John Kerry & France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissMaCo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hi FYMers !

I've just heard that John Kerry was a France lover but he hides it so as to have more chances to be elected.

Who can tell me more ?

Thanks !

The only thing I know is that Kerry speaks French, spent some of his childhood in Europe, and perhaps feels more affinity with the place than Bush does. His foreign policy is *supposed* to be more "Europe-friendly" than Bush's is, but what that is isn't really that clear to me.

Ah--yes, I see that now. Thanks Verte!

Mmm...I've heard he speaks some French. ?? I remember a "news" story on Fox about this somehow being a bad thing. I'm afraid that's about all I know.

I do know that some Americans harbor a lot of resentment against France for not joining the coalition in Iraq. I suspect that associating Kerry with France is a way for the Reps. to continue to convince folks that Kerry is more concerned about this "global test" that American security. It also allows the Reps. to not have to talk about actual issues, but that's a whole other thread.

That's about all I've got! :)

SD

Bush knows how to speak Spanish, I would say that that is more of an asset in modern American politics than French,

You're probably right A_Wanderer. But it's insane that they're picking on the fact that Kerry speaks French. I think the ability to speak any other language is a plus for anyone.

verte76 said:
You're probably right A_Wanderer. But it's insane that they're picking on the fact that Kerry speaks French. I think the ability to speak any other language is a plus for anyone.

But this issue is whether Kerry is down playing his ability for the sake of the election....

NBC, in light of a controversial war, global terrorism, failing schools in some areas, 45 million with no health insurance, and the US Census reporting more living below the poverty line than 4 years ago...HOW IS THIS AN ISSUE?

It's GOP manufactured nationalist prejudice and it's disgusting. Think what you like about Chirac's admin--I'm no fan of his. Support the war in Iraq if you feel you should, we can agree to disagree on that. But please, don't go along with the party line on this one. It's beneath you. :|

sd

I don't like Chirac either. But I really don't think Kerry's French speaking ability should be an issue. The real issues are terrorism, the deficit, health care, the war in Iraq and others that have nothing to do with anyone's linguistic talents and capabilities.

:hmm: Thanks everybody for your replies, I'm glad I didn't start this thread talking about THAT issue :D I was just curious about Kerry's French skills.

... and I'm not a Chirac fan neither ! ;)

I just heard yesterday from someone who had talked in French with Kerry in the past that he spoke it very well, like pretty much fluently. I don't think Bush can speak Spanish fluently, according to what I heard from him on TV.

Some Bushists use terms like "french frogs". Apparently they have no manners.

Today they play Fahrenheit 9/11 on TV. I saw a piece and I wasn´t that impressed. Bowling for Columbine was hotter. But I will have to watch all of Fahrenheit and then make up my mind.

Sherry Darling said:
NBC, in light of a controversial war, global terrorism, failing schools in some areas, 45 million with no health insurance, and the US Census reporting more living below the poverty line than 4 years ago...HOW IS THIS AN ISSUE?

It's GOP manufactured nationalist prejudice and it's disgusting. Think what you like about Chirac's admin--I'm no fan of his. Support the war in Iraq if you feel you should, we can agree to disagree on that. But please, don't go along with the party line on this one. It's beneath you. :|

sd

The issue for purposes of this thread.

MissMaCo asked a question. I was attempting to reframe the question once the thread got off track.

MissMaCo said:

:lol:

BTW I'm French and I've never ever eaten frogs. :| And know nobody who has ever eaten some. :huh:

I know :) I always loved France, ummm, Paris excluded.

Mais oui, c ´est vrai.. j´aime les gens francais et la litterature .. Est-ce-que tu connais Philippe Djian?

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I know :) I always loved France, ummm, Paris excluded.

Mais oui, c ´est vrai.. j´aime les gens francais et la litterature .. Est-ce-que tu connais Philippe Djian?

Philippe Djian ? :up: I used to read his books a lot when I was in high school. Plus I love people speaking French. Your French sounds very good actually.
Have ever seen the film 37.2 Le Matin ? :drool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom