John Kerry - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I cannot help but laugh at this. Stephanopolis DEM.... Russert DEM.... Cris Matthews DEM.....

The media in this country is more left of center than right..... The three former advisors start it off.

The national news media may be right based on some of the extreme left visible in this forum....But that is your perspective.
You are ....... Insane.

You are talking about some advisors who guest now and then on news channels. Cris Matthews is the only one that's on regularly.

There are probably a dozen ultra-conservative radio/tv hosts. Not advisors or guests, but HOSTS that hold the top spots in whatever market they are in. Fox News people freely talk about this all the time. they go on and on about how there are NO Democratic radio or tv shows with any real listenership.

There is no liberal presence on TV or Radio (the two top mediums that people go to for political coverage) Newspapers and in a magazines lean slightly left.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Exclude Fox from your analysis and the ball shifts well to the left.

Besides, is there anyone here who relies on Fox for their news??

Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

It can depend on location, too, if you're talking about the local media. Here in the South the local media is more likely to be conservative. Both of the newspapers here in Birmingham are conservative. The Atlanta Constitution is liberal, but most of the other publications around here are conservative.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:50 PM
This is a very laughable argument. TV and radio don't lean anywhere near the left. Just look at the corporations that own these medias...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

So corporate ownership is de facto proof of a conservative bias??

I doubt the main network anchors (ABC, NBC, CBS) would identify themselves on the right.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:48 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:50 PM
How much say do you honestly think anchors have a say in what they are reporting. Yes maybe the individuals get to place their opinions in the piece somehow, but who do you think oversees and gives the OK to air?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

A: That cigar-smoke filled room of old, fat white conservative men???

Actually, as with the international media, it is all a matter of perspective. However, I very much doubt that Dean's "liberal" label is part of a right wing corporate conspiracy.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Exclude Fox from your analysis and the ball shifts well to the left.

Besides, is there anyone here who relies on Fox for their news??

You can't exlude Fox since they are the number 1 Cable news network on TV. So I guess that answers your question, a lot of people seem to get their news from Fox.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Pretty much the only liberal slant I see in the US media is some elitist print media and university lecture halls.

The major networks are as conservative as it gets, of course to varying degrees. Even the ones with a more liberal slant would not be considered to be liberal anywhere else in the western world.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #25
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Pretty much the only liberal slant I see in the US media is some elitist print media and university lecture halls.

The major networks are as conservative as it gets, of course to varying degrees. Even the ones with a more liberal slant would not be considered to be liberal anywhere else in the western world.

Even the ones Dreadsox mentioned are controlled by their ownership that very much have a stake in the next elections. That is if they want to keep their hard payed, err earned, tax cuts and relaxation of FCC rules.

GE, Murdock, and Aol-Time Warner have all given the majority of their camapign contributions heavily in favor of the Republican Party. I don't think they would hurt their cash cow.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish

You are ....... Insane.

Thanks for the intelligent response. Is this your professional opinion? Are you licensed to make such a determination?

I stated an opinion. Relative to the US politics, the MEDIA in my opinion is not Right of Center. You may not agree with it, but that does not make me insane.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Thanks for the intelligent response. Is this your professional opinion? Are you licensed to make such a determination?

I stated an opinion. Relative to the US politics, the MEDIA in my opinion is not Right of Center. You may not agree with it, but that does not make me insane.
Actually I did have an intelligent response, you just didn't duplicate my entire post.

Your opinion is that media is slanted to the left. I conceded that print media is usually but not always a bit left of center. BUT, the two main sources that people get their news and political information (TV and Radio) is WAY to the right. The top 3 radio programs nationwide are Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and Hannity. And now Ann Coulter getting in the mix, so I guess it will be the top 4 pretty soon. The top 3 programs on Cable TV news are on FoxNews.

So yes, to me it is insane to think that the media that most people consume is to the left. But hey, think what you want.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:36 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Actually I did have an intelligent response, you just didn't duplicate my entire post.
If calling someone "insane" is the start of an intelligent response I apologize. I stopped reading there......I thought name-calling was aginst the rules of the forum.

Carry on have fun. It will be more fun without diverse opinions around. We can all come here and pat ourselves on the back for agreeing.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:41 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The top 3 radio programs nationwide are Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and Hannity. And now Ann Coulter getting in the mix, so I guess it will be the top 4 pretty soon. The top 3 programs on Cable TV news are on FoxNews.
You are only arguing about the popularity of certain cable news sources. The breadth of news sources are tend to be left of center.

Of course, perspective is everything in this argument. For some, Fox is too liberal. For others, everything is corporation controlled conservative dialogue.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You are only arguing about the popularity of certain cable news sources. The breadth of news sources are tend to be left of center.
It does not really matter how right wing FOX is or how popular they are. The combined audience of the other networks and their programming far surpasess FOX.

NPR, as well, is definitely left of center. I listen because I think they do a darn good job.