Jesus loves america - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Jesus loves america

Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Some commentary would be nice, for those of us who can't open videos... oh nevermind.

Yep, Jesus loves America!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Some commentary would be nice, for those of us who can't open videos... oh nevermind.

Yep, Jesus loves America!
It is critical
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Jesus doesn't love the Ku Klux Klan. The KKK is a terrible organization.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Jesus doesn't love the Ku Klux Klan. The KKK is a terrible organization.
Terrible, well so is the bible.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

Terrible, well so is the bible.
How then, do you listen to a band that draws their biggest inspiration from it? I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just curious! Do you mean The Bible itself is terrible, or that many things committed in it's name or the name of God are?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Look, God doesn't love America. It's ok. In fact, I'm sure the nations are just a tool -- a part of the plan. Bush is a tool, and I'm sure Hilary will be a tool too.

Soon, the Christians will get over the whole God and America fantasy. Give to Ceasar what is Ceaser's!

But the day that we decide we should outlaw the Bible because it is "delusional" or what was the term used "repulsive", is the day we've lost all that is good about America.

"America is an idea, but it's an idea that brings with it some baggage, like power brings responsibility. It's an idea that brings with it equality, but equality even though it's the highest calling, is the hardest to reach. The idea that anything is possible, that's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of America."
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

How then, do you listen to a band that draws their biggest inspiration from it? I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just curious! Do you mean The Bible itself is terrible, or that many things committed in it's name or the name of God are?
I don't agree with U2 in their "be LIE ves", but they still making good music.
But I think that there is so much bad things in the bible about homo,bi sexuals, women...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Look, God doesn't love America. It's ok. In fact, I'm sure the nations are just a tool -- a part of the plan.

Soon, the Christians will get over the whole God and America fantasy.
Exactly, God doesn't love nations. He loves the people in them. Considering He loves every person on earth equally, we definitely don't have special perks here in the U.S.

The massive erections some Christians get from deluding themselves into thinking we've got some kind of special blessing gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it's not the truth. The only thing God is interested in is truth.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Exactly, God doesn't love nations. He loves the people in them. Considering He loves every person on earth equally, we definitely don't have special perks here in the U.S.

The massive erections some Christians get from deluding themselves into thinking we've got some kind of special blessing gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it's not the truth. The only thing God is interested in is truth.
How can a thing that dosent exist love something. Give me one proof that he does exist. To say "but there is no proof that god dosnt exist" is like saying the same with Santa Claus.
As I wrote before:
"There is NO evidence for god and jesus. But there is evidence for a lot of what the bible and religious people deny"

And how do you know that the people who wrote the bible spoke to God? And if they lied, how do you know that God loves people?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

It's the same cop out, the claim that there is an entity of absolute truth that has given mankind revealed truth (directly inspiring it, creating it, telling it to an illiterate Arabian merchant through an emmisary etc.) must either be taken literally, in which case it falls flat when matched up against reality, or be accepted to have human caused flaws, which make it worthless (for if absolute revealed truth is subjective how can it remain the absolute truth).

The morality is full of shit, the forgiveness that God gives people without consent of their victims, the punishment of people for infractions like not believing in God or their own biology. People can act in a good way without religious guidance, and when they act in a bad way it doesn't demolish any claims of moral superiority, unlike the truly faithful acting in ways to furthur their mindset; when that happens (again and again) it must be written off as (yet another) abberation from true faith. People doing evil things because they are people doesn't demand excuses like followers of "good" religion doing evil things seem to.

And the absence of evidence for specific claims matched by contrary evidence to explain a world without the need for a supernatural divine entity puts another stake through it's heart.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Refugee

Peterrr,

I don't think it was the Youtube Posters intent to prove that God exists or not, but to prove that those who follow or believe that God exists are 'delusional' and that the Bible is 'Repulsive'. I think that was his point.

I'm debating that by trying to clarify the message and intent of Jesus Christ, which is what I posted in your other thread, but since this thread seems to be the one you are responding to, I'll post it here again:

Quote:
Lol. Ok, I'll bite.

You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.

^ That is the beauty of Christ -- in reality (to many Christians) or in concept (to many Christians). God turned the contract upside down.

The old contract was: keep the law -- crazy stuff like sacrificing sheep, not lusting after someone in your mind, and cutting your hands off. Hmmm.. man, that's impossible!

The new contract is: Since it's clear that the law cannot be kept (were we setup by God, or did we get the concept wrong?) This never ending battle of keeping the law is wearing out us, and God (I'd presume).

Call in the new contract: In keeping with old contract symbology -- I will make one sacrifice (reversing the concept) for you. But before I do, I need to make clear what I really meant. That is, the most important law, the intent of my commandements, is for you to love one another, treat each other with respect, and to be just with each other -- by doing this, you show love and respect for me.

Some people buy into the physical realities of Jesus and the apostles, some people buy into the concepts.

I'm not going to comment on the guy in the video, other than, I think it is very, very dangerous to declare the removal of the Bible from society, and the outcast of Christians due to their state of delusion. If that were to ever happen in America, it would be a sad, sad day indeed.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
It's the same cop out, the claim that there is an entity of absolute truth that has given mankind revealed truth
A_Wanderer -- Look, no one is asking you to believe any of this right? So no biggie.

You don't have to appreciate any of it, but what I do appreciate is the 180 degrees that Jesus turned on Judiasm. It was, and is still, revolutionary to the concept of "doing good" to make a superior being happy. It's a very cool concept that this 'superior being' would clarify the message (love your fellow human), which is beautiful, and one that I can definitely get behind.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

To make a superior being happy may have been the new part but people engaging in altrusitic behavior reaches much furthur back in time and has popped up as a philosophy in populations far removed from the Middle East independently.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:23 PM
I think someone should stick to 'Bono's voice' threads...