john c roberts supreme court

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They interviewed locals here about their reaction on the Chicago news. They had some guy who was a 'Conservative Activist' and he said he was proud of the appointment. That first and foremost would now like to see an overturn of Roe vs. Wade, then prayer put back in school, and then gay rights to be overturned.:|

Wow, is all I can say...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They interviewed locals here about their reaction on the Chicago news. They had some guy who was a 'Conservative Activist' and he said he was proud of the appointment. That first and foremost would now like to see an overturn of Roe vs. Wade, then prayer put back in school, and then gay rights to be overturned.:|

Wow, is all I can say...

Even if this nutter likes him now, Roberts couldn't get away with doing all that. Could he? COULD HE?

*shudders*

The Christian Taliban gives me nightmares. I wish the Supreme Court would ban them instead. :|

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, is all I can say...

:|...

That is disturbing.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, is all I can say...

I don't like this. I hope the "activist" is going overboard on the whole thing.

Justice O'Connor Wishes Her Replacement Was Woman

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has mixed feelings about President George W. Bush's choice of John Roberts to replace her.

O'Connor said the federal appeals court judge is "first rate," but she's disappointed that the nominee isn't a woman.

O'Connor said she's had an eye on Roberts since he was an advocate before the high court. She said she and the other justices were "enormously impressed with his scholarship and his skills."

But while she thinks he's "well qualified," she said she hates to see the percentage of women on the Supreme Court "drop by 50 percent."

1 woman alone is pretty damn sad.

Compare with Canada, which has 4/9 women on our Supreme Court, including a female Chief Justice.

nbcrusader said:
I thought O'Conner was against quotas :angry:

I don't she said anything about quotas, but just that she was dissapointed.

I think everyone should, our courts should be a representative of this country as a whole and it's not even close.

He is also an extremist in that he recently voted to allow military tribunals for gitmo prisoners and that the Geneva Conventions don't apply for Gitmo prisoners. I think this issue supersedes the others as the Court knocked down several Executive power grabs when O'Connor was on the bench.

no matter which way you lean politically, i think we can all agree that this isn't good news for American women.

I do indeed find it very disappointing that Bush couldn't have chosen a woman. I believe that some of the women who were mentioned as possible nominees were every bit as talented and qualified as Roberts.

And it does concern me that he does not seem to be a big defender of reproductive rights or of human rights in general.

That said, I think we could have probably done much worse. He seems to be a moderate, at least when compared with Scalia or Thomas, and despite my political leanings, I must admit that in a purely legal and academic sense, he is excellently qualified for the job.

We'll see what comes out of the confirmation hearings.

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a woman,but Ive been holding my breath for a woman president too. :wink:

I really hope he proves to be a moderate conservative.

Generally, yes, considering that the foremost male conservatives today seem to be calling for an end to reproductive rights (and we're not just talking abortion here) and a return to the days when a woman was either a wife and mother or an "old maid."

pax said:
Generally, yes, considering that the foremost male conservatives today seem to be calling for an end to reproductive rights (and we're not just talking abortion here)

Then what else are we talking about?

Access to birth control and emergency contraception (particularly for young women, poor women, alien women), access to reproductive health services even when they have nothing to do with abortion...

Here I'm thinking of laws or proposed laws allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill birth control or emergency contraception prescriptions, for example.

nbcrusader said:

:scratch:

Is the appointment of a conservative male defacto "bad news" for women???

reproductive rights aside -- and i do, of course, agree with Pax and find it a little amusing when uterus-free men try to regulate the contents of a woman's uterus -- i think that it's rather shameful that there's only one woman on the highest court in the land that is most influential part of the government when it comes to the messier cultural laws that we all get so upset about.

It would be very interesting if only women could decide (vote?) on reproductive rights,
i. e., abortion, birth control, RU486, right to refuse to sell such, etc.

My primary concern is with taking care of American women who already here and dealing with the repercussions of unfair and unnecessarily restrictive legislation (primarily dreamed up, crafted, and passed into law, of course, by...straight white males).

the distraction about reproductive rights
is serving the administration well.

he is the dream pick for corporate america - chamber of commerce groups, also for the administration’s troubling executive power grab.
these cases will most likely be coming before the court in the years ahead.

All that said,

his confirmation is fait accompli

I predict he will get well over 80 votes to confirm.

The attention should be put back

On Rove and the Administration’s cover–up, obstruction of justice.
This is real, “high crimes and misdemeanors”.

Back
Top Bottom