Jon Stewart on Crossfire - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
"I thought that he looked ridiculous," Carlson said in an interview Monday, "and I think the tape makes that clear."

Carlson said Stewart continued lecturing the "Crossfire" crew after the show went off the air. "I wasn't offended as much as I was unimpressed," he said.

Stewart wasn't talking about the confrontation on Monday, a spokesman said. Comedy Central executive Tony Fox said there may be some regret over the vulgarity, but that Stewart has been a longtime critic of cable news networks and their political argument shows.

The comedian hasn't gone out of his way to endorse Kerry. In a public forum last week in New York, he was asked who he would vote for, and he said he'd back the Democrat.

Carlson noted that many of the great comedians kept their political opinions to themselves, not for fear of offending anyone, but because it could hurt their art.

"You're selling out," he said. "If you are a satirist or an acute social observer, and he is, and all of a sudden you suspend disbelief on someone or suck up rather than prod or poke someone, people will look at you and say, `Even if I agree with you, I don't like it,'" he said.

Fox said "The Daily Show" poked fun at people in power, regardless of their party. Most people who watch Stewart are aware that he leans to the left politically.

"I don't think it really impacts the show at all," he said. "The show does what it does regardless of Jon's political persuasion."

Old 10-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:32 AM
it's a consesus the Jon Stewart was outta line, flipped out, while Tucker did ok.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:44 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
And to think that a measurable percentage of young people look to the Daily Show as their source of news.....
Old 10-19-2004, 08:31 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
And to think that a measurable percentage of young people look to the Daily Show as their source of news.....
yeah its funny and sad at the same time, i'm able to have political discussions with my friends because they are "informed" from the daily show.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
it's a consesus the Jon Stewart was outta line, flipped out, while Tucker did ok.
It's a consensus among who exactly? Have you read this thread?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

not a consesus here Mrs SpellCheck, I'm talking nationally.

How you been HHSC?

db9
Old 10-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Ok i was really looking forward to Jon Stewart on Crossfire. I expected to be rolling, Paul Begala, tucker carlson, and jon stewart really are a group of funny guys. It ended up being, well, WEIRD. Paul and Tucker were trying to keep it funny, crack jokes, and all they got was a very weird lecture from Stewart. I can understand what he was trying to say, but, it just didn't work. Paul and Tucker were obviously frustrated. It was really weird. He rarely said anything remotely funny. I think he was high.......it was very disappointing.
high? you think he was high? I think he was PISSED off and trying to raise a serious point and they were basically trying to make him just be funny ol jon stewart. I think it's sad how they kept trying to shut him up and pigeon-hole him. I personally loved it when he said he wasnt there to be their monkey
Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

I just watched the video clip. I think it is hard for Stewart to make his points when, if challenged about his own show, he falls back to the "we're a comedy show". It hurts the credibility of Stewart's message when he is unwilling to play by the same rules himself.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
I just watched the video clip. I think it is hard for Stewart to make his points when, if challenged about his own show, he falls back to the "we're a comedy show". It hurts the credibility of Stewart's message when he is unwilling to play by the same rules himself.
His point is that his show SHOULD not be held to the same standards as a serious news show. It's a comedy it's supposed to be shocking, funny, sometimes dumb.

If you went to the circus and the clowns were all wearing red noses and hitting each other with pies you would laugh, you'd expect that.... but if you went to a hospital and all the doctors were doing that you'd likely beat a hasty retreat out of there would you not?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

But my point is, can the clown tell the doctor how to do their job?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 AM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
I think the clown can have an opinion, especially if he is an intelligent person and wants to address some serious issues. However it's sad to just dismiss him and say "you're a clown, don't be serious, make us laugh"
Old 10-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

" It hurts the credibility of Stewart's message when he is unwilling to play by the same rules himself. "

I thought you wanted the clown to practice medicine?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I think the clown can have an opinion, especially if he is an intelligent person and wants to address some serious issues. However it's sad to just dismiss him and say "your a clown, don't be serious, make us laugh"
Stewart should decide if he is just a clown, or if wants to bring credibility to his own message. He may be an intelligent clown, but if he plays clown all day long, does taking off his clown hat give him credibility?

Or was all of this simply part of the clown act?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #44
Refugee

Quote:

Stewart should decide if he is just a clown, or if wants to bring credibility to his own message. He may be an intelligent clown, but if he plays clown all day long, does taking off his clown hat give him credibility?

Or was all of this simply part of the clown act?
I dunno, maybe we should look at the case of Bono...I mean, who is a rock star to go about shaking hands with politicians and asking for money for AIDS and debt relief. I mean, he's a singer, he should stop being serious and sing us a song right?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

NB has clarity and a keen sense of the issues no matter how much dust and smoke is thrown around.

God Bless you NB,

diamondbruno