John U Good Samaritan Fund

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
http://kennyholland.com/archives/2005/06/jon_u.html#more

97.3 The Planet is hosting the Jon U Good Samaritan Fund in the Kansas City area. I thought I would post this here in case some of you may want to donate to this cause.

Jon U lost his life on Thursday, June 9, 2005.

He was injured while attempting to stop a purse snatcher. Jon U was dragged by the getaway car and pinned against a building. Jon leaves behind a wife who is expecting their first child in August. His dream was to have his daughter to go to college, and this is what the fund is for. They just purchased their first home and this tragedy had to happen. People like Jon gives us hope in the world that there is still a chance for change and humanity.

Donations can be made to:
Jonathan U Good Samaritan Fund:
PO BOX 7368
Shawnee Mission KS 66207

Posted on Fri, Jun. 10, 2005 on the Kansas City Star

Man was injured helping stop crime

Act of courage takes life of a hero

Ruth Peck first became aware of Jon U three weeks ago today.

On Wednesday night she was at his hospital bedside shortly before the man who rushed to her aid after she was robbed of her purse died.

U, whose selfless act of courage inspired people who never knew him, died shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday of internal injuries he suffered in the May 20 incident.

U’s wife, Stephanie, is expecting the couple’s first child in August.

Peck, who visited U regularly at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, said Thursday that U’s actions renewed her confidence in humanity and far outweighed the actions of the man who robbed her.

“He may be gone physically, but he’ll be with me always,” Peck said of U, who was 29. “He’s touched a lot of people’s hearts. I want his memory to be kept alive.”

Peck is among those who have helped set up a fund to aid the family. Besides the pending birth of their child, the couple just moved into a new home in Olathe. Stephanie U works as a graphic designer at Johnson County Community College.

News of U’s death brought swift action from Johnson County prosecutors.

A felony first-degree murder charge was filed Thursday morning against Brad Joseph Jones, 26, who was arrested minutes after the incident in which U was injured. If he is convicted, Jones, who is in the Johnson County Jail, would be sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 20 years.

Peck was in a Target store parking lot at 119th Street and Strang Line Road when a man grabbed her purse. Peck fought with him before he wrenched it away from her and began running. U heard her screams and came running.

As the man climbed into a getaway car, U reached in and attempted to pull the purse away from him. The thief sped away with U being dragged alongside. The car crashed into the side of a Petsmart store, and U was pinned against the building. As U was sprawled on the ground, bystanders chased down the man and held him for police.

On Thursday, a swirling pattern of black scuff marks still marred the tan stone wall where U was injured.

Touched by U’s act, a few area merchants began collecting donations of money and gifts for him and his family after the incident. At Second Nature Design, across the parking lot from the crash site, a large sign outside read “In Remembrance of Jon U. Our Hearts Go Out to Jon’s Family.”

“I don’t even know the guy, and I’m so hurt by it,” said store owner Jennifer Baker.

Baker said countless people from all over the community had donated money or gifts. “I just want to see us pull together as a community and help this family,” Baker said.

U’s friends and co-workers said they were not surprised at U’s action to help a stranger.

“What he did was totally Jon,” said Jason Kerschner, a friend and co-worker at PlattForm Advertising in Olathe. “The world would be a better place if more people were like Jon U. I feel genuinely lucky to have known him.”

Another co-worker, Justin Strelow, first met U when they were students at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School.

“He was one of the nicest, most humble people I’ve ever known,” Strelow said. “I never heard him say one bad thing about another.”

U was born in South Korea and came to the Kansas City area as a small child. At PlattForm, he worked in the video production department as a producer and editor. “He was one of the most talented video editors I’ve ever worked with,” Kerschner said.

His family was making funeral arrangements Thursday night.

Jones also is charged in a purse robbery May 19 in Overland Park. Prison records show that Jones previously had been convicted in connection with two other purse robberies and was paroled eight days before the Olathe incident.

His attorney, Carl Cornwell, said he told Jones Thursday about U’s death. “He indicated to me he’s very sorry this happened,” Cornwell said. “He certainly didn’t intend for this to occur.”

Cornwell said he also spoke with family members of Jones and that they wanted to convey their deepest sympathy to the U family.

Peck said she intended to be at every court hearing.

“I want him to see my face,” she said.

Stephanie U said Thursday that it meant a lot to her that Peck had gone to see her husband before he died. “It’s nice she cared enough to be there to support our family,” U said. “I know Jon really liked her and her family.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay..we've been taking requests on the air in exchange for your pledge to the John U fund. We'll keep a running total here on the Morning Show Page so you can stay updated. After a little while we decided to stay on the air till we get $50,000 in pledges:

6/10/05 3pm $6200 ($43,800 to go)
6/10/05 8pm Thanks to the great people at Dickinson Theaters and Plattform Advertising for each donating $5000! We're now at $22,105! ($27,850 to go).
This money will help Lauren, who has yet to take her first breath, go to college. It's the dream her dad Jon, had for her.

6/11/05 12:30pm $23520 ($26480 to go)

If you are planning on donating money, please email Kenny Holland, Morning Show at 97.3 The Planet and e-mail and let him know how much you intend to mail to him. You can send the money via check.

Donations can be made to:
Jonathan U Good Samaritan Fund:
PO BOX 7368
Shawnee Mission KS 66207

kenny@973theplanet.com

If you want more information, check the stations website at http://www.973theplanet.com

Or if you have questions, call the station at 913.576.7973.

I thank all of you who will open up your heart and donate to this cause!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom