Jeffrey Sachs/ Millenium Promise Featured In New People Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I just saw this on the People web site, just thought it might be of some interest

A Village of Hope

In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.

http://people.aol.com/people/galleries/0,19884,1168369,00.html

"By providing fertilizer and seeds as promised, Sachs's team has brought hope to villagers in Mwandana. "Things have been promised before and not been implemented," says Cecilia. "But when I saw fertilizer coming, I said, 'This is it now. They were really telling us the truth.' I am thinking it will be the turning point in the village, especially for me."

:up:

There are a number of organizations working to bring relief to Malawi. Working at the village level really makes a long term impact.

Sachs was on the Colbert Report last night. I was disappointed that he gave a really simplistic talk about the African crisis, although given Colbert's schtick and his time allotment for interviews, it would have been hard for him to discuss it with any depth. Sachs was particularly angered by military spending vs the amount of aid given to Africa. He said that the amount of aid promised for the next five years was equal to one day's worth of military spending.

I'm going to pick up his book. I've heard from others that it's a fascinating read.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this issue of People.

I guess I'll be buying the March 13th edition of People magazine.:wink:

This kind of realistic exposure of the conditions of people's lives in Africa is just the sort of media covearge which is needed to inform the American People that real and lasting change for the better is possible in Africa - often simply beginning by installing a clean water source.

Dr. Jeffrey Sachs in People mag - :applaud:

I'll have to check which issue this article is in. I subscribe to People, and the latest one I have is with Sheryl Crow on the cover :hmm: Too bad I don't have more free time or I would have been watching The Colbert Report
8.gif

I would recomend his book.

While he is no master of prose by any means, it was quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom