Just another day for Anglo-American imperialism in the Middle East - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Just another day for Anglo-American imperialism in the Middle East

British soldiers accused of sickening sex assault on Iraqi boy, 14 - Home News, UK - The Independent



(WARNING: LINK CONTAINS DESCRIPTION OF VIOLENT CHILD ABUSE ALLEGEDLY COMMITTED BY BRIT SOLDIERS)

It should be noted that this incident allegedly took place FIVE YEARS AGO, yet only now comes to light.
__________________

financeguy is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Wasnt a nice compo packed agreed only last week for cases like these by the MOD ?
__________________

vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Wasnt a nice compo packed agreed only last week for cases like these by the MOD ?
Are you suggesting that these allegations are being made purely to avail of compensation?
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Are you suggesting that these allegations are being made purely to avail of compensation?
These allegations are no more factual at this moment than fictitious.

I much rather the Justice system be set in motion than to say " OMG rape in the british ranks !!!! " which the press will be screaming about.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
These allegations are no more factual at this moment than fictitious.

I much rather the Justice system be set in motion than to say " OMG rape in the british ranks !!!! " which the press will be screaming about.
Would you prefer, then, that the press did not report these allegations?
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Would you prefer, then, that the press did not report these allegations?
Much rather they reported " allegations have been made... " than " British soldiers take part in orgy.. "
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Actually no i lie, i much rather rape allegations be kept private until the verdict of Judge and Jury, especially if names are given.

Allegations of rape are enough to destory someone's career and even life, guilty or not guilty.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
What about allegations of murder? Should those be kept private too? Allegations of fraud? Sexual abuse? Kidnapping?
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Lets be honest, Allegations of rape are the most damaging. Any allegation should be kept private, trial by Judge and Jury not Press and Public.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Lets be honest, Allegations of rape are the most damaging. Any allegation should be kept private, trial by Judge and Jury not Press and Public.
They are more damaging than allegations of having murdered a child?
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
There must be scientific proof or reason to suspect someone of murder. Rape is someone's account which can either be god's honest truth or a work of fiction. So i would say Rape is still more damaging.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
There must be scientific proof or reason to suspect someone of murder. Rape is someone's account
Someone's account?

So you dismiss evidence obtained from rape kits (semen, other DNA), gynecological exams, etc? That's someone's "account"?
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Someone's account?

So you dismiss evidence obtained from rape kits (semen, other DNA), gynecological exams, etc? That's someone's "account"?
The evidence obtained does not automatically prove a rape took place, the womens statement largely determines if it was a consensual sexual encounter or something more sinister. A women for example could have alteria motives for calling rape, a drunken one night stand threatens to ruin her relationship. As soon as an alleged victim cries wolf the lynch mob are out in full force.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
A women for example could have alteria motives for calling rape, a drunken one night stand threatens to ruin her relationship.
I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.
If that exam was so conclusive why do such cases make it to court and get thrown out ?
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
If that exam was so conclusive why do such cases make it to court and get thrown out ?
Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?

Quote:
I think you need to read up on this a lot more
Touché ?

Thrown out normally means the case collapses due to lack of evidence. If gynecological examinations are so conclusive why do innocent men get brought up infront of a judge with their name getting dragged through the mud ?
vaz02 is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.

Actually, there are a number of recent cases of high profile male celebrities being falsely accused of rape.

You are surely not claiming that there has never been a false claim of rape made ever?

What this has to due with the topic of Anglo-American imperialism, however, I have no idea.
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 17,369
Local Time: 12:40 AM
I'm certainly not suggesting that. But vaz02's comments make it seem like he feels that we should always operate on an assumption of suspicion when there are allegations of rape that goes beyond the normal "innocent until proven guilty", and that I disagree with. There is a huge body of literature showing that this type of thought is exactly what prevented women from coming forward to report sexual assault for decades. Even in liberal democracies like Canada, up until 25 years ago, it was perfectly relevant to bring up the woman's sexual history and to essentially put her on trial when she made an allegation of rape. Our courts have certainly moved away from this and expressly reject such means of discrediting witnesses, because there is great social value in having women come forward and report this type of crime.

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.
anitram is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.
Actually, there are very good reasons for keeping the identity of both accused and accuser anonymous in such cases. As I said, I view this debate as a sidetrack - the identities of the soldiers accused of the sexual assault in this case have not been made public, and rightly so.
__________________

financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×