Just another day for Anglo-American imperialism in the Middle East

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasnt a nice compo packed agreed only last week for cases like these by the MOD ?

Are you suggesting that these allegations are being made purely to avail of compensation?

These allegations are no more factual at this moment than fictitious.

I much rather the Justice system be set in motion than to say " OMG rape in the british ranks !!!! " which the press will be screaming about.

These allegations are no more factual at this moment than fictitious.

I much rather the Justice system be set in motion than to say " OMG rape in the british ranks !!!! " which the press will be screaming about.

Would you prefer, then, that the press did not report these allegations?

Actually no i lie, i much rather rape allegations be kept private until the verdict of Judge and Jury, especially if names are given.

Allegations of rape are enough to destory someone's career and even life, guilty or not guilty.

What about allegations of murder? Should those be kept private too? Allegations of fraud? Sexual abuse? Kidnapping?

Lets be honest, Allegations of rape are the most damaging. Any allegation should be kept private, trial by Judge and Jury not Press and Public.

Lets be honest, Allegations of rape are the most damaging. Any allegation should be kept private, trial by Judge and Jury not Press and Public.

They are more damaging than allegations of having murdered a child?

There must be scientific proof or reason to suspect someone of murder. Rape is someone's account which can either be god's honest truth or a work of fiction. So i would say Rape is still more damaging.

There must be scientific proof or reason to suspect someone of murder. Rape is someone's account

Someone's account?

So you dismiss evidence obtained from rape kits (semen, other DNA), gynecological exams, etc? That's someone's "account"?

Someone's account?

So you dismiss evidence obtained from rape kits (semen, other DNA), gynecological exams, etc? That's someone's "account"?

The evidence obtained does not automatically prove a rape took place, the womens statement largely determines if it was a consensual sexual encounter or something more sinister. A women for example could have alteria motives for calling rape, a drunken one night stand threatens to ruin her relationship. As soon as an alleged victim cries wolf the lynch mob are out in full force.

A women for example could have alteria motives for calling rape, a drunken one night stand threatens to ruin her relationship.

I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.

If that exam was so conclusive why do such cases make it to court and get thrown out ?

If that exam was so conclusive why do such cases make it to court and get thrown out ?

Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?

Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?

I think you need to read up on this a lot more

Touché ?

Thrown out normally means the case collapses due to lack of evidence. If gynecological examinations are so conclusive why do innocent men get brought up infront of a judge with their name getting dragged through the mud ?

Actually, there are a number of recent cases of high profile male celebrities being falsely accused of rape.

You are surely not claiming that there has never been a false claim of rape made ever?

What this has to due with the topic of Anglo-American imperialism, however, I have no idea.

I'm certainly not suggesting that. But vaz02's comments make it seem like he feels that we should always operate on an assumption of suspicion when there are allegations of rape that goes beyond the normal "innocent until proven guilty", and that I disagree with. There is a huge body of literature showing that this type of thought is exactly what prevented women from coming forward to report sexual assault for decades. Even in liberal democracies like Canada, up until 25 years ago, it was perfectly relevant to bring up the woman's sexual history and to essentially put her on trial when she made an allegation of rape. Our courts have certainly moved away from this and expressly reject such means of discrediting witnesses, because there is great social value in having women come forward and report this type of crime.

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.

Actually, there are very good reasons for keeping the identity of both accused and accuser anonymous in such cases. As I said, I view this debate as a sidetrack - the identities of the soldiers accused of the sexual assault in this case have not been made public, and rightly so.

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime.

I never said that. All i said is allegations of any kind especially rape are damaging. Stop reading into stuff that is not there.

Who's interest would it be in to make allegations such as rape public anyway apart from the blood thirsty media ? Also " prominent minority view" ? according to who, you ?

The Durham rape case of false accusation, media smearing and in the long run exoneration would be an example. I think that such events are the negative consequence of the broadly positive proactive approach to allegations of rape, of course as with most things, more needs to be done.

Actually, there are very good reasons for keeping the identity of both accused and accuser anonymous in such cases. As I said, I view this debate as a sidetrack - the identities of the soldiers accused of the sexual assault in this case have not been made public, and rightly so.

And I agree with you that they should not be publicized at this point.

But I disagree with vaz02 that the story shouldn't be told at all (presumably until a conviction is entered) because rape is a crime that carries with it a certain stigma.

Back
Top Bottom