John Kerry Officially Loses the Nomination by Dropping the F-Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Way to act Presidential......I am wondering if you are being advised by members of this forum(THAT WAS A JOKE HAHAH PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY).

[Q]"I voted for what I thought was best for the country. Did I expect Howard Dean to go off to the left and say, 'I'm against everything'? Sure. Did I expect George Bush to fuck it up as badly as he did? I don't think anybody did. [/Q]

Way to go John Kerry! I am so Proud to have you as my Senator. I may now vote for any candidate who runs against you when you run for Senate next time.

Oh this was in the Rolling Stone interview.http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/43544.htm

Here is the big deal [Q]Brookings Institution presidential scholar Stephen Hess said he can't recall another candidate attacking a president with X-rated language in a public interview. [/Q]

LOL

I do kinda like him as a candidate, but I haven't made up my mind. Wes looked really good speaking at a school last week. And Dean handled Hardball very well. :shrug:

I really don't cuss a lot other than s**t. Kids & job

He didn't call him a f***er. He used it as a verb.
Extreme times make for extreme measures.
Besides the times they are a changing.
Now I would use it a noun for sure.

Okay...why is the "f" word still such a big deal in society? There haven't been many people in this country who haven't heard it or used it at some point and time in their lives, it's nothing new, so for people to continue to be shocked by it is kinda silly.

Anywho...they should look at the word in the context it was used-like Scarletwine said, he wasn't describing Bush with that word, he wasn't intending to offend anybody with it...so let bygones be bygones.

Angela

yep....times are indeed changing....Maybe I should try using it in my classroom and see if using it as a noun makes a difference. Will I have a job on Tuesday?

I think the place of use does make a difference.
Obviously I don't think your classroom is appropriate anymore than my staff meetings. But I do hear it a ton on the job. Including by senior staff members in everyday conversation.

I also have to agree with Angela that it isn't seen as that big of deal anymore.

RS magazine is traditionally a little off-color and provocative. It would not be inappropriate in that media.

I think it gives him f@#king balls. Would I vote or not vote for him based on this? No.

I'm not sure which is worse, a president that would make up words or use curse words...

I understand it is Rolling Stone.....I also know that Presidents swear....however...there is a time and a place....and this is unusual.

Last edited:
I am now reminded why America is perceived as so conservative.

Melon

I can't help it...it bothers me...:huh:

EDIT:

and I am known for dropping f-bombs......

Last edited:
Yup, Prime Minster Trudeau dropped an F-bomb in Parliament here in Canada back in the 70's. Caused a bit of a stir but nothing more. But then Trudeau could get away with pretty much anything in the golden years. But seriously Americans need to lighten up. I had to try hard not to laugh when I saw f*** referred to as "X-rated language". Personally I find the selection of words used as curses to be amusing. Why crude slang for the act of copulation or excriment should be taboo is beyond me. Also how f*** came to be used as a noun, verb, adjective and pretty much anything else is also something I find quite funny, though annoying when you have people who don't know how to say anything else.

I honestly don't see the big deal. There are bigger problems in this world than somebody's choice of four letter words. Who cares at the end of the day?

Didn't Dubya call somebody an asshole or something during his campaign? Or am I dreaming? Most of us use these words, some more than others, and I don't really blink an eye.

Definitely agree about the conservative America comments made above.

I don't consider it "X-rated language" as it was used in that interview. There are times and places where this word would not be appropriate but in this case...not such a big deal IMO :shrug:

melon said:
I am now reminded why America is perceived as so conservative.

Melon

Heh....

To compare, here in Australia the Labour party (Aussie Left/Democrat equivalent) just voted a guy called Mark Latham in as the guy to run against the Prime Minister, John Howard (as conservative as GW - more so in some areas) in our elections next year.

He is best known for calling Howard an "Arselicker" (in reference to his relationship with Bush) in an interview with a respected national news magazine.

Calling Howards government a "Conga line of suckholes" (as in, his Ministers suck up to him, he sucks up to Bush) and that was IN PARLIAMENT.

Calling our Federal Treasurer a "Big c*nt" IN PARLIAMENT.

Calling Bush "The most dangerous and incompetant US President in living memory" IN PARLIAMENT.

And in this country he's very, very popular and Howards team are a bit worried.

What a f:censored:king huge surprise. Now they're even. I recall GWB getting called on the carpet after referring to a journalist (I think, wasn't it?) as a "major league :censored:hole". The guy responded "I'm disappointed with the Governor's language".
Twenty-first century politics. I don't care. It doesn't change my vote.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think it gives him f@#king balls. Would I vote or not vote for him based on this? No.

Exactly.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'm not sure which is worse, a president that would make up words or use curse words...

I'd say the first of the two, personally. At least this word is real, unlike "misunderestimated".

Anitram and Blacksword made excellent points, too.

Angela

Times are a changing.....

Here is the challenge......

Show me another quote anywhere in AMERICAN history where a presidential candidate has attacked a sitting president and used profanity.

I can't believe, when there are such serious events happening in the world, that people waste time getting their pants in a twist because a prospective presidential candidate swore in an interview.

Is it really *that* big a deal to you guys?

Um wow....since you put it that way.....

Yes it still is a factor to me.

Dreadsox said:
anywhere in AMERICAN history where a presidential candidate has attacked a sitting president and used profanity.

Still waiting....It may have happened.....:|

Seriously, saying Bush f***ed up is a lot nice than some of the supreme nastiness I've seen in every election ad that I've seen on the NY stations we get here in Ontario. US politics is revolting in it's mud slinging, and you're getting annoyed with one word? Right...

I bet Teresa is the real potty mouth in that family..the real question is, did his hair move when he said it?

:D

Somehow I think GW uses the F word a lot in private :wink:

I am not saying he does not. As a history major and as someone who is 35 years old who has followed Presidential politics from the time he was 8 years old, and as someone who LOVES to follow the campain process, for a candidate to answer a direct question this is unheard of. That is all.

I am actually maybe for the first time in over a year of participating here sorry I brought something up in this room. Happy...LOL

My goodness....I acknowledged that presidents in private have sworn before. Bush got caught off camera by accident ...not in direct questioning. THIS was a direct question. It is not something that is common in our politics.

Back
Top Bottom