Jerusalem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No condemnation from me, seems like a fully legitimate military response to the Israeli war against the Palestinians that has been stepped up for the past number of days (but, oddly, about which we have heard practically NOTHING from the US media. Odd, that.)

Graduates serve as rabbis and rabbinical judges in Israel and Jewish settlements
School has played a major role in ideology and theology of Israeli religious settlement movement

Interesting - seems like a well targetted attack - I certainly wouldn't condone all Palestinian 'terror' attacks but targeting land thieves is fully legitimate and morally justified, in my view.

financeguy said:
No condemnation from me, seems like a fully legitimate military response to the Israeli war against the Palestinians that has been stepped up for the past number of days (but, oddly, about which we have heard practically NOTHING from the US media. Odd, that.)

No condemnation?

A terrorists walks into a library and opens fire with an AK-47 murdering innocent people is a fully legitimate military response?

A well targeted attack?

Do you really believe that?

Do you really believe that it has been Israel who has waged war on the Palestinians and Arabs since 1948?

the iron horse said:
No condemnation?

I condemn all the killing.

the iron horse said:

A terrorists walks into a library and opens fire with an AK-47 murdering innocent people is a fully legitimate military response?
-

a person walks into a room and kills other persons

when killing is legitimate is a matter of perspective for many

the iron horse said:

A well targeted attack?

do you believe, the attacks by Israel, the last two weeks on Gaza are any less well targeted?
They have killed multiples of these killings, of innocent civilians, by Israel's own reporting.

the iron horse said:
Do you really believe that it has been Israel who has waged war on the Palestinians and Arabs since 1948?

The settler movement into Palestinian lands is waging war.

If there weren't so many innocent lives at stake, I'd want to put a fence around the entire area and let the extremists duke it out. I'm siding with the Israelis and Palestinians who want a peaceful solution and who are willing to work towards both a safe Israel and a free and viable Palestine state. Palestinians who think the only good Jew is a dead Jew, and Israelis who think it's their God given right to play land grab and marginalize other groups get little sympathy from me. Both side would severely benefit from kicking out the fundies. Until that happens, nothing will change. And to be completely honest, I'm starting to care less about the conflict with each passing day.

I can understand how you feel

but children are born into this hell on earth everyday

and they deserve better

Last edited:
the iron horse said:
No condemnation?

A well targeted attack?

Here is where we agree, for once...heh.

deep said:
The settler movement into Palestinian lands is waging war.

Frankly, I see this as "justification after the fact," rather than a real reason for the Intifada. I think it has everything to do with the existence of Israel...period. Hamas, in particular, has more than stated that it will settle for no less than the destruction of Israel. After all, when Israel removed Israeli settlers out of Gaza, it certainly didn't placate Hamas whatsoever.

So, frankly, I think we need to call a spade a spade here, and admit that a Hamas victory is in nobody's best interest--not in Israel's interest, nor is it in the interest of the Palestinian territories. They are violent, intolerant, religious fanatic terrorists of the worst order, and they do not need our sympathies. No, it just emboldens them further.

What is sorely lacking--and has been lacking since the creation of Israel in 1947--has been a permanent solution for the generations of displaced Palestinian refugees. As much as the Arab Middle Eastern states use the plight of the Palestinians as a nationalist rallying cry, they have no special love for the Palestinians anymore than Israel does. They are seen as a nuisance by neighboring Lebanon, Jordan, and Egypt; and so there is no real desire by any of these nations for a solution outside of keeping these people "imprisoned" in refugee camps. Just as the U.N. imposed the creation of Israel, they may have to equally impose a reasonable solution to the generations-old Palestinian refugee problem here.

I am tired of the Middle East to be honest.

My old boss (an Israeli Jew, btw) said the best solution would be to give everyone in the region 2 weeks notice to vacate and then nuke the land into oblivion so that it is uninhabitable for 10,000 years. I'm really coming to a similar conclusion myself.

DrTeeth said:
If there weren't so many innocent lives at stake, I'd want to put a fence around the entire area and let the extremists duke it out. I'm siding with the Israelis and Palestinians who want a peaceful solution and who are willing to work towards both a safe Israel and a free and viable Palestine state. Palestinians who think the only good Jew is a dead Jew, and Israelis who think it's their God given right to play land grab and marginalize other groups get little sympathy from me. Both side would severely benefit from kicking out the fundies. Until that happens, nothing will change. And to be completely honest, I'm starting to care less about the conflict with each passing day.

financeguy said:

You absolutely have got to be kidding.....

A "military" response? Was this terrorist a soldier? Were those students soldiers? was the library they were studying in an army barracks? Was the library a military target?

And can you tell me exactly what "war" we're waging against the Palestinians? The Negev area of Israel has been living under constant shelling by Katyusha and Kassam rockets for the past 7 years, injuring civillians (including children). When Israel unilaterally withdrew from the Gaza strip in 2004, the Palestinian terrorists used the evacuated areas to move their Kassam rockets closer to the city of Sderot and continued their relentless shelling of the city - DELIBERATELY targeting our civillian population.

And now the Palestinian terrorists have upgraded the missiles to include longer range missiles that can now reach the city of Ashkelon (which is half an hour from where I live).

Do you really expect Israel to sit back and just take it? To abandon our citizens and leave them as sitting ducks? HELL NO!

For the sake of argument, how would you feel if you lived in NYC and you were constantly being fired on from the New Jersey side, placing you and your family in danger and completely disrupting your life? How would you feel if you couldn't go to work or send your kids to school or even walk down the street without the fear of a rocket falling right next to you and injuring you horribly - as what happened to an 8 year old boy last week whose leg had to be amputated?

It's very easy to sit in your comfortable living room and condemm us for our "war" against the Palestinians but let me tell you something: It is not a war we're waging, we are defending ourselves against the relentless war the terrorists have been waging against us for years. Israel had had enough of sitting and doing nothing.

It is sad that innocent women and children on the Palestinian side are being killed and wounded but that is NOT Israel's fault. Hamas and Islamic Jihad deliberately place their rocket launchers and headquarters among the civillian population of Gaza and they don't give a damm about their own people - quite the opposite: they LOVE when their civillians are killed in Israeli strikes cos then they can picture us as barbarians and it's very sad that you have bought into their propaganda machine.

I saw the expression of joy and exhilaration in Gaza after they heard about the terrorist attack on Thursday. They were dancing in the streets and handing out candy. Have you EVER seen the Israeli people do that? Have you ever seen the residents of Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem gather in the main squares and jump for joy for all the Palestinians killed?

No.....and that is what separates us from the terrorists - Israel celebrates and sanctifies life while the terrorists worship and love death. Radical Islam is all about death and killing the infidels and training their children to be suicide bombers against us in the misguided belief that they will reap the rewards of heaven when they sacrifice their lives for their "cause".

So, to make a long story short, the Israeli campaign against the terrorists in Gaza will continue until the terrorists stop their shelling and rocket fire against us.

And just let me tell you something else: they may kill us but they will NEVER defeat us!! The state of Israel has been here for 60 years and make no mistake that we will be here for the next 60 years and beyond. Long after the terrorists are dead, forgotten and burning in hell for all eternity.

Israel is a peace-loving nation and we have always sought peace with our neighbours - Egypt and Jordan being shining examples - but we WILL defend ourselves against those who seek to destroy us in a war that they cannot and will not win.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Last edited:
anitram said:
I am tired of the Middle East to be honest.

My old boss (an Israeli Jew, btw) said the best solution would be to give everyone in the region 2 weeks notice to vacate and then nuke the land into oblivion so that it is uninhabitable for 10,000 years. I'm really coming to a similar conclusion myself.

I've heard this argument too, from mutiple people, especially in my international politics classes.

It's sad that it's gotten to this point :sigh:

AchtungBono said:

A "military" response? Was this terrorist a soldier? Were those students soldiers? was the library they were studying in an army barracks? Was the library a military target?

And can you tell me exactly what "war" we're waging against the Palestinians? The Negev area of Israel has been living under constant shelling by Katyusha and Kassam rockets for the past 7 years, injuring civillians (including children). When Israel unilaterally withdrew from the Gaza strip in 2004, the Palestinian terrorists used the evacuated areas to move their Kassam rockets closer to the city of Sderot and continued their relentless shelling of the city - DELIBERATELY targeting our civillian population.

And now the Palestinian terrorists have upgraded the missiles to include longer range missiles that can now reach the city of Ashkelon (which is half an hour from where I live).

Do you really expect Israel to sit back and just take it? To abandon our citizens and leave them as sitting ducks? HELL NO!

For the sake of argument, how would you feel if you lived in NYC and you were constantly being fired on from the New Jersey side, placing you and your family in danger and completely disrupting your life? How would you feel if you couldn't go to work or send your kids to school or even walk down the street without the fear of a rocket falling right next to you and injuring you horribly - as what happened to an 8 year old boy last week whose leg had to be amputated?

It's very easy to sit in your comfortable living room and condemm us for our "war" against the Palestinians but let me tell you something: It is not a war we're waging, we are defending ourselves against the relentless war the terrorists have been waging against us for years. Israel had had enough of sitting and doing nothing.

It is sad that innocent women and children on the Palestinian side are being killed and wounded but that is NOT Israel's fault. Hamas and Islamic Jihad deliberately place their rocket launchers and headquarters among the civillian population of Gaza and they don't give a damm about their own people - quite the opposite: they LOVE when their civillians are killed in Israeli strikes cos then they can picture us as barbarians and it's very sad that you have bought into their propaganda machine.

I saw the expression of joy and exhilaration in Gaza after they heard about the terrorist attack on Thursday. They were dancing in the streets and handing out candy. Have you EVER seen the Israeli people do that? Have you ever seen the residents of Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem gather in the main squares and jump for joy for all the Palestinians killed?

No.....and that is what separates us from the terrorists - Israel celebrates and sanctifies life while the terrorists worship and love death. Radical Islam is all about death and killing the infidels and training their children to be suicide bombers against us in the misguided belief that they will reap the rewards of heaven when they sacrifice their lives for their "cause".

So, to make a long story short, the Israeli campaign against the terrorists in Gaza will continue until the terrorists stop their shelling and rocket fire against us.

And just let me tell you something else: they may kill us but they will NEVER defeat us!! The state of Israel has been here for 60 years and make no mistake that we will be here for the next 60 years and beyond. Long after the terrorists are dead, forgotten and burning in hell for all eternity.

Israel is a peace-loving nation and we have always sought peace with our neighbours - Egypt and Jordan being shining examples - but we WILL defend ourselves against those who seek to destroy us in a war that they cannot and will not win.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Well said......:yes:

AchtungBono said:

I misinterpreted the article. I read it as some form of training academy for soldiers but it is actually a religious school. You are right - it was not a legitimate target.

As such, though I do not support the activities of settlers, I condemn this attack without reservation.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

I misinterpreted the article. I read it as some form of training academy for soldiers but it is actually a religious school. You are right - it was not a legitimate target.

As such, though I do not support the activities of settlers, I condemn this attack without reservation.

I thank you very much for that financeguy.

Unfortunately, there are many who misunderstand this situation and think of Israel as the agressor and the main reason for the neverending cycle of violence in the middle east, and this is entirely not so. We never strike first. All our actions are purely defensive and we never EVER target civillians in our strikes - unlike the other side.

Last edited:
AchtungBono said:

Am Yisrael Chai!

I'm printing this post to keep. Best post I've read in my time here.

AchtungBono :up:

Back
Top Bottom