John Lennon: 26 years ago - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 PM
John Lennon: 26 years ago

It's hard to believe it's been 26 years ago since John Lennon was shot dead. Do you remember where you were when you heard about it??? Many of you are probably too young but I'm sure some of you remember. A sad night indeed.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Since you are asking: Where have you been?

I'm too young.
Would've been interesting how he would've developed.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Re: John Lennon: 26 years ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
It's hard to believe it's been 26 years ago since John Lennon was shot dead. Do you remember where you were when you heard about it??? Many of you are probably too young but I'm sure some of you remember. A sad night indeed.
I was at the bus stopin the morning. I was in middle school at the time. I remember coming home after school finding my mother in the middle of the living room in tears.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:55 AM
I don't remember hearing about it right at the time (I was 9) but I do remember seeing the cover story about it in Time shortly afterwards, recognizing him as one of the Beatles and asking my father why anyone would want to kill a rock star, which made no sense to me. I guess I was too young for it to be a "time stood still" moment though; maybe if I'd had siblings old enough or parents young enough to be Beatles fans it would've made more of an impression.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:55 PM
I was old enough to remember. I think I was home and heard it on the news

R.I.P.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I was still six years away from being born, but somehow I still feel a terrible sadness when I realize that he isn't here.

Despite not having grown up with the music of the Beatles and his solo material (I heard it when I was young, I mean I wasn't around when it was released), it has affected my life. Lennon was truly a transcendent mind, and although I never knew what the world was like with him in it, it seems to me it would somehow be much better if he were around.

John, you're missed.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
I'll never forget seeing the headline in the paper the day after the killing. It was one of the most traumatic events of my life.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
I remember seeing the news on the TV, and being totally shocked.

I remember very vividly Just like Starting Over being Number 1 for yonks to be replaced by Bryan Ferry with Jealous Guy very soon after and it being Number 1 here for months.....
Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
She's the One

Local Time: 03:55 PM
I was in my first year of college. I remember sitting in the back of Religious Studies 100, talking with Larry and Karen about it.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
BAW
The Flower

I was 14 and remember everything. I was in my room listening to the radio (KMET in LA) and the DJ (Jack Snyder I think) said something about John Lennon being shot. He was crying and hard to understand but I got "murdered in NYC" and "deranged fan." I started to cry too and ran to the kitchen to tell my mom. She said something like "oh shut the fuck up!" but when she turned on the TV, a special report was on and it was confirmed. Her face went pale and she looked absolutely stunned. It was someone from her generation, someone she admired and grew up listening too.

I spent the rest of that night listening to people call in to KMET, some sobbing, some angry. In between calls, they played John Lennon and Beatles songs...mom and I spent the next 3 or 4 days watching news reports and memorials.

Even years later, I still get choked up hearing Imagine. Once in the grocery store, I almost had to leave it hit me so hard
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Even years later, I still get choked up hearing Imagine. Once in the grocery store, I almost had to leave it hit me so hard
It's one of my all time fave songs, and I too get choked up every time I hear it. It's even hard to sing along to.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I was only 6 years old at the time but I remember every detail from when I heard it on the radio the next morning on my way to 1st grade to watching it on the news later that night at the dinner table with my family. His music was a huge part of my childhood before and after his death.

I still want to cry everytime I realize that he's not here anymore and think about what we all lost that night.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
Refugee

I was 17 and on a road trip on the East coast visiting colleges with my Dad. We had stopped in Doylestown, PA and had spent the night at my uncle's house.

My younger cousin, Mary Pat, came into my room the next morning, sat on my bed and told me what had happened. I spent the rest of the trip glued to the car radio listening to tributes and Lennon interviews. Double Fantasy had recently been released and they must have played Watching the Wheels, Woman, Starting Over, and Beautiful Boy a hundred thousand times. And each time it broke your heart.

I still miss the voice of John Lennon.

R.I.P.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was 13 when it happened. I remember wondering why anyone would want to kill someone who made such wonderful music. I went to he roller rink with my best friend either the very next day or sometime during that week, and I remember everyone skating around the rink to Starting Over, which immediately shot to No. 1 on the charts and was played everywhere. The beginning of that song still sends chills down my spine.