John Fitzgerald Kennedy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

What quote of his or program that he started do you find most inspiring?

I will be back with my answer later.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 PM
I don't know exactly of a quote or even a program - all I know is that I was three years old when John F. Kennedy was killed. I was on the way to the corner drugstore with my Mom (as we did most days) and when we arrived there was a guy selling newspapers "Extra Extra" and there were men and women crying. I can actually remember this moment - in fact it is my very first memory other than when my baby sister was born about a year earlier. To this day I can see all the people in front of the drugstore - all in long winter coats and fedora's (very 50's looking - actually the 50's did end that day...and what was to become known as the "60's" began). It was a very strange moment in time - much like September 11, 2001. I often wonder what would have happened if he were not killed.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm going to state the obvious and say Peace Corps. I can't tell you how many Africans I met during my service that spoke reverently of Kennedy. He still serves as a goodwill ambassador for the USA after all these years.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I'm going to state the obvious and say Peace Corps. I can't tell you how many Africans I met during my service that spoke reverently of Kennedy. He still serves as a goodwill ambassador for the USA after all these years.
I figured this would be your pick...

Maybe I never told you this, but I want to thank you for making the sacrafice you did.

You are the goodwill ambassador.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Aww, now you're making me blush.

To be quite honest, it felt less like a sacrifice than you might think. I think I got the most out of the experience...much more than I gave. Wouldn't trade those years of my life for anything.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Growing up Catholic - I just about worshipped JFK.

While it may not be a program or initiative - but his handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis was a work of genious (and good ol Irish luck).

I also loved his Profiles in Courage books.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
all I know is that I was three years old when John F. Kennedy was killed.
Me too and it's also my earliest memory.

I walked through Daley Plaza on this night in 1983, the 20th anniversary. I was expecting it to be somber but not quiet. Not in Dallas. But it was, with little traffic on the streets and the few people milling about weren't talking. They were too busy remembering.
I hope we'll always remember.

Quote:
"We choose to go to the moon."
Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Peace Corps. Space program.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe—the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm an idealist without illusions.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

^ that's very nicely said, and a wonderful distinction
Old 11-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth.

John F. Kennedy, October 26, 1963

I would say the Alliance for Progress is the program that most interested me in college. In contratst to the dealings with the nations South of the border after the Kennedy administration, I would say it was America's best shot at making friends with Central and South America through a peace corps kind of diplomacy, verses the Diplomacy of the Nixon/Reagan years.

I would also say that I am not a fan of the way he handled the solution to the Bay of Pigs. I thought the blockade was brilliant. The back door deal he cut with the Russians, and withheld from the American people was wrong, only because he did not want it public because it would have hurt his reelection chances.

The Space program was probably one of the best things to happen in the name of science here in the US. I admire him for that.

Bobby does not get enough credit for the way Civil Rights went down. He was at times, running the show I think. IN my studies I felt that John was always the politician, thinking about gaining power, and keeping it. While Bobby was more the conscience of the administration, looking to change the world. I think Bobby is the more interesting of the two, because he was so many things at different points in his political evolution. Early on the brash conservative anti communist, the anti mob lawyer......to the champion of Civil Rights. Seeing him speak about Martin Luther King's death, rips at my soul when I see it.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I've always preferred RFK because I felt he was the heart and soul of the duo. And because when he spoke, there was the feeling that he really believed what he was saying and further than that, he really believed that his fight was the right fight.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 07:01 PM
I have always preferred the gentle intensity of RFK to the more polished facade of JFK. The speech on the day of the MLK assassination is a good example. The Cape Town speech (a tiny ripple of hope) is another.

Oh, and what A_wanderer said. We could probably argue ad nauseum whether that promise was kept but it's still a nice sentiment.