Judge No Longer Believes In Punishment, Sentences Rapist To 60 Days - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Hopefully the public outrage will be so great that he will be forced to resign.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Could you explain further?
Sure, I was responding to BluRmGrl and UberBeaver. I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Sure, I was responding to BluRmGrl and UberBeaver. I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:

Got it.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.
Let me preface by saying that I am in NO WAY trying to antagonize, provoke, or otherwise prod you into an argument - as a matter of fact, I completely understand and respect your view on any kind of retalitory violence. My comments were really just a gut-reaction response... But it does lead me to question: what IS an ethical, balanced punishment for the offender? And what about the judge?

Like I said, I'm not trying to provoke -- I'm just really curious about what other people think should be done with the accused.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:36 PM
What is the legal precedent in VT for rape?

Have we watched a judge simply take matters into his own hands (i.e., rewrite law from the bench)?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #37
The Fly

Local Time: 03:06 AM
That is disgusting. I don't believe that people like that can be rehabilitated. They should lock him up and throw away the key. A short sentence would be bad enough for her parents to have to deal with, but no punishment at all? Shocking.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343289&nav=4QcS

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- "District Court Judge Edward Cashman is standing by the 60-day minimum sentence he imposed on a man convicted of having repeated sexual contact with a young girl.

The goal in handing down the sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston is the long-term protection of the public from a man Cashman considers to be a greater threat to re-offend if he does not receive immediate sex-offender treatment, the judge wrote.

Cashman said in court documents filed Tuesday that he would have required more jail time for Hulett if he could have received sex offender treatment in jail.

"Sentencing is not the end of a problem," he wrote. "It should be the start of a solution."

Hulett received a combined sentence of a 10-year minimum to a maximum of life in prison for his conviction on two charges of aggravated sexual assault and a lesser offense, with all but 60 days suspended.

"The court maximized the long-term public safety protection at the cost of what now appears as being 'soft' on child molesters," Cashman wrote. "At sentencing, the court viewed the defendant as a dangerous man, likely to engage in future crime unless he has proper and timely treatment."

The maximum sentence of life in prison "sought to ensure public safety should Mr. Hulett fail in or refuse treatment during the first 10-year term," Cashman wrote.

Cashman's decision has been condemned by Gov. James Douglas, who said he was appalled by it. Republican and Democratic lawmakers are calling for legislation with mandatory minimum sentences for sex crimes.

One state senator is urging his impeachment. "This guy has got to go," said state Sen. Wendy Wilton, R-Rutland. "People believe he has flipped his lid."

House Republicans on Tuesday introduced a resolution calling on Cashman to resign."
Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Perhaps Mark Hulett can move in with Judge Cashman to begin the rehabilitation process.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Cashman's decision has been condemned by Gov. James Douglas, who said he was appalled by it. Republican and Democratic lawmakers are calling for legislation with mandatory minimum sentences for sex crimes.

One state senator is urging his impeachment. "This guy has got to go," said state Sen. Wendy Wilton, R-Rutland. "People believe he has flipped his lid."

House Republicans on Tuesday introduced a resolution calling on Cashman to resign."
Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343289&nav=4QcS

The goal in handing down the sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston is the long-term protection of the public from a man Cashman considers to be a greater threat to re-offend if he does not receive immediate sex-offender treatment, the judge wrote.

Does he not read? Does he not know that there is no such thing as treatment for sex offenders. What a joke this guy is. He can't possibly be this clueless.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

someone should beat the ever living piss out of this judge, not killing him, but just putting him in the hospital for an extended period of time... and then some other judge should sentance the guy who did it to time served and let him go.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

you volunteering?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
I'm not sure Headache really wanted the judge to feel the physical pain, but get acquainted with the concept of justice denied for a wrong-doer.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

wouldn't that just be more misuse of the justice system? i think the judge should resign