john c roberts supreme court - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Heh...I was reading the Democrats' reaction to his nomination. It's a lot like my reaction: kind of an implicit "I don't know much about him, but, outwardly, he doesn't seem to be as rabid as Scalia or other recently filibustered appointees." Right now, it's more of a cautious "wait-and-see" approach.
Yeah, same here. I'm frankly not that outraged by the nomination. We'll have to wait and see what his philosophy is during the questioning of course, but his quote on Roe v Wade being the law of the land is promising to me. Of course you never know which "way" a judge will go, and that goes both ways. I just think, at this point, comparisons to Bork are a little overboard.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Ah, maybe you're right.

At least I hope you're right.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Ah, maybe you're right.

At least I hope you're right.
I hope I'm right too...frankly I see him turning out to be more conservative than he appears, but I don't see how he could not get approved as it is, unless there's something I'm missing.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, the majority of the U.S. re-elected Bush... knowing what we were going to get for the next 4 years.

So this is not a surprise to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 PM
this guy seems pretty solid

i don't expect him to get derailed

the new court will be more conservative

Clarence Thomas said "i do not evolve"

i do not expect Roberts to evolve like Warren or Brennen

i do not expect him to flat out over turn roe v wade, but they will keep trimming around the edges
W's base should be satisfied

especially if liberals put up a fuss over this confirmation

i do not expect a filibuster
he is not extreme enough and his credentials are solid

When Renquist steps down
look for Gonzales to get the nod.
This white male conservative is for the base
Old 07-19-2005, 08:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Roberts has taken positions in cases involving free speech and religious liberty that endanger those rights. Abortion rights groups allege that Roberts is hostile to women's reproductive freedom and cite a brief he co-wrote in 1990 that suggested the Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 high court decision that legalized abortion.
If you manage to dig just below the surface of the advocacy group statement, you would realize that Roberts is not "hostile to women's reproductive freedom" and he has already passed this questioning in his prior confirmation hearing.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
"Reproductive freedom" seems to be the latest liberal euphemism for abortion on demand. One wonders where personal responsibility comes into "reproductive freedom".
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess the biggest question is whether he injects his personal opinions in his work? Writing a brief as a lawyer and being a judge are two different positions. Again, I hope the Democrats do their job and ask the relevant questions.

Melon
Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If you manage to dig just below the surface of the advocacy group statement, you would realize that Roberts is not "hostile to women's reproductive freedom" and he has already passed this questioning in his prior confirmation hearing.

i think that is what my next post says

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

07-19-2005 05:16 PM -

In his defense, Roberts told senators during his 2003 confirmation hearing that he would be guided by legal precedent. "Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent."

along with my last
Quote:
i do not expect him to flat out over turn roe v wade, but they will keep trimming around the edges
W's base should be satisfied
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Heh...I was reading the Democrats' reaction to his nomination. It's a lot like my reaction: kind of an implicit "I don't know much about him, but, outwardly, he doesn't seem to be as rabid as Scalia or other recently filibustered appointees." Right now, it's more of a cautious "wait-and-see" approach.

I hope that Democrats take the time to ask him all kinds of questions, and I hope that Roberts answers them directly, without skirting the questions like some of Bush's appointees like to do. If he starts avoiding questions, that's when I'm going to start expecting a filibuster.

Melon
Roberts is a Washington insider and has been sought by the Reagan, Bush Sr. and Clinton administrations for his legal acumen.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Roberts is a Washington insider and has been sought by the Reagan, Bush Sr. and Clinton administrations for his legal acumen.
I've been approaching this cautiously, because I don't know much about him. This is the same position that I took regarding Wolfowitz's appointment to the World Bank.

I'm trying to look at this through non-partisan lenses.

Melon
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Well, at least he's not Clarence Thomas. I'll reserve any further judgment for now.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know enough about Roberts to formulate an opinion yet, although he appears to be a bit too conservative for my taste. Not that I'm surprised or anything.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's another opinion on him:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/...bin/index.html

Quote:
Abortion. I think [with] this, as always with the Supreme Court, Roe v. Wade will be the central subject of discussion in the confirmation hearings. It's very likely there will be a lot of questioning of John Roberts about this brief he signed when he was in the solicitor general's office saying Roe v. Wade should be overturned.

He was representing a client at that point. The client was the first President Bush, who wanted Roe v. Wade overturned. The question will be, how much was John Roberts expressing his own views or just his client's?
Melon
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I didn't know his client was Bush, Sr. for that case. Wow.

Although he was quoted as saying Roe v Wade is the law of the land, that was when he was on the lower courts. Now that he's in a position to actually change that (and I do think he'll be confirmed), I'd be interested to see how dedicated he is to "upholding the law of the land."

Even though he was only acting as a lawyer when he made the statements about overturning it, abortion is a pretty divisive issue, and I've never met someone who doesn't have an opinion on it. Because it's so divisive, I can't see a person who personally supports Roe v Wade rushing to defend a person who's trying to strike it down.

But again that's just the feeling I get from the guy. I still think he'll be approved and honestly I see no reason why he wouldn't be.