Jesus Is Not Speaking To The Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I can't imagine changing one's name to Jesus Christ, that's an awful lot to live up to :wink:

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Even Jesus Christ can't circumvent the rules for getting a driver's license in West Virginia.

Attempts to prove his name really is Christ have led the man born as Peter Robert Phillips Jr. through a lengthy legal battle and a recent victory in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

"This all started with him expressing his faith and his respect and love for Jesus Christ," attorney A.P. Pishevar told The Associated Press. "Now he needs to document it for legal reasons."

Described by his attorney as a white-haired businessman in his mid-50s, Christ is moving to West Virginia to enjoy a slower lifestyle. He bought property near Lost River, about 100 miles west of Washington, and has a U.S. passport, Social Security card and Washington driver's license bearing the name Jesus Christ.

But he still falls short of West Virginia title and license transfer requirements because his Florida birth certificate has his original name on it and he has been unable to obtain an official name change in Washington.

"We just need official documentation that that's his name," said Doug Stump, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. "He will be treated no different than anybody else."

Christ applied for the legal name change in May 2003, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy because "taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people."

In his appeal, Christ's attorney argued that Phillips had changed his name to Jesus Christ 15 years earlier, and "has been using the name since then without incident."

The appeals court last month sent the name-change proposal back to the lower court, saying some required hearings in the case had not been held.

Any comment from the man in the middle of this legal tussle?

"Christ is not speaking to the press at this time," Pishevar said.

Reminds me of the Cosby skit where he thought his name was Jesus Christ and his brother's was g#ddamnit when he was growing up as a kid.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Reminds me of the Cosby skit where he thought his name was Jesus Christ and his brother's was g#ddamnit when he was growing up as a kid.
His brother thought his name was "Dammit"

Man, what are they going to say at this guy's funeral?

"We gather here today to remember Jesus Christ . . .Now let's pray to our Lord, Jesus Christ. . ." :|

MrsSpringsteen said:
Christ applied for the legal name change in May 2003, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy because "taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people."

I agree with that ruling.

Melon

I don't know what's the problem.... a lot of guys here have those names ( "Jesús" or "Cristo") and nobody gives a fuck about that, it doesn't offend anybody, even when Catholics are the mayority here. that name is so common that we have a nickname for it: "Chucho" :).

Last edited:
Muggsy said:
I don't know what's the problem.... a lot of guys here have those names ( "Jesús" or "Cristo") and nobody gives a fuck about that, it doesn't offend anybody, even when Catholics are the mayority here. that name is so common that we have a nickname for it: "Chucho" :).

My father in law is named Jesus...I'm not offended :wink:

Muggsy said:

I think they're objecting to his last name in conjunction with "Jesus."

Melon

there are people who use both names "Jesus Cristo". "Cristo" is a lastname too.

Maybe I don't see any problem with that cuz we use a lot of Catholic names here. If you name a child " Jesus" or "María" it means that you are putting that child under their protection, or maybe you just like those names...

Anyway... i think is his problem...if he wants to name himself "jesus" because he respects and loves Jesus he has the right to do it. it would be a real problem if he thinks he is the real one I guess :shrug:

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Dad: "Dammit, get in out of the rain!!!"
Son: "But Dad - I'm Jesus Christ!"

:lmao: :up:

I'm aware that there are people named Jesus and people with the last name of Christ. I think it's stupid when someone, with a different birth name, deliberately takes the name "Jesus Christ", however. That's asking for trouble.

:lmao:...I love that Cosby skit!

Anywho, regarding the name...interesting choice for a name change, but personally, if he wants to have that for a name...:shrug:. I don't see the problem. If someone gets offended by it or becomes violent as a result, that's their issue to deal with, not his.

It would be awfully hard to prove that that is indeed your name, though, that'd be a bit of a pain-that's the only reason I could think of to not choose that name.

Angela

DaveC said:
Reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode....

That was a great episode.

We've had a host of wild names over the years at work including but not limited to:

Santa Claus
Kris Kringle
Vanilla Bean
Mr. Black
Fok Yu
Bak Up

and many more I can't recall. A coworker used to keep a list, but I forgot many. I am pretty sure there were a few gods on the list too.

funny aside - when I was training pharmacy techs at walgreens I had a girl call out over the loudspeaker that Jesus' prescription was ready in the pharmacy and she pronounced it like gee-zuss not hay-zeus. That was a probably a little disconcerting for those who believe in Christ's ability to raise the dead and heal lepers but just couldn't seem to shake that nasty case of athlete's foot :eyebrow:

Last edited:
I use to work at a bank in a Hispanic part of town. One of my co-workers, very nice, and very un-Hispanic, was having trouble cashing a check for a customer who was trying to cash it for his brother or friend named Jesus (Hay-Soos). The teller, serious as can be, told the customer, "I'm sorry, but I can't cash the check until Jesus (Gee-zuz) comes." Poor guy...probably still waiting in line to cash the check.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
I use to work at a bank in a Hispanic part of town. One of my co-workers, very nice, and very un-Hispanic, was having trouble cashing a check for a customer who was trying to cash it for his brother or friend named Jesus (Hay-Soos). The teller, serious as can be, told the customer, "I'm sorry, but I can't cash the check until Jesus (Gee-zuz) comes." Poor guy...probably still waiting in line to cash the check.

haha....

what is a "no fly" list??????

YellowKite said:

The no fly list is a list of people that are not allowed to fly on commercial airlines since 9/11. It's suppossed to be a list of people who present a national security risk if they are a passenger.

Like Cat Stevens. :)

Back
Top Bottom