Jealousy of America - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Banned

Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
Local Time: 12:46 PM
Jealousy of America

I wonder why? We certainly aren't the prettiest country there is. The most beautiful land in the world is not really here. The most beautiful architecture isn't either. We aren't the birthplace of Jesus.

Why are people so jealous that it turns to unfair criticism (and what is sometimes perceived as hatred?)

Is it U2 related? (specifically when relating to this forum since this is a U2 forum) Is it because U2 played so many shows in the US this time around and not in a particular country outside the US? Is it because of the flag in Bono's jacket? The flag during SBS post 911?

What if this country were to actually become an island, as we are constantly being accused of. What if we closed up and ignored the rest of the world and let them build whatever whenever. Conquer and blow up whomever they pleased, while we parked our planes and boats in museums to gather dust all of the meanwhile? But never opened the door to let anyone in. Never helped anyone out, never bailed anyone out.

Would you appreciate us then?

Old 08-20-2002, 10:48 PM   #2
Banned

Local Time: 01:46 PM

Z EDGE

YOUR FUCKINNG PLANES , Altitude ,

YOUR SPEECHES , YOUR " GOD BLESS AMERICA "

YEAR AND SUPPORT FOR ISRAEL

Old 08-20-2002, 10:53 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Maybe it is our version of football.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #4
Banned

Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
my Altitude?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:58 PM   #5
Refugee

Zedge your are taking this in a way, that at least in my point of view is not true, you acuse me of antiamerican, I'm sure I'm not one, I have quite a few american friends, in this forum as in real life, and I don't think they consider me one. I obviously don't agree with many of your posts or by the way stances of the USA government, as much as I don't agree with some of the stances of my own government, I don't see any hatred in that, is just my opinion, that we disagree doesn't mean to take things personal, you think militarism is an option, I refuse to think it is.

And I say again, I hope you don't take things personal.

Peace.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:00 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Maybe it is our version of football.

Now that is definetely the wrong answer
Old 08-20-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed
Zedge your are taking this in a way, that at least in my point of view is not true, you acuse me of antiamerican, I'm sure I'm not one, I have quite a few american friends, in this forum as in real life, and I don't think they consider me one. I obviously don't agree with many of your posts or by the way stances of the USA government, as much as I don't agree with some of the stances of my own government, I don't see any hatred in that, is just my opinion, that we disagree doesn't mean to take things personal, you think militarism is an option, I refuse to think it is.

And I say again, I hope you don't take things personal.

Peace.
Well thank you for your answer.

I don't know how else you want me to take this though? It is practically shoved down my throat every time I enter FYM, as I still have the right to do.

I don't know but the americans here in FYM don't start 20 threads a week about MEXICAN ABUSES or whatever in the hell, take your pick?

But moreover, and back to the question.

What I posted is what a lot of Americans feel (in the real world and not necessarily this forums). A lot of us realize what goes on in the world, are aware of things outside of america. We hear about the opposition to america from damn near everyone except Israel.

Honestly, if I were to wear my Old Navy t-shirt with the american flag on it down the main street in say Mexico or The Netherlands, what would happen? If the posts on this board were any indication of the temperature of the people in the represenative countries I mentioned, I feel I would probably be beaten to a pulp for wearing the shirt.

Yet, what if a dutch fellow were to wear a Dutch flag t-shirt down Hollywood & Vine or Peachtree st in atlanta? Nothing, they do it all the time.

I think it is a valid question.

Personally I would perfer peace, I just don't understand how anyone could think it is even an option right now.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyplane

Well thank you for your answer.

I don't know how else you want me to take this though? It is practically shoved down my throat every time I enter FYM, as I still have the right to do.

I don't know but the americans here in FYM don't start 20 threads a week about MEXICAN ABUSES or whatever in the hell, take your pick?

But moreover, and back to the question.

What I posted is what a lot of Americans feel (in the real world and not necessarily this forums). A lot of us realize what goes on in the world, are aware of things outside of america. We hear about the opposition to america from damn near everyone except Israel.

Honestly, if I were to wear my Old Navy t-shirt with the american flag on it down the main street in say Mexico or The Netherlands, what would happen? If the posts on this board were any indication of the temperature of the people in the represenative countries I mentioned, I feel I would probably be beaten to a pulp for wearing the shirt.

Yet, what if a dutch fellow were to wear a Dutch flag down Hollywood & Vine or Peachtree st in atlanta? Nothing, they do it all the time.

I think it is a valid question.

Personally I would perfer peace, I just don't understand how anyone could think it is even an option right now.
I think we get post from abuses in many countries, personally if you posted about abuses here ( and of course there are) I would try to document the cases, and the actions that would has been taken if that would be the case.

About walking on Mexico City with the american flag...you could be walking dressed as Uncle Sam and no one would provoque you in the way you think, maybe some would laugh seriously, you can see some american flags once and then in people clothes, I guess less than in USA, but they exist, the americans are well treated here, you can walk and no one bother you, if you would have a problem , someone surelly would give you a hand to help, and I believe that this happen in most places. Obviously some places not for the war cicunstances.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:36 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed

I guess less than in USA, but they exist, the americans are well threated here,
I think you mean "treated," not "threated."
Old 08-20-2002, 11:54 PM   #10
Refugee

Thanks speed
Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Excellent thread Mr Z
I was thinking of posting a thread like this but you articulated the question better

My conclusion is this...
Look at these other countries as children -
some good
some bad
some beautiful
some ugly..

when these children get in over their heads/in a jam who do they call?
They call THEIR DADDY-THE USA,

As children look to a father these countries look to us..?

As father's get no thanks The USA never does either

DB9
Old 08-21-2002, 12:15 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Normal america is a continent you know.

i know where this post is coming from. i talk to a lot of international people too and get plenty of slag from them. but they understand the catch-22 we've got. do we "save"? or do we "allow" suffering? or is it even our business? who knows.

it's easy to get upset with everyone talking about the us's every move. but, honestly, were i the one to have posted each of raf's threads, would you call me unamerican?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:45 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Excellent thread Mr Z
I was thinking of posting a thread like this but you articulated the question better

My conclusion is this...
Look at these other countries as children -
some good
some bad
some beautiful
some ugly..

when these children get in over their heads/in a jam who do they call?
They call THEIR DADDY-THE USA,

As children look to a father these countries look to us..?

As father's get no thanks The USA never does either

DB9
Diamond you are a cool enough guy it seems, however I am going to try and restrain my tounge in response to this reply......OK in answer to your initial question spyplane, it is the arrogance that is expressed by many Americans and which was so eloquently displayed in the above quote by diamond that makes me for one get the shits with all things American...............I have never asked for their help and I think that American foregin policy since WW2 has so much to answer for, the Prime Minister of Australia may think George W is his Dadddy, but hell will freeze over before I would ever acknowledge Bush or anything American as my 'daddy', dont assume that the rest of the world are poor little defenseless children who need help, there really is a lot more to the world than all that is American, thank f@%k I am Australian
Old 08-21-2002, 12:50 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora

there really is a lot more to the world than all that is American,
there IS?!

o right...*slaps forehead* we only THINK we rule the world...

oz..i am in absolute agreement with your post. it's the ego on so many americans that make the us look more ugly than it is. but, we aren't all that bad.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:03 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:46 AM
LMAO OzA. I am dying here, can you imagine anyone getting so hooked on Johnny? I look at some of the guys here, sorry to name names, but people like Z Edge, Bubba, Bama, Diamond. I cannot imagine anyone having that much faith in dickless little Johnny. Point is, we dont have that level of patriotism. I dont think America as a whole has an ego problem, and I think for the main part, specific Americans aren't all that blind about their country's faults. America is like anywhere else, its got its good and bad, does good and bad. Its just such a huge country and has such a large amount of influence, anything they do is noticed and picked apart by the rest of the world. I too, would be mighty pissed if anyone was this critical of Australia. We are lucky in a way that no one really gives adamn about us. Politically, we are weak. Let the rest of the world laugh at us. I'm happier this way. I sure as crap couldn't cope if johnny supporters showed up like they do with Bush. It would make me more than cringe lol.

The rest of the world will always pay attention to America. What they do is of importance to many. On the other hand, whether we are right in our criticisms, we should try and remember there are Americans out there who will be offended by constant bagging of the country they call home.

I didnt really have anything to add to this, I just wanted to say I'm pissing myself at the thought of John Howard having fans.