Just saw Fahrenheit 9/11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:47 AM
Just saw Fahrenheit 9/11

I know what non-Bush supporters would say to the film because I am one. Although I'd like to hear their thoughts. I'd especially be interested in thoughts from people that support Bush.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
War Child

There's a DVD out called farenHYPE 9/11 by Dick Morris that disproves quite a bit of Moore's assertions and basically makes the film look like propaganda.

Moore links the Bush clan to the Saudis through the Carlyle group. He leaves out the fact that George Soros (sp?) also made millions through Carlyle, and using Moore's own conspiracy criteria, Moore HIMSELF through MoveOn.Org and Soros can be linked to the Saudis. Moore tampered with newpaper headlines to create the false impression that an editorial "Latest Recount Shows Gore Won" was an actual headline. The newspaper cited asked for an apology, the Moore legal staff called it a "typo." FarenHYPE shows EXACTLY what Bush accomplished those "vacation" days, while the oval office was being remodled... (Moore didn't mention that...did he?) Presidents don't "vacation like normal folks.

I believe very little of the conspiracy theories involving Bush, as most of them are demolished in FarenHYPE. What is especially troubling to me is the footage from Iraq. I'm human. But to say that Iraq was not actively pursuing the capability to one day attack us, and to leave out the fact that Hussien bribed suicide bombers in Palestine by making donations to their families is dishonest and makes pre-war Iraq look as free as America basically. Moore leaves out the genocide against the Kurds, the torture chambers, the child prisons. He makes Iraq look almost like a US ally that we turned on for no reason.

It seemed that Moore stopped just short with following the Marine recruiters that eventually Bush would reinstitute the draft. Actually the draft bill that republicans recently voted down was proposed by a democrat. If the draft returns it will be because "the rich kids aren't serving"...I've already heard several democrats favor it. Kerry's own party wouldn't mind if he did...if it got those damn rich kids in the service.

Moore misrepresented Bush's initial reaction to the news, and actuallly criticized him for STAYING CALM in front of school kids. FarenHYPE points out that he was told by the secret service not to do anything until told where to go. This is the way things work when the secret service is protecting you; they tell you where to go and clear the way before you. The teacher present also reaffirms that Bush did the right thing...and nothing could ahve been accomplished in those 5 minutes anyway. (Moore said 7 minutes...another misrepresentation.) Anyway, you could go on and on correcting his fabrications and overly emotional arguments.

Farenheit 9-11 is propaganda. Moore is a joke, lining his pockets by exploiting soldiers (who show up in FarenHYPE, resenting his hack jobs on their stories) and touring the nation's colleges, making a nice little profit. His detractors show up for free. You could make an expose on Michael Moore, if you wanted to, and it would be just as juicy (if not moreso.)

Old 10-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:47 PM
in fairness
i plan to watch this movie, it finally came to the dollar theater.
after i watch it, i will watch a rebuttal film called fahrenhype-9/11

i will let u know of my thoughts after watching both films.

i am a bush supporter.

db9
Old 10-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:47 PM
very well said iota but i will defer judgement until watching both films.

btw did u watch both films?

db9
Old 10-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
War Child

Yes, I watched Farenheit and FarenHYPE back to back on DVD. The first loses much of it potency after the rebuttal, and that's puting it nicely. At worst, it looks like propaganda created to influence a presidential election, which is not only pathetic but detestable.

I will admit, though, Moore is a talented filmmaker. Too bad the substance is mostly fabricated dreck. The imagery from Iraq is serious and needs to be addressed. But the fact that some commit war crimes doesn't mean the war is unnecessary.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
New Yorker

Iota that was quite a comment. That is exactly what I was looking for so thank you. I didn't even know there was another film. I need to check that out.

I am a non-Bush supporter because I am not republican although I wouldn't say I love Kerry either.

Less than a month to go...
Old 10-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
War Child

FarenHYPE's creator Dick Morris makes a good comment. "Vote for Bush or Kerry, I don't care, that's not what this is about...but know the truth about this film." It features politicians from both parties making the case against Moore. Remember...you don't have to be republican to dislike propaganda
Old 10-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What makes me the most angry is that Moore's lies will probably have an effect on the outcome of the election.

I thought blatantly lying about politicians was against the law? I thought we put this immature mud-slinging behind us a long time ago.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
War Child

You know what? If it has an effect, then so be it. Just seeing the venom that is continuously spouted against a sitting president with absolutely no regard for the office is just sickening. I've vowed that for the sake of this nation, if Kerry is elected, even though I am dissappointed, I will honor the office he holds, pray for him and wish him the best. I just hope that more people, whatever the outcome, can put aside partisan emotions and unite as a nation. If I can do it under Kerry, democrats can do it under Bush. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing in a respectful way, but calling him a war-criminal, a betrayer...etc...it's just venomous rhetoric. Saying he lied because he acted on faulty information is not logical and is propaganda. Disagree on policies, but this level of personal attacks will destroy this nation by making us hate each other. Both sides are to blame - but let's be better than either when the results come back election night, whoever it is. And start over. Whoever the next president is - he is not worse than our enemies. Let's not treat him like them.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
War Child

Sorry for the rant, but seeing the images of Bush's limo getting pelted by eggs on his inaguration was disturbing. I would be just as disturbed if it happened to Kerry, or any president.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:47 PM
I think a better documentary to watch is Control Room.

foray
Old 10-10-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:47 PM
I wouldn't trust Michael Moore farther than I could throw him.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
I wouldn't trust Michael Moore farther than I could throw him.
Which isn't far. He's a fat man.

And I agree with you iota, while I don't like Kerry much, I'd never outright disrespect him like alot of people like to do to Bush.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Which isn't far. He's a fat man.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #15
War Child

I'm not a Bush supporter but I'm not going to watch Moore's film. I saw a spot on TV for the film, where Moore was saying "There is no terrorist threat", and then I knew right away that I wasn't going to find that film very credible.

Documentaries should not be propaganda. Anyway, down with Bush. Vote Kerry. Screw Moore.