Jordanian University Says if She is Disobedient... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Amna,

Dread has shown absolute respect for all people in this forum. He has never once suggested that he despises Islam.

Dread posts articles that make all of us think.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Amna,

Dread has shown absolute respect for all people in this forum. He has never once suggested that he despises Islam.

Dread posts articles that make all of us think.
I have to go to bat for my friend Dread. Nbcrusader is right on the money here. These guys are both gentlemen who respect others irregardless of gender, religion, race, nationality or political views. They are both conservatives; I am a liberal. They respect that I am a liberal and I respect that they are conservatives. They do respect that you are Moslem; they happen to be Christians--as am I. I respect my Moslem brothers and sisters. We are all exercising our democratic rights here.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:16 PM   #18
The Fly

If over half my posts on this forum was dedicated to picking on Jewish scholors, and never once saying anything positive about Jewish people... then, how would you percieve me as???

Listen, I'M ALL FOR CRITICAL THINKING///..... However, if all the information you are going to provide is on negative topics on the people of the religion, without ever once saying something positive about the religion or the people... then i'm sorry, but I perceive that as a negativity...

Listen, I don't know anyone on this forum, I read what is on the posts.. I am not saying Dread is a bad person....

But my assumptions come from what i see...
Dread is trying to prove a point by showing all these negative aspects of Islam and their people... While at the same time he is supporting Sharon's massive wall and demolishin of Palestinian homes... Now, i think this is enough to assume that he despises my people.....
I'm glad he makes you think... He makes me think 2....

ps- As someone who is Muslim, I will be more sensitive on these topics.... Especially with his views on Israel-Palestine... so, plz understand...

dude, i shouldn't be on this forum to much.. i've got a life to deal with.

peace.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Amna, Dread, please lets not make assumptions. In recent times Dreadsox has made a few threads which pick out things many, or dare I say all of us, would find difficult to agree with. The assumptions one would make about this are indeed premature and cannot be based on fact if we know who Dreadsox really is. Not all of us know him, and we must remember that and not be too hasty in jumping to conclusions. Alternatively, it must always be remembered that if we are going to show an interest in one particular side of a debate, it is easy for the wrong impression to be had by those reading.

I dont think there is any particular criticism at play here by anyone in regards to the Islamic faith in general (excluding the extremes which are up for some scrutiny). There is though an interest in items picked out which many of us overall find difficult to be comfortable with. Threads like this one which highlight the attitude toward disobedient housewives and the like only represent so much. There are going to be those who don't follow this doctrine yet are a member of this religion and will be more frustrated and so on by this as it can be the fuel that leads to intolerance and even hatred.

We cannot be always responsible when our words are misinterpreted, but we need to keep in mind that our words can be and sometimes will be regardless. We need to keep in mind the positions of others in here so things dont get out of hand and we can maintain the respect everyone deserves.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Amna
If over half my posts on this forum was dedicated to picking on Jewish scholors, and never once saying anything positive about Jewish people... then, how would you percieve me as???

Listen, I'M ALL FOR CRITICAL THINKING///..... However, if all the information you are going to provide is on negative topics on the people of the religion, without ever once saying something positive about the religion or the people... then i'm sorry, but I perceive that as a negativity...
I have made over 3,000 posts most of which have been in FYM. half my posts have not been on this topic I assure you. I have posted many opinions on many issues.

Quote:
Listen, I don't know anyone on this forum, I read what is on the posts.. I am not saying Dread is a bad person....

But my assumptions come from what i see...
Dread is trying to prove a point by showing all these negative aspects of Islam and their people... While at the same time he is supporting Sharon's massive wall and demolishin of Palestinian homes... Now, i think this is enough to assume that he despises my people.....
I'm glad he makes you think... He makes me think 2....
You are making assumptions. I have never said I despise your people. If my supporting Israels right to defend itself upsets you, I cannot do anything about that. I am not going to rehash the tunnel debate and the wall debate in this thread. I can only say I despise no one.

Quote:
ps- As someone who is Muslim, I will be more sensitive on these topics.... Especially with his views on Israel-Palestine... so, plz understand...

dude, i shouldn't be on this forum to much.. i've got a life to deal with.

peace.
You can have your view, I respect that. I do not like you putting words into my mouth, or other posters mouths. I especially take issue with you saying that I or any other poster despise Palestinians because we may believe in a countries right to defend themselves.

You have much to offer to this forum and a unique perspective.

Maybe you have missed it in the past, but I have posted many articles going against radical christians as well. I am not oprejudiced against any one group. I find extremists of all typs offensive.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:41 PM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:35 PM
I'd started this reply a while before I hit submit but got distracted by the phone and a few other things. Amna and Dread, please try to keep in mind where assumptions are made and how the things we post are going to be perceived. You both make incredible contributions to this place and I would hate to see anyone leave under bad terms.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:44 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Old 10-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Amna, I know where you're coming from. These are tough times for Moslems in the U.S. Believe me, I get very angry at anti-Moslem or anti-Islamic remarks, and there have been too many of those. I think it is important for us Christians to respect our Moslem brothers and sisters; without this we will never have peace in the Middle East, and I hope there can be peace. I have some trouble with the Wahhabists, but since you are Shia I'd imagine you do too. Some Sunnis also have big time criticisms of the Wahhabists. After all these are the people who bombed the mosque in Iraq. I cannot think of a more anti-Islamic act than bombing a mosque! No one in this forum is anti-Islam. Dread mentioned two Moslems who said things he didn't like, the scholar in Jordan and the Malaysian guy who made that controversial speech at the meeting of the Moslem nations. As he pointed out he's also posted notes highly critical of radical Christians. This is one place I really don't think you need to be nervous about anti-Islamic sentiment. People are not prejudiced against Moslems here. We welcome a Moslem perspective on these very complicated issues. We can't solve these problems without imput from our Moslem brothers and sisters. Peace.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:06 PM   #24
The Fly

THANKS FOR CLEARING UP A FEW THINGS...

But, I think it is important for one to know, that when one posts views on how Islamic scholors view a situation, it is always important to write something to counter act that suggesting that this does not represent the whole of Islam... there are many people out there who know nothing of Islam, and for them to read such harsh quotes made by illegitimate (in my oppinion) scholars, and never say anything to make that reader aware that this does not represent Islam, is irresponsible...
I'm only saying this, because I want to educate my peers on Islam... I don't consider myself fully American or Pakistani, because I was raised in a very Islamic orientated house hold, and so, when I see such harsh quotes that taints my faith, I get overwhelmed, and I feel a need to give justice of representation of my faith.... but then again, i don't have enough time to spend on this forum....
Old 10-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #25
The Fly

whether it be Islam or Christianity, it is important to be aware of your readers... Thus, always give justice to the faith you are discussing....
Old 10-29-2003, 10:40 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Amna, I agree. Count me as one of many people who need to know more about Islam. I do know that it's a mistake to judge the whole religion on what one person says, no matter how "important" that person might be as in the case of the politicians from Malaysia. The local Moslem community is having an open house for Ramadan. The mosque is open for visits by appointment. The appointment is just so they will know how many are showing up. I haven't had time to call yet but I'm definitely going by to introduce myself and meet my local Moslem brothers and sisters. I think this is really cool.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 PM   #27
The Fly

Verte, I really admire you .
Old 10-29-2003, 08:57 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Verte, I really admire you .
Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:17 PM   #29
The Fly

We will only seek peace when we start to learn about eachother and accept eachother for who we are and our beliefs...

I went to a confrence about Peace in Arab-Israeli conflict; the guy who led the confrence, Aaron Miller, is the president of the Seeds of Peace program, which is a camp that brings together Israeli and Palestinian teens.. Thus, these kids are brought together, and the results have been amazing... All of them supposably leave the camp as being best friends towards eachother...
Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I know about Seeds of Peace. That's a very cool concept. Dennis Miller is a great guy.