Jon Stewart on Crossfire - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
NB has clarity and a keen sense of the issues no matter how much dust and smoke is thrown around.

God Bless you NB,

diamondbruno
nbc does had a keen sense of the issues and yes, he is very intelligent. I love discussing the issues with him even though our opinions differ greatly. Other's who don't agree with him all of the time have a keen sense of the issues and great minds too

Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:05 AM
my two cents' worth: jon stewart crossed the line when he called tucker a dick, no doubt. he's obviously an intelligent, articulate man, and he didn't need to resort to childish name-calling no matter how frustrated he was.

other than that, i like what he was trying to say. i loathe cnn--i find it to be info-tainment, 'theatre' as jon called it. it may be the biggest in america, but it is far from the best. cnn has the resources, but fails to analyze the headlines in a thoughtful, intelligent manner. it's more about shock and schlock.

to add to the current debate: i wouldn't call jon stewart a clown. his show may be classified as comedy, but it wouldn't be so funny if he didn't have such an acute understanding of the political scene. the fact that many of us get the news from his show instead of cnn attests to his credibility as a political commentator. the doofuses on crossfire refused to listen to his opinion or respond to his (valid) criticisms--they just kept interrupting him and telling him to be funny, as if that's all he's capable of. in my opinion, they proved jon stewart's point.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
my two cents' worth: jon stewart crossed the line when he called tucker a dick, no doubt. he's obviously an intelligent, articulate man, and he didn't need to resort to childish name-calling no matter how frustrated he was.
I do agree with this. It was a low-point in his argument and THIS is what took away from his credibility, not the fact that he is a comedian.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 AM
After watching the video....

I see the point that Stewart was trying to make. I wish that the news networks would really grill Bush and Kerry on the real issues! I want to see questions to Bush about making health care affordable and how we can make Iraq stable. I want the news outlets to actually look into Kerry's Senate record because I have no idea what this guy is about(I know what he wants to tell us, but c'mon, he's a politician and saying what people want to hear).

BUT, Stewart seems like a guy that can talk the talk but not walk the walk. As others have mentioned he will not hold himself to the same standards as others, falling back on "It's a comedy show." The fact is that many many younger people watch his show nightly and it is a source of news for them--and you know quite well Stewart's doing the best he can to try to get Kerry some votes on a nightly basis with his "news show." So if cable news is too light on politicians, can we just say that "The Daily Show" is propaganda? Sounds fair to me.

Basically, IMO, Stewart came across as arrogant and as the "dick" he described Tucker as.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Jon Stewart was brilliant!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:05 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

other than that, i like what he was trying to say. i loathe cnn--i find it to be info-tainment, 'theatre' as jon called it. it may be the biggest in america, but it is far from the best. cnn has the resources, but fails to analyze the headlines in a thoughtful, intelligent manner. it's more about shock and schlock.

to add to the current debate: i wouldn't call jon stewart a clown. his show may be classified as comedy, but it wouldn't be so funny if he didn't have such an acute understanding of the political scene. the fact that many of us get the news from his show instead of cnn attests to his credibility as a political commentator. the doofuses on crossfire refused to listen to his opinion or respond to his (valid) criticisms--they just kept interrupting him and telling him to be funny, as if that's all he's capable of. in my opinion, they proved jon stewart's point.
I basically agree with this, although I may be quite naive in that I am surprised to learn from this thread that people actually watch the Daily Show to get news. Everyone I know watches it for pure entertainment and to get his humorous take on the news, but I guess I hang with a pretty well-informed crowd.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

And in no way did he seem high!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
not a consesus here Mrs SpellCheck, I'm talking nationally.

How you been HHSC?

db9
Fine, thanks.

So where have you gotten your info on this? Just curious, as a lot of people I've talked to thought Stewart made some good points.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown

I dunno, maybe we should look at the case of Bono...I mean, who is a rock star to go about shaking hands with politicians and asking for money for AIDS and debt relief. I mean, he's a singer, he should stop being serious and sing us a song right?
I could easily dismiss Bono's statements if he had not spent his time (1) in Africa (and doing so as an individual, not as part of a press junket) (2) studying the details behind the issues, and (3) worked across party lines to focus attention on the issues.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

Fine, thanks.

So where have you gotten your info on this? Just curious, as a lot of people I've talked to thought Stewart made some good points.
i think we navigate and co-mingle in different circles

db9
Old 10-19-2004, 01:40 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I could easily dismiss Bono's statements if he had not spent his time (1) in Africa (and doing so as an individual, not as part of a press junket) (2) studying the details behind the issues, and (3) worked across party lines to focus attention on the issues.
yes, you are right. I was being too simplistic when I cited Bono as an example. Bono talks the talk AND walks the walk when it comes to the causes he supports. To compare the Jon Stewart situation to anything Bono has done does Bono an injustice.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I'm sorry, but his appearance was utterly brilliant.

Yes, he's a comedian, and yes he's brilliant when he's funny, but for God's sake, what he was talking about is no laughing matter, and I think the problem is that those two clowns tried to laugh along, and that was Stewart's point - stop making a mockery of all of this.

Somebody needs to call out the mainstream media on their bullshit, and I'm glad he did it. He totally handed it to the both of them.

Plus, he called Tucker a dick.

I jon stewart!
Old 10-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
I Jon Stewart AND I Tucker Carlson! I can see the argument on both sides here.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, Stewart is way too funny tonight.

I think for me Stewart is playing a character on The Daily Show. I wouldn't expect him to be that guy on Crossfire, or the Letterman Show, or whatever.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #60
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Thanks for the link, sharky.

I didn't find it weird or out of character for Stewart at all. I thought he was right on.
I didn't either. He was trying to do it in a lighter manner, but they kept poking him and he snapped.

Stewart hit a nerve. That's all there is to it.

I didn't realize how hot Tucker Carlson was.