Jesse Ventura not running for re-election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Thank you GOD!!!! Seems like the plague will be lifted.

Ventura says he won't seek re-election
Publishing date: 06-18-2002 11:13 AM

ST. PAUL - Gov. Jesse Ventura announced Tuesday he will not seek a second term, saying his heart is no longer in the job.
"I am not seeking re-election," he said during a live broadcast on Minnesota Public Radio late this morning. "I will not run again."

Ventura also said he was tired of attacks on his family. His announcement came amid reports that his son, Tyrel, used the official governor's residence for weekend parties throughout his term.

"I am going back into the private sector. I will always protect my family first."

Ventura said his wife Terry did not want him to run again. He added that she didn't want him to run for governor four years ago, either.

Ventura said he made his decision a few weeks ago but didn't want it to overshadow his recent trade trip to China.

If Ventura doesn't change his mind before a July 16 filing deadline, it almost certainly will mark the end of Minnesota's three-way government. He was elected as a member of the Reform Party, though he later split for a new party, the Independence Party.

While Ventura's approval rating had dipped in recent months, he still would have been a formidable opponent. His departure leaves Democrat Roger Moe, the longtime state senator, and Republican Tim Pawlenty, the House majority leader, as the leading gubernatorial candidates.

Ventura never had more than one Independence Party member in the Legislature, and his 3 1/2 years were marked by scuffles with Democrats, Republicans and reporters, whom he branded "jackals."

He presided over four legislative sessions, including three in which the state's budget had a surplus and he directed refunds paid in what he dubbed "Jesse Checks." In 2001, he and Republicans crafted sweeping reforms of the state's property tax.

But last year's recession pushed the state's budget into deficit, and legislators in the most recent session rejected Ventura's remedy that included tax increases and spending cuts.

The policy clashes were coupled with attacks on Ventura's personality and outside activities, including a TV announcing job with the short-lived XFL football league.

Most recently, former employees at the governor's mansion criticized Ventura's son for having parties and making a mess at the facility.

"It's difficult to do these public service jobs when you know your family could be assassinated by the media at any point, deservedly or undeservedly," Ventura said.

There is still a chance, albeit slim, that Ventura could serve another term. After a caller to the radio program said that she planned to write in Ventura's name on the ballot, Ventura said he would serve the term if he won as a write-in candidate.

lmfao!

he anounced it today as if:

a. we didn't know it was already coming

b. it was something monumental

c. amidst family shame

d. we cared.

yeah...so his 21 year old son throws wild parties in the mansion that is now closed...he hasn't governed worth shit lately...erm...i mean EVER.

yes, it will be nice that he's out...but i'm a little fearful as to who will be in. i can vote now, so no doubt i shall be participating in the election.

does anyone know who's running...they sort of anounce them then say they're not running...then anounce them...and say they aren't running...yeah. so who do we have?

YAY!!!

Back when uncle Jesse was running for office my Dad kept asking me why I wasn't going to vote for him. I said, "I can't vote for a cartoon character." He quit asking me after that.

No, not that; I actually followed his term quite closely at first. After about 12 months, though, his antics became unbearable and I found our own governor to be just as entertaining ("If God had meant for little boys to wear earrings, He would have made them that way" and other douchetastic quotes).

Fortunately, I think our governor has pretty much sealed his re-election fate as well.

~U2Alabama

At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ... And your governor is a bloody wanker who says he will fix the budget without tax cuts ... instead he is taking money away from the counties so counties will be forced to cut services. And Governor Wanker can avoid cutting the fat at the state level (ie souvenir coins with his likeness).:madspit:

JessicaAnn said:
At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ... And your governor is a bloody wanker who says he will fix the budget without tax cuts ... instead he is taking money away from the counties so counties will be forced to cut services. And Governor Wanker can avoid cutting the fat at the state level (ie souvenir coins with his likeness).:madspit:

Like Tommy Thompson was better?:ohmy:

zonelistener said:

you rebel you! someone inhabiting minnesota rocking on wisconsin?! never!

coughcough dont you hate it when the wind blows the wrong way and you can smell 'sconsin smell? coughcough

:angel:

zonelistener said:

You're right he wasn't any better.

There are three excellent Democratic candidates that have stepped forward and a recent survey said that 43% of the people of Wisconsin would prefer someone other than Scott McCallum to be governor (30% wanted to see him re-elected).

It's true that one man can't make a difference. I am very well-read on Ventura's stances on the issues and almost completely agree with him on everything. His problem was evidently the failure to get cooperation with either the Reps or Democrats.

Jesse Ventura should be given more respect from everyone involve in this discussion. He proved that democracy is still alive in America, and that you don't have to "sell-out" to get the public's following.

The recession may be blamed on Ventura, but we know he has nothing to do with it. It's a collective responsiblity and should be looked upon as such.

I hope he campaigns for whoever runs in his place. He seems to be a headstrong, egomaniac at times, so who knows if he'll even do that, but I figure he'll help the party as much as he can.

JessicaAnn said:
At least your state government isn't facing a $1.1 billion deficit ...

Yeah...ours was $2 billion. :D :D

Danospano said:
Jesse Ventura should be given more respect from everyone involve in this discussion. He proved that democracy is still alive in America, and that you don't have to "sell-out" to get the public's following.

The recession may be blamed on Ventura, but we know he has nothing to do with it. It's a collective responsiblity and should be looked upon as such.

...He seems to be a headstrong, egomaniac at times...

Very good points, Dano.

I have to say I'm glad he won't be our governor again, but he did some things very well. He's just been too thin-skinned, loud-mouthed, and unable to build consensus with the legislature.

so norm coleman's office calls me up today:

guy: can you vote?

me: well, i'm 18, that says i can.

guy: who you voting for for senate?

me: uhh, who you want me to vote fer?

guy: norm coleman. are you a republican?

me: why should i be?

guy: there are too many reasons to tell you in the time i have.

me: wanna go out to lunch?

guy: (lol) no, i just wanted to let you know that we want coleman to work in the senate, support bush, and get some fiscal responsibility in washington.

me: uhm, ok

guy: if i sent you an envelope, do you think you could spare twenty, maybe twent-five dollars to support coleman?

me: if i send him $25, will he pay for my tuition?

guy: no.

me: uhm, then no. but he can have my consideration for a vote.

guy: ok, have a nice day.

:) i looooooooove telemarketers.

Yes, we are in primary run-off season here and getting those campaign telemarketing calls as well. I got one last week from the state Senate candidate who is running as "The Family Choice" and calls himself the Christian candidate, etc. Well, I have his opponents sign in my yard, and know HIM to also be a Christian! The lady asked if I would vote for her candidate ("The Family Choice") and I said "Thank you!" If he is "The Family Choice" and "the Christian candidate," does that mean the one I support hates families and is the Anti-Christian candidate? I wanted to ask her, but feared they would stalk me and conduct some type of character assassination next time I drink a beer at the local Mexican restaurant. Political telemarketers scare me.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I wanted to ask her, but feared they would stalk me and conduct some type of character assassination next time I drink a beer at the local Mexican restaurant.
~U2Alabama

Only if it is a Corona..

XX,
L.Unplugged

Two Points:

1) Back in the day when Norm Coleman was a Democrat (he has switched to Republican - but I still like him) - I did a lot of work with his office at my job. I even did Political phone calls for him (after he turned Republican - I HATED the Dem candidate for Mayor - she was a BITCH - I met her personally at the Democratic National Convention in 1996 - I was there for work as a journalist). He is the only candidate I have ever given my money to (besides my father - but that's a different story). Since then, I have been honored ( :laugh: :lol: ) with a card for my wallet saying "Official Republican" and "Official Geroge W. Bush supporter." I may sell them on E-Bay.

2) There is a person running for governor in Iowa - his name is Sukup.
Sukup for Governor.

zonelistener said:
with a card for my wallet saying "Official Republican" and "Official Geroge W. Bush supporter." I may sell them on E-Bay.

:ohmy: jeff jeff jeff! can i pleeeeeeeeeeeeease have them?! please! i'll buy you something nice at savers!! pleeeeaaasssee?

*stops begging cos she knows jeff is a nice enough man to joost give her said cards and/or a white board and/or some road runner tattoos and/or other shit he wants to git rid of. :D *

which reminds me...i got you something from work...it costs one "official republican" card and one "official W. supporter" card.

Back
Top Bottom