Jesse Ventura not running for re-election - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Big Grin Jesse Ventura not running for re-election

Thank you GOD!!!! Seems like the plague will be lifted.

Ventura says he won't seek re-election
Publishing date: 06-18-2002 11:13 AM

ST. PAUL - Gov. Jesse Ventura announced Tuesday he will not seek a second term, saying his heart is no longer in the job.
"I am not seeking re-election," he said during a live broadcast on Minnesota Public Radio late this morning. "I will not run again."

Ventura also said he was tired of attacks on his family. His announcement came amid reports that his son, Tyrel, used the official governor's residence for weekend parties throughout his term.

"I am going back into the private sector. I will always protect my family first."

Ventura said his wife Terry did not want him to run again. He added that she didn't want him to run for governor four years ago, either.

Ventura said he made his decision a few weeks ago but didn't want it to overshadow his recent trade trip to China.

If Ventura doesn't change his mind before a July 16 filing deadline, it almost certainly will mark the end of Minnesota's three-way government. He was elected as a member of the Reform Party, though he later split for a new party, the Independence Party.

While Ventura's approval rating had dipped in recent months, he still would have been a formidable opponent. His departure leaves Democrat Roger Moe, the longtime state senator, and Republican Tim Pawlenty, the House majority leader, as the leading gubernatorial candidates.

Ventura never had more than one Independence Party member in the Legislature, and his 3 1/2 years were marked by scuffles with Democrats, Republicans and reporters, whom he branded "jackals."

He presided over four legislative sessions, including three in which the state's budget had a surplus and he directed refunds paid in what he dubbed "Jesse Checks." In 2001, he and Republicans crafted sweeping reforms of the state's property tax.

But last year's recession pushed the state's budget into deficit, and legislators in the most recent session rejected Ventura's remedy that included tax increases and spending cuts.

The policy clashes were coupled with attacks on Ventura's personality and outside activities, including a TV announcing job with the short-lived XFL football league.

Most recently, former employees at the governor's mansion criticized Ventura's son for having parties and making a mess at the facility.

"It's difficult to do these public service jobs when you know your family could be assassinated by the media at any point, deservedly or undeservedly," Ventura said.

There is still a chance, albeit slim, that Ventura could serve another term. After a caller to the radio program said that she planned to write in Ventura's name on the ballot, Ventura said he would serve the term if he won as a write-in candidate.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:23 PM

lmfao!

he anounced it today as if:

a. we didn't know it was already coming

b. it was something monumental

c. amidst family shame

d. we cared.

yeah...so his 21 year old son throws wild parties in the mansion that is now closed...he hasn't governed worth shit lately...erm...i mean EVER.

yes, it will be nice that he's out...but i'm a little fearful as to who will be in. i can vote now, so no doubt i shall be participating in the election.

does anyone know who's running...they sort of anounce them then say they're not running...then anounce them...and say they aren't running...yeah. so who do we have?

Old 06-18-2002, 08:28 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

what a crying shame. Now I won't get to NOT vote for him again.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Big Grin

YAY!!!

Back when uncle Jesse was running for office my Dad kept asking me why I wasn't going to vote for him. I said, "I can't vote for a cartoon character." He quit asking me after that.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:18 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh well.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Oh well.
heh, i can tell you don't live here....that and the bama thing...
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

No, not that; I actually followed his term quite closely at first. After about 12 months, though, his antics became unbearable and I found our own governor to be just as entertaining ("If God had meant for little boys to wear earrings, He would have made them that way" and other douchetastic quotes).

Fortunately, I think our governor has pretty much sealed his re-election fate as well.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ... And your governor is a bloody wanker who says he will fix the budget without tax cuts ... instead he is taking money away from the counties so counties will be forced to cut services. And Governor Wanker can avoid cutting the fat at the state level (ie souvenir coins with his likeness).
Old 06-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #9
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Oh well.
Yes it is too bad 'Jack "The Black Attack" Hammonds' and the rest of the XFL didn't turn out.

I loved hearing him mix up the names.

L.Unplugged
Old 06-19-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ... And your governor is a bloody wanker who says he will fix the budget without tax cuts ... instead he is taking money away from the counties so counties will be forced to cut services. And Governor Wanker can avoid cutting the fat at the state level (ie souvenir coins with his likeness).
Like Tommy Thompson was better?
Old 06-19-2002, 07:18 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

you rebel you! someone inhabiting minnesota rocking on wisconsin?! never!

coughcough dont you hate it when the wind blows the wrong way and you can smell 'sconsin smell? coughcough

Old 06-20-2002, 10:25 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

You're right he wasn't any better.

There are three excellent Democratic candidates that have stepped forward and a recent survey said that 43% of the people of Wisconsin would prefer someone other than Scott McCallum to be governor (30% wanted to see him re-elected).
Old 06-20-2002, 04:30 PM   #13
Refugee

It's true that one man can't make a difference. I am very well-read on Ventura's stances on the issues and almost completely agree with him on everything. His problem was evidently the failure to get cooperation with either the Reps or Democrats.

Jesse Ventura should be given more respect from everyone involve in this discussion. He proved that democracy is still alive in America, and that you don't have to "sell-out" to get the public's following.

The recession may be blamed on Ventura, but we know he has nothing to do with it. It's a collective responsiblity and should be looked upon as such.

I hope he campaigns for whoever runs in his place. He seems to be a headstrong, egomaniac at times, so who knows if he'll even do that, but I figure he'll help the party as much as he can.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:56 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ...
Yeah...ours was $2 billion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Jesse Ventura should be given more respect from everyone involve in this discussion. He proved that democracy is still alive in America, and that you don't have to "sell-out" to get the public's following.

The recession may be blamed on Ventura, but we know he has nothing to do with it. It's a collective responsiblity and should be looked upon as such.

...He seems to be a headstrong, egomaniac at times...
Very good points, Dano.

I have to say I'm glad he won't be our governor again, but he did some things very well. He's just been too thin-skinned, loud-mouthed, and unable to build consensus with the legislature.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:20 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

so norm coleman's office calls me up today:

guy: can you vote?

me: well, i'm 18, that says i can.

guy: who you voting for for senate?

me: uhh, who you want me to vote fer?

guy: norm coleman. are you a republican?

me: why should i be?

guy: there are too many reasons to tell you in the time i have.

me: wanna go out to lunch?

guy: (lol) no, i just wanted to let you know that we want coleman to work in the senate, support bush, and get some fiscal responsibility in washington.

me: uhm, ok

guy: if i sent you an envelope, do you think you could spare twenty, maybe twent-five dollars to support coleman?

me: if i send him $25, will he pay for my tuition?

guy: no.

me: uhm, then no. but he can have my consideration for a vote.

guy: ok, have a nice day.

i looooooooove telemarketers.