Just a thought:Bono in politics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flybabe

Blue Crack Addict
If he wanted to would Bono make a presidential candidate,would he make the world better?revise a revolution?
What do you think,and don`t make this thread junk people,please it is just for thought...

I really, really, REALLY hope he never goes into politics.

To run for Presidency in the United States he would need to be a US citizen.

He could run for Irish President but it probably would not interest him as it is a purely ceremonial role and the real power rests in the executive and legislature.

Should Bono run for Irish President, I very much hope and believe that the electorate would reject him, given that he is an imperialist lickspittle.

I mean hell no I don`t want him as president he makes to good of music,I was just thinking that if he did,would he make a difference?

I think he would be laughed at more than he would be taken seriously. I love the man, but I wouldn't want him as president. Besides, he doesnt want to move to a smaller house.

flybabe said:
I mean hell no I don`t want him as president he makes to good of music,I was just thinking that if he did,would he make a difference?

Absolutely not.

The system and its idiosyncracies and especially its complacency are much greater than one man.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Like Bush...

No.

Also, I think people like Bono and think he is cool for what he does only because he doesnt have to be doing it. He's a rock star and could be doing millions of other things. I don't think people would have the same fondness for him if his advocacy became his full-time job.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You don't think Bush gets laughed at more than he gets taken seriously? Even his voters are laughing at him...

Aside from the number of people who originally voted for him who dont like him anymore, I believe the people who are laughing at him are the people who would never take him (or probably any politician) seriously anyway. That group probably consists of many people who hate government no matter who is in charge, and loathes the idea of a "President of the United States." I'm not putting you in that group, BVS (though, I dont know, you might be).

2861U2 said:

Aside from the number of people who originally voted for him who dont like him anymore, I believe the people who are laughing at him are the people who would never take him (or probably any politician) seriously anyway. That group probably consists of many people who hate government no matter who is in charge, and loathes the idea of a "President of the United States."

Well I think he's laughable (but I can't laugh, it's too sad and troubling-well other than when he just looks personally ridiculous) and I wouldn't put myself in any of those categories.

2861U2 said:

Aside from the number of people who originally voted for him who dont like him anymore, I believe the people who are laughing at him are the people who would never take him (or probably any politician) seriously anyway. That group probably consists of many people who hate government no matter who is in charge, and loathes the idea of a "President of the United States."

Um, no, it's people who think HE is a complete moron, and that has nothing to do with their views of the government, and all to do with the fact he actually is a moron.

2861U2 said:

That group probably consists of many people who hate government no matter who is in charge, and loathes the idea of a "President of the United States."

That's a very narrow and ignorant statement.:shame:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's a very narrow and ignorant statement.:shame:

Fair enough, perhaps I shouldnt have said "many", but I'm sure that SOME people who find President Bush laughable are the same people who find any government laughable. Also, SOME who find President Bush laughable dont know anything about his presidency or his policies, but hear Jon Stewart make a joke about him and decide they dont need to do any research, and simply write Bush off.

Back to the topic, I cant imagine who would be in Bono's cabinet. Geldof as VP?

Last edited:
Bono would be annoying on an even larger scale. He never shuts up as it is. I know he is viewed as a knight in shining armour to his flock of loyal music fans, but he'd make a piss-poor politician. The idea makes me cringe. So, no. I think he'd be awful as president or even local MP.

Personally, I'd suggest Bono to become a community worker, taking jobs that involves a lot of kids.:wink:

Politician? No way.

No way. Bono himself has often said he doesn't want to be a politician. He is not interested in party politics. The work he is doing is beyond party politics, and that's what he is good at. I absolutly don't see Bono running for any political office. And I hope he won't.

Actually, I recall an interview when this subject came up, and Edge remarked that he could easily imagine, many years from now, Bono becoming a truly great Mayor of Dublin.

Remember when there was rumours that one of the political parties in Ireland wanted Ali to run as their candidate? I think Bono would make a great First Husband (or whatever it is they call them). :wink:

financeguy said:
To run for Presidency in the United States he would need to be a US citizen.

Also, he would need to have been born in the United States. This is a constitutional requirement for the Presidency.

Republicans have talked about changing this rule, in order to allow Arnold Schwarzenegger to run, but it would require a Constitutional amendment, which is very rare and tricky to do.

I don't want Bono in politics. He wouldn't be able to do the things he's doing now to make the world a better place to live in.

Back
Top Bottom