Just another day for Anglo-American imperialism in the Middle East - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
If that exam was so conclusive why do such cases make it to court and get thrown out ?
Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Get thrown out? What does that mean, exactly?

Can you link me to a study indicating that these cases routinely get dismissed for a lack of evidence?

Quote:
I think you need to read up on this a lot more
Touché ?

Thrown out normally means the case collapses due to lack of evidence. If gynecological examinations are so conclusive why do innocent men get brought up infront of a judge with their name getting dragged through the mud ?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.

Actually, there are a number of recent cases of high profile male celebrities being falsely accused of rape.

You are surely not claiming that there has never been a false claim of rape made ever?

What this has to due with the topic of Anglo-American imperialism, however, I have no idea.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I'm certainly not suggesting that. But vaz02's comments make it seem like he feels that we should always operate on an assumption of suspicion when there are allegations of rape that goes beyond the normal "innocent until proven guilty", and that I disagree with. There is a huge body of literature showing that this type of thought is exactly what prevented women from coming forward to report sexual assault for decades. Even in liberal democracies like Canada, up until 25 years ago, it was perfectly relevant to bring up the woman's sexual history and to essentially put her on trial when she made an allegation of rape. Our courts have certainly moved away from this and expressly reject such means of discrediting witnesses, because there is great social value in having women come forward and report this type of crime.

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime. His thinking doesn't surprise me, as it's still unfortunately a prominent minority view.
Actually, there are very good reasons for keeping the identity of both accused and accuser anonymous in such cases. As I said, I view this debate as a sidetrack - the identities of the soldiers accused of the sexual assault in this case have not been made public, and rightly so.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:

As to why this is brought up on this topic - well, it's vaz02 who seems to think that there should be special allowances made for those who are accused of rape; allowances that are not made for any other allegation of any other crime.
I never said that. All i said is allegations of any kind especially rape are damaging. Stop reading into stuff that is not there.

Who's interest would it be in to make allegations such as rape public anyway apart from the blood thirsty media ? Also " prominent minority view" ? according to who, you ?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
I don't even know what to say to that.

And a gynecological exam can most certainly be indicative of rape - tearing, bruising, the woman having collected skin under fingernails from fighting back, etc, etc. I think you need to read up on this a lot more.
The Durham rape case of false accusation, media smearing and in the long run exoneration would be an example. I think that such events are the negative consequence of the broadly positive proactive approach to allegations of rape, of course as with most things, more needs to be done.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Actually, there are very good reasons for keeping the identity of both accused and accuser anonymous in such cases. As I said, I view this debate as a sidetrack - the identities of the soldiers accused of the sexual assault in this case have not been made public, and rightly so.
And I agree with you that they should not be publicized at this point.

But I disagree with vaz02 that the story shouldn't be told at all (presumably until a conviction is entered) because rape is a crime that carries with it a certain stigma.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Anglo-American imperialism
You love saying that don't you?