Just a day in the life of a racist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A state representative forwarded an e-mail to fellow lawmakers that claimed, ``Two things made this country great: White men & Christianity.''
Rep. Don Davis, a white Republican, said he received the letter Friday and forwarded it to every member of the state House and Senate. He said he didn't consider the letter racist.

``I just put it out for information. People can read into it whatever they want to,'' Davis said.

``There's a lot of it that's truth, the way I see it,'' Davis said. ``Who came to this country first - the white man, didn't he? That's who made this country great.''

The letter angered other lawmakers who considered it offensive and racist.

``It absolutely destroys the racial harmony that we are trying to foster in this state and in this nation,'' said Rep. William Wainwright, vice chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus.

Rep. Ron Sutton, the only American Indian in the General Assembly, said he had no use for such sentiments in the Statehouse. ``It just shows his white-supremacist, Gestapo mentality,'' Sutton said.

The address says the e-mail was sent to Davis from an Internet site called God's Order Affirmed in Love.

``Two things made this country great: White men & Christianity,'' the letter says. ``Every problem that has arrisen (sic) can be directly traced back to our departure from God's Law and the disenfranchisement of White men.''

And people thought Jesse Helms' legacy wouldn't last...

------------------
o lijepa
o draga
o slatka
slobodo

[This message has been edited by anitram (edited 10-28-2001).]

Well, ehh, hmm, damned now i need to blaim my ancestors for creating America.

This sucks,.....

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 10-28-2001).]

WHITE MEN + BURNING CROSSES = KKK of AmeriKKKa

See what Rep. Davis would say to THAT!

------------------
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on." - Stairway to Heaven, Zoso: Led Zeppelin

Originally posted by Rono:
Well, ehh, hmm, damned now i need to blaim my ancestors for creating America.

This sucks,.....

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 10-28-2001).]

I'm just happy to know my ancestors are all female.
wink.gif

this guy's dumber than the moose up here in new hampshire.

seriously, that type of comment won't fly. I'm sure he'll be out on his ass come next election.

Someone needs to clue him in...the Native Americans were doing just fine before we got here.....they sure as hell took better care of the earth than we ever will.

The thing that pisses me off at white racists is the fact that the white race did more bad things than any other.

Just think:
- who invented slavery?
- who killed millions of Indians in North and South America? (either by weapons or by bringing new, unknown diseases)
- who promotes racism the most?

White people.

The fact is the white race got lucky and got to the technology that enabled it spreading across the world first. Also, the white race got lucky that it lives in the part of the world easiest to manipulate for agriculture and the mildest climate etc...it has NOTHING to do with it being any better than other races. It was pure coincidence.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-01-2001).]

KILL THOSE RACIST WHITE ASSHOLES!!!

rolleyes.gif

U2girl, many different races have enslaved other people, white/black/asian/indian you name it. You can't prove that anyone race 'invented' it. And you can't measure racism, black people can be just as racist as white people. Ever heard of the Black panthers? Louis Farakahn?

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
KILL THOSE RACIST WHITE ASSHOLES!!!

rolleyes.gif

U2girl, many different races have enslaved other people, white/black/asian/indian you name it. You can't prove that anyone race 'invented' it. And you can't measure racism, black people can be just as racist as white people. Ever heard of the Black panthers? Louis Farakahn?

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

True, but white race used slavery more massively than other races. US even had a war to free slaves!
And, gee, don't you think i know there are racists among black people too?
rolleyes.gif

Why do you think they became racists? Because of the way white racists treated black people.

It's true-white race did/does more dirty things than other races.

Originally posted by U2girl:
True, but white race used slavery more massively than other races. US even had a war to free slaves!

Not entirely true...if I remember correctly, most of the West's slaves were bought from *black* slaveholders in Africa.

Ah yes...the greatest of all generalizations and cop-outs in history: "race." Racists of all shapes and forms are, perhaps, the most pathetic, because, for some reason, people are categorized simply by skin color.

Now let's have a token melon history lesson here (if only the high schools had done their job!). Slavery is extremely old. It's even mentioned in the Bible in a few places (mostly supportive of it, ironic enough). That, itself, should say that this isn't a "white phenomena," as the world of the Bible was not Caucasian (don't let those white Jesus statues fool you
tongue.gif
). Slavery is probably as old as man itself, as all governments were essentially autocratic, whether it be at the tribal level or at an imperial level. Hence, when you have all the power, it's much easier to force your subjects to do things they don't want to. What if you don't have enough subjects? You conquer your enemies and add them to your "work force." This was obviously the preferred way of doing things in everywhere from ancient Egypt to the Roman Empire to the more sophisticated form of slavery, feudalism.

Obviously, now, the point of contention here is likely the African slave trade of the 1600s to the 1800s. This was imported to the U.S. by the Dutch--I guess you can say, "white people." But it's not a simple case of the Dutch traders stealing people in Africa. Slavery in Africa was extremely common, as warring tribes would often conquer their enemies, only to enslave them. To think that Africa was immune to this practice is an incredible fallacy. So, quite often, the Dutch traders would come in to these African empires and trade goods for slaves. The African imperial leaders, seeing an opportunity for wealth, consented; hence, in many instances, these corrupt empires sold their own people away. To be fair, though, the Dutch often did kidnap Africans in addition to their "legally" traded slaves.

I think I've made my point clear here, but I'll make a quick synopsis:

1) labelling people by their race is stupid, because it wasn't "white people" who brought in the African slave trade, it was the Dutch, or, better specifically, corrupt Dutch businessmen using the Bible as justification for their actions (remember how I said the Bible supported slavery?).

2) slavery was not invented by white people, and surely was not used exclusively by white people, as it was used in Asian, Middle Eastern, and even African cultures as a convenient way to take out enemies and increase their workforce.

3) white people have been enslaved as well, as the Romans often enslaved the European "barbarians" as well, not to mention the sophisticated form of slavery, feudalism, which lasted well over 1000 years and wasn't even abolished in Russia until around the 1850s.

4) nothing is as simple as it seems, and that does include slavery.

Any comments?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Johnny Swallow, Speedracer, and Melon summed it all up best here. Something else I learned in college from a "revisionist-revisionist" history professor: there were freedmen (former slaves) in the Louisiana Territory who eventually owned plantations and, yes, even their OWN slaves. But this was in Louisiana which had a more liberal slave system influenced by that of the French.

The sad thing is that slavery still exists in the African nations of Sudan, Nigeria and Mauritania, but we are not supposed to criticize it since it is part of the "culture."

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by melon:
Any comments?

Yes. Melon, you seem to be justifying slavery and/or racial prejudice. The fact that whites may have been enslaved at various times throughout history does not in any way justify the racism towards people of color that exists in America today.

I dont think he was ever defending slavery- rather he was attacking the contention that the concept of slavery was the invention of Western/White society. What he did point out was that certain parts of the Bible, particularly the Old Testament do appear to support the concept...

I also applaud anyone who sees feudalism as just another mode of slavery- having read recently about Napoleon's 1812 Invasion of Russia I cannot think of the system any other way...

Originally posted by brettig:
I dont think he was ever defending slavery- rather he was attacking the contention that the concept of slavery was the invention of Western/White society.

Point well taken. I realize that melon's purpose was (at least partially) to rebut U2girl's somewhat rash comments but within the context of this thread, which began with the quotes of the ethnocentric (and in my view, ignorant) Rep. Davis, my feeling is that melon's comments could actually be taken as a defense of people like Davis.

If we're talking about America and we're talking about today, i.e. 2001, then we've got to talk about the fact that whites still hold the balance of power in this country.

Originally posted by melon:
Slavery is probably as old as man itself, as all governments were essentially autocratic, whether it be at the tribal level or at an imperial level. Hence, when you have all the power, it's much easier to force your subjects to do things they don't want to. What if you don't have enough subjects? You conquer your enemies and add them to your "work force." This was obviously the preferred way of doing things in everywhere from ancient Egypt to the Roman Empire to the more sophisticated form of slavery, feudalism.

Obviously, now, the point of contention here is likely the African slave trade of the 1600s to the 1800s. This was imported to the U.S. by the Dutch--I guess you can say, "white people." But it's not a simple case of the Dutch traders stealing people in Africa. Slavery in Africa was extremely common, as warring tribes would often conquer their enemies, only to enslave them. To think that Africa was immune to this practice is an incredible fallacy. So, quite often, the Dutch traders would come in to these African empires and trade goods for slaves. The African imperial leaders, seeing an opportunity for wealth, consented; hence, in many instances, these corrupt empires sold their own people away. To be fair, though, the Dutch often did kidnap Africans in addition to their "legally" traded slaves.

I think I've made my point clear here, but I'll make a quick synopsis:

1) labelling people by their race is stupid, because it wasn't "white people" who brought in the African slave trade, it was the Dutch, or, better specifically, corrupt Dutch businessmen using the Bible as justification for their actions (remember how I said the Bible supported slavery?).

2) slavery was not invented by white people, and surely was not used exclusively by white people, as it was used in Asian, Middle Eastern, and even African cultures as a convenient way to take out enemies and increase their workforce.

3) white people have been enslaved as well, as the Romans often enslaved the European "barbarians" as well, not to mention the sophisticated form of slavery, feudalism, which lasted well over 1000 years and wasn't even abolished in Russia until around the 1850s.

4) nothing is as simple as it seems, and that does include slavery.

Any comments?

Melon

Yes.

It's true that human history is full of battles and conflicts-and in those conflicts winners always took vengeance on losers (using them for slavery, burning down their homes etc...).

Interesting thought: feudalism as a form of slavery? I guess that's one way of looking at it, though when i think of "slavery" usually black people's and Romans's slavery come to mind.

1) Well Dutch people are white, aren't they?

Another thing i was getting at was that the white race has been expanding more than other races. (going into Americas, colonizing Africa-i think in some parts of N. Africa French language is still used quite often)
While doing that, it was very aggresive towards the native people over there, winning eventually with the use of its higher development and/or pressuring people to Christian faith.

This has nothing to do with slavery, but it does have to do with white racism:
let's not forget that Germans were using "arian race is supreme" propaganda to justify what they did to Jews and others, "who had to make place for the supreme race".

I think it's ironic that, of all the races, white people (white racists), claim to be above the rest.

Like i said, it was all about coincidence and luck. No way are whites automatically better than other races. All races are equal: there are good and bad people to be found any- and everywhere in the world.

*Looks down*
------------------
This post brought to you by: Ignorance "It never fails."

AIM: JuanSwallow

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 11-02-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
1) Well Dutch people are white, aren't they?

No.

I'm pink and rosy
smile.gif

Interesting thought: feudalism as a form of slavery? I guess that's one way of looking at it, though when i think of "slavery" usually black people's and Romans's slavery come to mind.

I think I agree with the thought of feudalism as slavery. You mentioned what comes first to your mind when talking about slavery and I don't think you're the only one thinking like that. But like Melon said, slavery is unfortunately more widespread and older than that.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

No, my comments were in rebuttal to U2girl. As for that ignorant son-of-a-bitch Rep. Davis, I hope he is ripped to shreds. "God's Order Affirmed in Love." PLEASE! Apparently, that "order" is in white supremacy to him. May all these so-called "Christians" (who really don't know the first thing about true Christianity) rot in hell. What's sad is that these so-called "Christians" somehow find their way into government, whether it be in the legislatures or the presidency or in influencing the policies of both, and the people are forced to suffer at the hands of these small-minded, reactionary extremists. And who said our politicians were smart?
rolleyes.gif
Any idiot can run our nation, as long as they have the money and the ad campaign to manipulate others.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by pub crawler:
If we're talking about America and we're talking about today, i.e. 2001, then we've got to talk about the fact that whites still hold the balance of power in this country.

That is most certainly a separate issue that I wasn't referring to. And let's get beyond race here. Who holds the balance of power? Wealthy, conservative, "Christian" white men, not "white people."

Comments?

Melon

------------------

Geez, I go to post and there's like a thousand little different face icons to use.. Anywayz, I do think it is extremely important to note that Black Freedmen had slaves of their own, as then it is more of a signal of the times than whites only racists.. Yah, It sucks, that was a bitch of a situation for those involved, but .. and I think I'm not alone in this one.. I think racism is probably equal now.. in present times, between blacks and whites.. There is soo omuch black racism towards whites that it almost makes me sick.. I don't judge anyone on the basis of their skin color, but there are white people who still do, and there are blacks who will talk endless shit, beat up, or just plain 'hate' on whites.. I mean, my little brother and I went to a Cash Money and DMX concert (Rappers).. and the First thing the DJ said was .. 'To All you White Folk... Get the Fuck Out OF Here'.. and everyone lifted the middle finger.. And of course, the rebuttal by blacks is that they're just getting even.. But grow up.. the shit happened, get over it.. we (white americans) on the whole are going to extreme lengghts to just treat people equal.. Though Affirmative Action is teh Most Racist Thing to come out of latest 20th century... And blacks just have to reach back to us (white americans)... Ok.. That probably wasn't right with the thread.. but just reading things like.. WHITE MEN + BURNING CROSSES = KKK of AmeriKKKa.. but let's go MALCOM X + Black Panthers = Kill Whitey.. I mean.. Yah, if we're going to say 'I HATE WHITE RACISTS'.. I think we all have a right to say I HATe BLACK RACISTS .. That's why I don't buy Lauren Hill.. But why I love Dr. Dre and his crew.. His latest tour.. He always spoke of how he wanted to make a show for blacks, whites, asians.. everyone.. Anyways.. I've got to go .. ND Football Irish GUard calls...

That's my mother you're talkin' about sucka!!
Treat her right fool or I'll throw you helluvva far!!

Damn, ma van's fast!!!

Please don't count me among those who say racism is "only a white issue."

I realize we're all the same, regardless of race or ethnicity, and we are all capable of perpetrating hatred. We are also all capable of being quite benevolent.

I just think it's important to acknowledge the fact that, with respect to racial injustice in America, one can argue all day and night that racism goes both ways, but that argument fails because whites hold most of the power in this great country.

Here's another way of stating it: Racism does indeed go both ways. However, the fact that it goes both ways is a moot point because the racist behavior perpetrated by those in power has a far more significant impact than any racist behavior being demonstrated by those "out" of power. I.e., the little guy gets screwed.

Another point -
The Civil War was not fought over slavery. It was, in fact, fought over states rights. Slavery was the "media" issue, which came up to the forefront after Lincoln used it in the Emancipation Proclaimation, but in fact that was designed to disrupt the economic stability of the south (an agricultural economy heavily dependent on cheap manual labor) rather than any great desire on the part of the north to free the slaves (other than the abolitionists, who actually were throughout the US at the time).

Carry on.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
but in fact that was designed to disrupt the economic stability of the south

Haven't you forgotten that the South seceded from the U.S. first? This was a matter of quelching separatism, quite honestly. Considering all the trouble we've had to endure with the South since, part of me wishes the North had just let the South go and languish into a confederate chaos. But the better side of me knows that everyone's lives are better--slaves were freed, indentured servants were freed, the elitist and feudal state of the South was destroyed. Even today, quite honestly, I don't know how the North and the South stay together. It seems to be that, quite often, they are ideological opposites, and it's like pulling teeth to get the two to cooperate.

But maybe I'm blowing it all out of proportion out of unrelated bitterness... Expect a retraction soon, if that's the case.

Carry on.

Melon

------------------

Back
Top Bottom