quite a comment. That is exactly what I was looking for so thank you. I didn't even know there was another film. I need to check that out.

I am a non-Bush supporter because I am not republican although I wouldn't say I love Kerry either.

Less than a month to go...

FarenHYPE's creator Dick Morris makes a good comment. "Vote for Bush or Kerry, I don't care, that's not what this is about...but know the truth about this film." It features politicians from both parties making the case against Moore. Remember...you don't have to be republican to dislike propaganda :wink:

What makes me the most angry is that Moore's lies will probably have an effect on the outcome of the election.

I thought blatantly lying about politicians was against the law? I thought we put this immature mud-slinging behind us a long time ago.

You know what? If it has an effect, then so be it. Just seeing the venom that is continuously spouted against a sitting president with absolutely no regard for the office is just sickening. I've vowed that for the sake of this nation, if Kerry is elected, even though I am dissappointed, I will honor the office he holds, pray for him and wish him the best. I just hope that more people, whatever the outcome, can put aside partisan emotions and unite as a nation. If I can do it under Kerry, democrats can do it under Bush. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing in a respectful way, but calling him a war-criminal, a betrayer...etc...it's just venomous rhetoric. Saying he lied because he acted on faulty information is not logical and is propaganda. Disagree on policies, but this level of personal attacks will destroy this nation by making us hate each other. Both sides are to blame - but let's be better than either when the results come back election night, whoever it is. And start over. Whoever the next president is - he is not worse than our enemies. Let's not treat him like them.

Sorry for the rant, but seeing the images of Bush's limo getting pelted by eggs on his inaguration was disturbing. I would be just as disturbed if it happened to Kerry, or any president.

I wouldn't trust Michael Moore farther than I could throw him.

speedracer said:
I wouldn't trust Michael Moore farther than I could throw him.

Which isn't far. He's a fat man.

And I agree with you iota, while I don't like Kerry much, I'd never outright disrespect him like alot of people like to do to Bush.

I'm not a Bush supporter but I'm not going to watch Moore's film. I saw a spot on TV for the film, where Moore was saying "There is no terrorist threat", and then I knew right away that I wasn't going to find that film very credible.

Documentaries should not be propaganda. Anyway, down with Bush. Vote Kerry. Screw Moore.

I agree.
I'm strong anti-Bush administration.
I also think the dumbing down and over politicising of the media is terrible, and really very sad.
I think Fox News is just attrocious.
I think Fahrenheit is the equivalent on the opposite side of the political spectrum.

If you don't like Fox News, you have to not like Fahrenheit. I think it's that simple.

Interesting, I just watched it this week. Based on the reading I have done before hand, I knew a lot of what Moore was trying to get across. the problem is, because of my readings, I knew how the film was worded and edited to give the wrong impression of things.

In fairness, I spent a sleepless night after watching the second half of the film. The footage he put in of the soldiers on patrols, and in the hospital was quite moving. I think it is necessary for supporters of the war to see it, because our news is so sanitized, we do not get the full picture.

I agree fully with Dreadsox, war is so sanitized by mass media outlets it is like a freaking video game. Al Jazeera etc. does provide a very important part in that it shows the kids with their brains blown out across a street and the utter death and destruction wrought by war. One must balance this suffering with that caused by the regime itself and then it can become apparent which is the lesser of two evils.

I don't like Bush and i don't like Moore for the same reasons.
Both try to manipulate the masses by quoting facts incomplete and add some "facts" (we can't call them lies today because we can't proof that they should know it better).

Shame on both of them

I think that you are right that either winner of the election should be honored. I would not be the one throwing eggs at his car that's for sure. However, I remember when the planes hit the tower and President or not (waiting for secret service or not) I don't agree with just sitting there. I live in NY and that was the most devestating thing I've ever seen. Bush just sat there and had a straight face while NYC was devestated. However, I think when it did happen I was happy Bush was president I think he handled the catastrophe in NY well after the attack. Hillary Clinton is a whole other story.

youtwohearts said:
I think that you are right that either winner of the election should be honored. I would not be the one throwing eggs at his car that's for sure. However, I remember when the planes hit the tower and President or not (waiting for secret service or not) I don't agree with just sitting there. I live in NY and that was the most devestating thing I've ever seen. Bush just sat there and had a straight face while NYC was devestated. However, I think when it did happen I was happy Bush was president I think he handled the catastrophe in NY well after the attack. Hillary Clinton is a whole other story.

I think that's what the most damning about Moore's movie -- when he stands back and lets the story tell itself. The way he portrayed 9/11 made me cray -- its amazing how emotional hearing the sounds were without video. And Bush sitting there in that classroom made me so mad. In those seven minutes, I evacuated my building, tried in vain to call my parents and heard people screaming "Oh my God! They're jumping!" as I stood on the street. As a president, you have to scare a few kids to go into action against terrorists. That scene disgusted me.

Same with the scene when the Black Caucus on the floor of the Congress and Gore having to knock every one of them down and let Bush's victory go through. I wouldn't have tossed eggs either but you have to remember how angry a mjority of the country was at the time knowing the guy they voted for lost because the Supreme Court voted along party lines -- and both sides of the Court were guilty of this. And yes, same with the war footage and seeing a mother whose son has died. This woman was standing in front of the White House saying to a protester "My son died." and someone came up to her and said "Alot of people have died." as if this mother's sacrifice was not a big deal.

Moore is a propagandist and sometimes you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. But the best parts of this movie are the parts where he says nothing. The second half of the movie shows what's really going on in Iraq -- families dead, soldiers dead, bombs going off. That's the reality of war and it's not being shown anywhere else.

I would recommend watching Fahrenheit, don't swallow it word for word but watch it.

The thing is, Sharky, Moore doesn't just let the story tell itself. Moore edits everything a certain way to achieve his objective, not to show things "as they are." If he did, he could have shown the secret service telling Bush from off-camera not to do anything. Or explained the way the secret service works. If Bush would have jumped up with not only children but the entire country watching, there would have been much more hysteria that morning. There was nothing he could have done in 5 minutes anyway. Moore's snide little voice-overs are far from objective as well.

I agree with the whole black caucus thing...but you can blame the senate for that, Bush wasn't responsible. Blame Kerry and Edwards for not signing any of their petitions.

And while what Moore shows from Iraq is disturbing, his point seems to be that people dying makes the war invalid. The sad truth is that people die in every war. We aren't the ones hiding behind civilians and beheading civilians. We aren't targeting civilians. Our enemy blows us up and themselves up; they don't care as long as somebody dies. We as a whole are not like that. Moore's view of this behavior being widespread will turn this into another Vietnam where his ilk spit on the soldiers when they come home and call them war criminals for political (or in Moore's case financial) gain. That is definately the picture he is painting with his propaganda.

Klaus said:
I don't like Bush and i don't like Moore for the same reasons.
Both try to manipulate the masses by quoting facts incomplete and add some "facts" (we can't call them lies today because we can't proof that they should know it better).

Shame on both of them

You have to include Kerry. He's drunk on Moore's Kool-Aid.

iota said:
You know what? If it has an effect, then so be it. Just seeing the venom that is continuously spouted against a sitting president with absolutely no regard for the office is just sickening. I've vowed that for the sake of this nation, if Kerry is elected, even though I am dissappointed, I will honor the office he holds, pray for him and wish him the best. I just hope that more people, whatever the outcome, can put aside partisan emotions and unite as a nation. If I can do it under Kerry, democrats can do it under Bush. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing in a respectful way, but calling him a war-criminal, a betrayer...etc...it's just venomous rhetoric. Saying he lied because he acted on faulty information is not logical and is propaganda. Disagree on policies, but this level of personal attacks will destroy this nation by making us hate each other. Both sides are to blame - but let's be better than either when the results come back election night, whoever it is. And start over. Whoever the next president is - he is not worse than our enemies. Let's not treat him like them.

Damn, Iota...I agree 100%

As much as I don't want Kerry to win, if he does, I would repect him for the office he held. It is too bad that partisan politics cause some people to say otherwise.

I heard about FahrenHYPE. There are several reasons I didn't want to watch Moore's movie, but with a rebuttal-film such as this, I may have to watch both back-to-back.

iota said:
And while what Moore shows from Iraq is disturbing, his point seems to be that people dying makes the war invalid. The sad truth is that people die in every war. We aren't the ones hiding behind civilians and beheading civilians. We aren't targeting civilians. Our enemy blows us up and themselves up; they don't care as long as somebody dies. We as a whole are not like that. Moore's view of this behavior being widespread will turn this into another Vietnam where his ilk spit on the soldiers when they come home and call them war criminals for political (or in Moore's case financial) gain. That is definately the picture he is painting with his propaganda.

But I have never seen that footage on the local news. They played stuff like that during Vietnam, which motivatived us to get out, but we never see that here. Everything is so sensitized, no coffins with flags, no dead bodies. Most of those Abu Graiab pictures never ran on the front page of a newspaper -- they were in an intellectual magazine -- The New Yorker -- that most people don't read. [but should, I love my subscription].

While a lot of the movie is clever editing, you really can't deny Bush's relationship with the Bin Laden family; it's too well documented.

THAT, to me, speaks the loudest about how "legitimate" Bush is.

Back
Top Bottom