Jesus walked on Ice? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Maybe he was clubbing baby seals at the same time

As you read this e-mail, Canadian fishermen are clubbing and shooting to death thousands of baby seals for their fur. Last week, The Humane Society of the United States was in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, documenting the first phase of Canada’s annual commercial seal hunt. We were there to expose this cruelty to the world as part of our campaign to stop the hunt once and for all.

Today, I want to update you on the dramatic events that have unfolded during the first weeks of the hunt.

Update from the Ice
While in the icy waters of the Gulf, my team of observers and members of the media riding in our boats were continually harassed by sealers. Here is just a glimpse of what our dedicated team of experts witnessed and endured:

*Warning: This video contains some graphic images

The ProtectSeals Team catches Canadian fishermen in acts of aggression against both seals and humans.
*Warning: This video contains some graphic images

* On the second day of the hunt, a sealing boat rammed one of our small inflatable boats, forcing it onto the ice, damaging the propeller, and endangering the lives of all aboard.

* Later in the day, two other sealing vessels repeatedly charged at our inflatable boats, putting all observers at risk of capsizing. When the captain of The HSUS’s nearby vessel twice radioed the Canadian Coast Guard -- which was patrolling the waters ostensibly to ensure the safety of both sealers and observers -- for help, his calls were ignored.

* After a sealing vessel chased down one of our small boats and forced it to maneuver quickly to avoid being crushed into the ice, officers of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans emerged from the vessel’s cockpit and arrested our team for allegedly violating the terms of our observation permits by supposedly coming within 10 meters of a sealing vessel. Seven legally permitted observers, including representatives of The HSUS and one media representative, were detained, and our footage of the hunt was immediately confiscated.

* Although no charges have been filed against the observers, Canada's Minister of Fisheries and Oceans has announced that The HSUS will not be allowed to observe the rest of the seal hunt. Right now we are exploring all legal options available.

But here's the real tragedy in this story. Yesterday, the hunt in the Gulf resumed, and it is estimated another 70,000 seals will be clubbed and shot to death over the next few days in this second phase of the hunt. Seals are dying at this moment by the tens of thousands, just for their fur. And by the time this year’s hunt closes in May, more than 325,000 baby seals will be dead in total, each one sacrificed for the relatively few dollars furriers pay for their skins.
lame. seriously, go talk to the newfies and see what they have to say.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Clubbing seals for fur is just as fine as whaling for meat.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
If there was an abundance of seals then nobody would have an objection to it, but many species are endangered, it has nothing to do with cuteness.
There IS an overabundance of seals!

That's part of why they're culling them - because the seal population is so out of control it's started eating fish out of fresh water reserves.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Clubbing seals for fur is just as fine as whaling for meat.
is whaling a bad thing when there is an overabundance?
From what i understand, there are certain types that have recovered very well and are even overpopulated

as with Seals, i think the year old notion of these species being on the edge of extinction has set itself so firm in our minds, that any changes in that situation does not get to us anymore
Old 04-09-2006, 04:25 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

There IS an overabundance of seals!

That's part of why they're culling them - because the seal population is so out of control it's started eating fish out of fresh water reserves.
In that case that some seals are a ecological problem, they should be killed just like any other animal pest, eg. fox, various rodents. Anyone who objects to it and distinguishes say, a fox from a seal purely by the level of cuteness is an idiot.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #36
New Yorker

Culling may be needed but there are more hum
Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
EDIT : LOL just realised that this has nothing to do with Jesus walking on ice. Only a FYM interference thread could start off about Jesus walking on ice and end up about steamlining killing processes for various animals used for food/clothing.
A long existing conflict. After all, God clothed Adam and Eve in fur after the fall.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #38
War Child

hmmm - as an atheist i never paid attention to details like that

but how come they are always depicted with fig leafs? was under the impression that they had no cloth at all.. were just naked.. but artists could not show that (hence the leaf)
actually i think i remember hearing that in my religious class (that i attended in my earlier years out of pure interest)
Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

A long existing conflict. After all, God clothed Adam and Eve in fur after the fall.

but i'm sure they both would have enjoyed Gore-Tex parkas much more.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by a-mole
hmmm - as an atheist i never paid attention to details like that

but how come they are always depicted with fig leafs? was under the impression that they had no cloth at all.. were just naked.. but artists could not show that (hence the leaf)
actually i think i remember hearing that in my religious class (that i attended in my earlier years out of pure interest)
Upon realizing they were naked, they used leaves for covering. After God spoke to them (including the first propecy regarding Jesus), He made clothes for them from animal skins.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 AM   #41
War Child

ah ok
so that came later
thanks