John Kerry's words in 1971 about Vietnam attacked by White House worker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kerry has defined his Vietnam experience. By most accounts, it was a heroic effort. There now seems to be some inconsistencies between the generally accepted story and his record. If these inconsistencies do not amount to much, the story will disappear.

Kerry may have made his "I threw away my medals" claims to strenghthen his appeal to the anti-war effort back then. He is playing to a different crowd today.

More on the subject:

Videotape Contradicts John Kerry?s Own Statements Over Vietnam Medals

"I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals," Kerry said in an interview on a Washington, D.C., news program on WRC-TV called Viewpoints on Nov. 6, 1971, according to a tape obtained by ABCNEWS.
Throughout his presidential campaign, Kerry has denied that he threw away any of his medals during an anti-war protest in April 1971.

Calling it a "phony controversy" instigated by the Republican party, Kerry said on Good Morning America today that he has always accurately said what took place. "I threw my ribbons. I didn't have my medals. It is very simple."

From the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/news/politics...s_voting_record_military_background_defended/

In an exchange, aired by ABC and published in The New York Times, an interviewer asks Kerry, "How many did you give back, John?" Kerry responds, "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine." The host then notes that Kerry had won the Purple Hearts and Bronze and Silver stars. Kerry says, "Well, and above that, I gave back my others."

Nearly 800 veterans "gave back" medals, ribbons, dog tags and other military items by tossing them over a fence near the Capitol. Kerry has said that after the protest he also threw over the fence the medals of two other veterans who had asked him to return them.

Kerry denied Monday that his statements have been inconsistent. He said ribbons were often referred to as medals.

"Back then ribbons, medals were absolutely interchangeable," Kerry told "Good Morning America" on ABC. "The U.S. Navy pamphlet calls them medals. We all referred to them as the symbols they were representing. Medals, ribbons ... countless veterans threw the ribbons back."

BTW, I think Kerry is quite right in noting that this controversy now comes from someone who can't even answer if he showed up for National Guard duty or not.

C ya!

Marty

The GOP is certainly digging from the bottom of the barrel. Of course, when you're part of a party that appeals to the lowest common denominator...

Melon

melon said:
The GOP is certainly digging from the bottom of the barrel. Of course, when you're part of a party that appeals to the lowest common denominator...

Melon

that's a little much melon. i think there's plenty of reason to go after the bush administration's apparent hypocrisy in this, but my parents are republicans, and i have a number of republican friends, and i wouldn't exactly consider them the lowest common denominator. :|

I fear for the sanity of the GOP if all they have to offer is Dubya.
But, the supporters of that wonderful shrub will point out....
"He's a great leader." :ohmy: :ohmy:
If it's brought to their attention ( GOP) that Bush is a dimwit,
their only response is to attack Clinton. LOL!
Funny....I dont think Clinton is prez anymore last time I checked.

Wesley Clark (former Democratic Candidate and former NATO Commander) wrote an Article about the military records of Mr. Kerry in the NY Times:

When John Kerry released his military records to the public last week, Americans learned a lot about Mr. Kerry's exceptional service in Vietnam. They also learned a lot about the Republican attack machine.

The evaluations were uniformly glowing. One commander wrote that Mr. Kerry ranked among "the top few" in three categories: initiative, cooperation and personal behavior. Another commander wrote, "In a combat environment often requiring independent, decisive action, Lt. j.g. Kerry was unsurpassed." The citation for Mr. Kerry's Bronze Star praises his "calmness, professionalism and great personal courage under fire."

In the United States military, there's no ideology ? there are no labels, Republican or Democrat ? when superiors evaluate a man or woman's service to country. Mr. Kerry's commander for a brief time, Grant Hibbard, now a Republican, gave Mr. Kerry top marks 36 years ago.

Now the standards are those of politics, not the military. Despite his positive evaluations, Mr. Hibbard recently questioned whether Mr. Kerry deserved one of his three Purple Hearts.

In the heat of a political campaign, attacks come from all directions. That's why John Kerry's military records are so compelling; they measure the man before his critics or his supporters saw him through a political lens. These military records show that John Kerry served his country with valor, and that those who served with him and above him held him in high regard. That's honor enough for any veteran.

Yet the Republican attack machine follows a pattern we've seen before, whether the target is Senator John McCain in South Carolina in 2000 or Senator Max Cleland in Georgia in 2002. The latest manifestation of these tactics is the controversy over Mr. Kerry's medals.

John Kerry was awarded three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star for his service in Vietnam. In April 1971, as part of a protest against the war, he threw some ribbons over the fence of the United States Capitol.

Republicans have tried to use this event to question his patriotism and his truthfulness, claiming he has been inconsistent in saying whether he threw away his medals or ribbons. This is no more than a political smear. After risking his life in Vietnam to save others, John Kerry earned the right to speak out against a war he believed was wrong. Make no mistake: it is that bravery these Republicans are now attacking.

Although President Bush has not engaged personally in such accusations, he has done nothing to stop others from making them. I believe those who didn't serve, or didn't show up for service, should have the decency to respect those who did serve ? often under the most dangerous conditions, with bravery and, yes, with undeniable patriotism.

(since you need an account at the NY times and the article isn't that long i quoted the article completely)

Of course Mr. Clark is a Democrat and because of that he is biased, but i think he made some good statements here.

McCain Defends Kerry's Record on National Security
Ariz. Senator Calls for More Civility in Debate
By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 19, 2004; Page A01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A6173-2004Mar18?language=printer

Republican Sen. John McCain yesterday defended Sen. John F. Kerry's record on national security, undercutting the Bush-Cheney campaign's latest attacks on the Democratic presidential challenger and frustrating conservatives hoping for a unified front against the Massachusetts senator.
I do not believe that he is, quote, 'weak on defense,' " McCain (Ariz.) said on NBC's "Today" show.

Asked on the CBS "Early Show" whether he agreed with Vice President Cheney's assertion that Kerry is a threat to national security, McCain said: "I don't think that. I think that John Kerry is a good and decent man. . . . I think he has different points of view on different issues, and he will have to explain his voting record. But this kind of rhetoric, I think, is not helpful in educating and helping the American people make a choice."

By Charles Babington

Republican Sen. John McCain yesterday defended Sen. John F. Kerry's record on national security, undercutting the Bush-Cheney campaign's latest attacks on the Democratic presidential challenger and frustrating conservatives hoping for a unified front against the Massachusetts senator.

"I do not believe that he is, quote, 'weak on defense,' " McCain (Ariz.) said on NBC's "Today" show.

Asked on the CBS "Early Show" whether he agreed with Vice President Cheney's assertion that Kerry is a threat to national security, McCain said: "I don't think that. I think that John Kerry is a good and decent man. . . . I think he has different points of view on different issues, and he will have to explain his voting record. But this kind of rhetoric, I think, is not helpful in educating and helping the American people make a choice."

Although McCain restated his support of Bush's reelection bid, Democrats welcomed his remarks during a week in which the Bush-Cheney campaign sharpened its attacks on Kerry's record on military and diplomatic matters. In a speech Wednesday in California, Cheney portrayed Kerry as a weak-willed lawmaker whose policies would have left Saddam Hussein in Baghdad as well as Kuwait. He said Kerry "has given us ample doubts about his judgment and the attitude he brings to bear on vital issues of national security."

Yesterday, the Bush campaign released a new TV ad attacking Kerry's voting record on funding the war in Iraq.

McCain, who lost a sometimes bitter GOP presidential nomination battle to Bush four years ago, is well-known for opposing Republican orthodoxy on campaign finance laws and other issues. A congressional authority on military affairs, he is a hero to many veterans familiar with his years of torture in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp.

Some of Bush's staunchest backers seemed infuriated by McCain's comments, which ran counter to the Republicans' theme of the week and landed on an otherwise quiet day, with Kerry on vacation in Idaho. Conservative talk show hosts, including Laura Ingraham, denounced McCain's remarks, and by midday the senator was declining most interview requests.
Two associates close to McCain said that he is weary of such criticisms from within his party but that he refuses to join what he considers unfair attacks on Kerry, a friend and fellow decorated veteran of the Vietnam War. They noted that McCain was asked point-blank whether he thinks Kerry is weak on defense, not a more nuanced question such as how his and Kerry's voting records differ.

Scarletwine said:
By Charles Babington

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A6173-2004Mar18?language=printer

I do not believe that he is, quote, 'weak on defense,' " McCain (Ariz.) said on NBC's "Today" show.

By Charles Babington

"I do not believe that he is, quote, 'weak on defense,' " McCain (Ariz.) said on NBC's "Today" show.

Although McCain restated his support of Bush's reelection bid, Democrats welcomed his remarks during a week in which the Bush-Cheney campaign sharpened its attacks on Kerry's record on military and diplomatic matters. In a speech Wednesday in California, Cheney portrayed Kerry as a weak-willed lawmaker whose policies would have left Saddam Hussein in Baghdad as well as Kuwait. He said Kerry "has given us ample doubts about his judgment and the attitude he brings to bear on vital issues of national security."

Yesterday, the Bush campaign released a new TV ad attacking Kerry's voting record on funding the war in Iraq.

McCain, who lost a sometimes bitter GOP presidential nomination battle to Bush four years ago, is well-known for opposing Republican orthodoxy on campaign finance laws and other issues. A congressional authority on military affairs, he is a hero to many veterans familiar with his years of torture in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp.

Some of Bush's staunchest backers seemed infuriated by McCain's comments, which ran counter to the Republicans' theme of the week and landed on an otherwise quiet day, with Kerry on vacation in Idaho. Conservative talk show hosts, including Laura Ingraham, denounced McCain's remarks, and by midday the senator was declining most interview requests.
Two associates close to McCain said that he is weary of such criticisms from within his party but that he refuses to join what he considers unfair attacks on Kerry, a friend and fellow decorated veteran of the Vietnam War. They noted that McCain was asked point-blank whether he thinks Kerry is weak on defense, not a more nuanced question such as how his and Kerry's voting records differ.

There is a clear distinction between how McCain has voted on Defense spending over the past 20 years and the way Kerry has voted.

Kerry ran for Senate in 1984 pledging during his campaign to cut vital weapons systems from the US Military that were either in development or had just gone into production. These were:

The M1 Tank, The M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, The Patriot Missile System, The Apache Attack Helicopter, The MLRS Multiple Launch Rocket System to name a few.

All of these weapon systems have been vital to the US Army over the past 20 years in achieving its goals on and off the battlefield. Kerry was against having these systems, all of which are currently being used by the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

McCain in contrast has supported all of these weapon systems and has been a strong supporter of defense spending over the past 20 years. If McCain was running for president against Kerry, he might be more diplomatic about making these points, but he would certainly bring them out.

Kerry voted against these weapon systems and higher defense budgets. Thats a fact, and its important that Voters consider that this fall before they vote.

STING2 said:
There is a clear distinction between how McCain has voted on Defense spending over the past 20 years and the way Kerry has voted.

Kerry ran for Senate in 1984 pledging during his campaign to cut vital weapons systems from the US Military that were either in development or had just gone into production. These were:

The M1 Tank, The M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, The Patriot Missile System, The Apache Attack Helicopter, The MLRS Multiple Launch Rocket System to name a few.

All of these weapon systems have been vital to the US Army over the past 20 years in achieving its goals on and off the battlefield. Kerry was against having these systems, all of which are currently being used by the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Another opponent of these systems was Dick Cheney, since he also proposed to get rid of these artifacts of the Cold War.
http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=177

Kerry voted against these weapon systems and higher defense budgets. Thats a fact, and its important that Voters consider that this fall before they vote.

Then I suggest you check your facts (pun fully intended).

C ya!

Marty (who, based on the FactCheck website, wonders if there are any truthful ads used in the campaign)

DiscardedMedals-X.gif

Popmartijn said:

Another opponent of these systems was Dick Cheney, since he also proposed to get rid of these artifacts of the Cold War.
http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=177

Then I suggest you check your facts (pun fully intended).

C ya!

Marty (who, based on the FactCheck website, wonders if there are any truthful ads used in the campaign)

Well, here is another one where factcheck misses the "context" which it so often claims the Republicans missed.

Kerry campaigned against the above conventional weapon systems including the Apache Attack Helicopter in 1984 when production for it and many other new weaponsystems was just starting up. By 1989, the Army had already outfitted most of its active duty units with Apache Attack Helicopters. It is at that point that Cheney wanted to save money for procuring a new weapon systems by stopping all production of the Apache by 1991.

Here is the difference:

In 1984, the Army had just started to recieve their first Apache's when Mr. Kerry ran for the US Senate that year wanting to cancel the entire program in which case few if any of the Apache's would have been delivered to the Army.

In 1989, Cheney wants to stop production of the Apache within 2 years by sometime in 1991. When Cheney said this, the Army had 454 Apache Attack Helicopters and by June 1, 1992 when Cheney was still Sec of Defense, the Army had 712 Apache Attack Helicopters.

Cheney's cut would have only prevented a small number of Units from recieving the Apache. The Army never planned to build more than 1,000 of them and by June 1, 1992 under Cheney they had 712. The money saved from not building all the Apache's would then go into Research and Development and procurment of a new weapon systems including the next generation attack helicopter to replace the Apache. It was money that would stay within the defense budget to be used for other vital needs of the Army.

In contrast if Kerry had is way, the Army would of had at most 20 or 30 Apache's if he had succeeded in getting the weapon system blocked in 1984/1985. Kerry planned to cut that money from the defense budget.

Of course, you will not hear these things from (Factcheck.org) since it obvious that they are a pro- Kerry and Democrat website who attempt to appear to be unbiased and a-political.

(Factcheck.org) selectively uses facts, something they accuse Republicans of doing.

That is why they will not tell you the difference between what Kerry did in 1984 and what Cheney did in 1989 in regards to the Apache.

They fail to tell you when the Apache first started to enter service with the Army. They fail to tell you how many Apache's had been built when Cheney recommended ending production in a couple of years. They fail to tell you the number of Apache's the Army had by 1991/1992. They fail to clearly point out the difference between canceling the Apache program in 1984 when few if any of the Apache's had entered service with stopping production in 1991 when most if not all of the Apache's had been built and delivered to the Army. They do not clearly tell you that the money from Cheney' cuts in the Apache program starting in 1991 would go to procurment of other weapon systems and would not leave the military budget unlike what Kerry had proposed in 1984.

From now on in the future, I'd suggest you treat Factcheck.org with as much scrutiny as you would any other political party website. Factcheck.org does have a range of information that is definitely correct, but without a doubt it is NOT the bible to go to for all facts. It is also not unbiased or a-political.

My sources for the number of Apache in possession by the US Army in 1989 and 1992 came from the London based IISS, International Institute for Strategic Studies, Military Balance books for 1989-1990 and 1992-1993.

Back
Top Bottom