John Edwards at the DNC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
Impressions of John Edwards after watching his speech tonight...

As a candidate for national political office, he's one of the most passionate speakers that I've ever heard. I liked the fact that he came across as though he actually believed what he was saying - a rare thing these days.

Of course I gave the :| face when he started talking about terrorism and terrorists ("You cannot run. You cannot hide. We will destroy you."). But I suppose that's how you have to speak to this conservative America if you're making a bid for the presidency. When people are motivated by fear, that is all they understand.

Kerry and Edwards' strategy -- when it comes to terrorism -- is to "out-tough-talk" the 4-headed warmongering beast presently leading our country (i.e., Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz). Unfortunately, as I've written here before, with his talk of building up the military and taking the fight to the terrorists, Kerry ends up sounding like Bush Lite. With respect to this issue, Kerry and Edwards are delivering their own brand of "moral clarity."

I am no where near deciding if I will vote for Kerry/Edwards. I very well may not vote for president at all.

I will say this though, I was very impressed with Edwards speech as it pertained to the economy/tax cuts, health care, education and racial equality. Very impressed.

I haven't heard speeches by a lot of these people before, and it's been interesting.

Bill Clintons speech the other day was front page news in newspapers here in Australia. It was fantastic, but obviously I've heard or read a hundred speeches from him. Edwards looked the goods as well, although I agree, their need to sprout all that pathetic "tough talk" is a shame, but I guess if they are going to get the votes of the fear/hate crowd off Bush then thats what they have to do.

I'm looking forward to Kerry's. I haven't seen or heard anything from him other than sound bites, never a full speech. If it's only 5% of Clintons the other day, than it's still 100 times better than anything I've ever heard from Bush.

I was happy to see that Kerry/Edwards aren't afraid to upset the top 2%, or as George W. Bush likes to call them, his "base."

Oh sure Edwards is good with his mouth. That's how he won a lot of lawsuits as a trial lawyer. I saw a report on his career on Primetime. He was one of those lawyers who was so good he never lost, even when he should have. Translation: fast talking, convincing, crooked politician with nice hair and a fake smile on his face.

So you'd rather have an unattractive vice president who lies badly?

dick_cheney4_rnc_day3.jpg

FOUR MORE YEARS!

I think you have to take convention speeches with a grain of salt, U2K. Of course it's a sales pitch. Of course it's something people want to hear. And I want to believe that they'll do the best they can to live up to that sales pitch, or I'll protest their actions and not re-elect them in 2008. Democracy at work.

Oh I do take them as a grain of salt. When I was a little kid I used to believe in them! I remember my family getting so excited over Carter in '76 and Reagan in '80. But now, I think it's all bullshit, written by spin doctors to be what they think their target audience wants to hear, read from a teleprompter and delivered like the true trial lawyers or actors they are. I put no faith in anything they say. Most of them don't even live up to it once they get into office anyway.

Then it's our job as the electorate to voice our dissatisfaction, and not re-elect them if they run for office again.

Back
Top Bottom