John Kerry was AWOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:
This just in......

Senator Kerry only showed up to vote 36% of the time last year, 2003.

If I showed up 36% of the time to do my job I would be fired. Anyone else make $154,000 and only show up to do their job 36% of the time?

http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/cgi-bin/membervotes.cgi?&lang=&member=MAJR&site=congressmerge&address=&city=&state=&zipcode=&plusfour=&fullvotes=1

Shall I go back another year?
I don`t know, can he give his vote by someone else ? Ore by phone ? If he do not vote does that means it would make no diverence to the end result ? Is not voting means no and he would vote no anyway? Is it illigal not to vote ? Is it illigal not to turn up to vote ?

I don't know a lot about what is normal, but I looked at the year's votes for Edwards and Kucinich and they looked pretty similar to Kerry's. I would think that if you were out on the road campaigning, it would be pretty impossible to be in DC for every vote.

I couldn't find on that site where to go another year back. I would be curious to know what his voting record was like for other years, cause if his voting record was that bad while not campaigning, I would consider that a big problem. I looked up one of my senators and she had voted almost 100% of the time, but i have no idea what average is.

I compared him to Ted Kennedy, and thereis no comparison. Kennedy showed up for pretty much almost everything.

'AWOL' is a curious choice of word, I thought for a second this thread was going to be about Kerry's Vietnam record.

yes, but Kennedy hasn't been out campaigning for president, which is my point. I'm curious to know what Kerry's voting record looks like from other years.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
yes, but Kennedy hasn't been out campaigning for president, which is my point. I'm curious to know what Kerry's voting record looks like from other years.

I am sorry...but for the past year....he may have been campaigning...but he is collecting my tax money to pay his salary.

Sorry....36% is terrible.....no matter what he is doing.

Kerry's salary amounts to about a half a cent per person per year in the U.S. (assuming an estimated 300 million American population). If you'd like me to mail you 85 cents to refund you for his 17 years (that's correct, isn't it? :p ) in Congress, then you don't have to worry anymore.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this post is not a real justification for a newfound hatred of Kerry, as much as this post is being used to justify a pre-existing hatred of Kerry for whatever reason. Seeing the voting records of previous Congressional presidential candidates, however, Kerry appears to be on par.

Melon

Do you have any links to show that he is on Par with past candidates.....

And...I have made it clear that I have reasons....from military to education....to be disappointed in the type of job he and his office has done in the state.

This to me is out of line. But maybe I am wrong, I have tried to find info to show if it is on "par" or not on par.

Hate is a strong word to put into my mouth or to characterize this thread. :wink:

I really don't know how you could think that Bush could be any better on any issue, from military to education.

Melon

I'll admit to not knowing a lot about how this works. I have some of the same questions as ILuvLarryMullen does. I do know that many on both sides decide not to vote because they are not sure where they stand or are reluctant about a lot of the "baggage"(the term slips my mind right now, but all the crap that they slip into a law, what's it called) that comes with the vote or what not. And yes he is campaigning and that shoud be taken into consideration, it's not as if he's completely ignoring his job, ideally he's still working towards bettering this country. But I don't think this will be an issue with Bush, I don't think it would be wise for him to bring up this issue when he's sitting on one the largest vacation times for a president in history, especially for one who waged a war.

Dreadsox said:
Which leaves me in quite a position now does it not?

I'll put it this way. If Bush is allowed for a second-term, he'll go overdrive in destroying America. After all, he can't go for a third term, so he has nothing to lose. Expect nothing but ultra-conservative appointees and agendas.

Kerry, though, would be at his first term. He'll be in that same precarious position, and he'll be more cautious in a first term.

You can't go wrong with that.

Melon

melon said:

I'll put it this way. If Bush is allowed for a second-term, he'll go overdrive in destroying America. After all, he can't go for a third term, so he has nothing to lose. Expect nothing but ultra-conservative appointees and agendas.

Kerry, though, would be at his first term. He'll be in that same precarious position, and he'll be more cautious in a first term.

You can't go wrong with that.

Melon

You know Melon it's sad that we have to vote on these terms but I agree with you 100%. It scares the ever living sh*t out of me that an election like this has come down to these terms. I fear for America.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I fear for America.

Our pols, after all, are a reflection of our nation, as a whole. That's what I fear the most.

Melon

The main problem, that gets people like Bush elected, is that the 'average' voter doesn't dig too deep into the issues.

Remember Gore got blasted after his first debate because among other things he was rattling off too many stats and going too far into issues? He was supposed to just smile and provide cute soundbites. Bush acting cocky and smartarse won, though if you read a transcript he hardly answers a single question properly. Gore nailed him on everything, but he'd shoot back with a smartarse line and it turned back to the old 'nerd' vs 'funny guy' thing and people went with the guy who had 'personality'. Of course for the next debates Gore turned down the issue talk and went with 'personality' and because he didn't really have one, he lost and the US voting public so decided that an extremely narrow minded, simple guy who is good at putting people down was way better than a very intelligent guy who seemed to have a great deal of vision for your country. A mind numbingly stupid decision.

Most voters will vote on only one or two issues that immediately effect them, and won't care about anything else, won't even pay attention. There are plenty who will just vote on image, their traditional affiliation, 'personality' etc without any real care for looking deeper into what they are choosing. Very few try and find out about as much as they can in as many areas as they can - people who visit FYM aren't 'typical voters' from any country.

I can only think of that as the main reason why Bush got in. He certainly had nothing else going for him back then, and he doesn't seem to have done a positive thing since (although obviously my US domestic awareness isn't great).

If only your Democrats campaigned as dirty as your Republicans do instead of focusing on those stupid 'issues'. Tearing Bush to shreds should be a piece of cake. His slogan is "Steady Leadership in Times of Change" !!! Are they going to point out that the "Times of Change" are mostly because of him and his shaky leadership?

From the other side of the world, it appears the Republicans appear to have a problem with sex. They spent so long chasing Clinton for a blow job, claiming moral superiority on the matter, while so many of the hunters were doing the exact same thing (Gingrich etc), and they tried to make Gore look bad by just tying him to Clinton so much, and chasing him on bogus funding issues. Well, why don't the Democrats play the same game? Again it'll be sex all the way through the campaign, but this time gay marriage. They'll play on the fears that are still out there over homosexuality, make it seem like gay marriage is the end of all civilisation and make the supporters of it look like they are pure evil or 'disgusting'. I hope the Democrats are taking a leaf out of the Republicans book and know a few prominent Republicans who are in the closet. Leak a few to friendly press. Sounds harsh, but you know the same would happen in reverse.

Is Kerry an arse kicker? I hope he is. Bush couldn't match someone with personality and intelligence in a debate.

Everyone was so disappointed when you voted Bush in the first time, please, please don't do it again.

Kieran McConville said:
'AWOL' is a curious choice of word, I thought for a second this thread was going to be about Kerry's Vietnam record.
same here

personally I find it truly sad that he was even allowed not to vote half the time
they could just as well pick me to take his place

then again
36% probably is about the same as the percentage of people who will show up to vote in the presidential elections
so it sounds like he may be the best man to represent your country

Tyler,

A person not showing up to do the job they were elected to is a stupid issue? Help me out here. Why is it stupid to examine how many times he represented me?

peace

This is a legitimate complaint, I think, but I still plan to vote for Kerry this November. I'd rather have him in there than Bush based on his position on the issues.

melon said:
Anyway, I'm guessing that this post is not a real justification for a newfound hatred of Kerry, as much as this post is being used to justify a pre-existing hatred of Kerry for whatever reason. Seeing the voting records of previous Congressional presidential candidates, however, Kerry appears to be on par.

Couldn't this be said of your comments on GWB - not a real justification, just used to justify a pre-existing hatred of GWB?

martha said:
Exactly. Does Kerry's voting record mean I should seriously consider voting for the idiot who's President now?

Well, if Kerry will act as president only 36% of the time, that might even things out... :sexywink:

Did he break the law ? I think that senator is also party politics,..he is elected by a democrate majority so his voters do not complain about not showing up to vote, because he is running for president. I think the Democrates have a bonus, they voted for a senator and they got a president candidate.

i would be worried more about his membership of the skull and bones group.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It scares the ever living sh*t out of me that an election like this has come down to these terms. I fear for America.

this is so sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom